News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,347 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #975 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #976 on: February 04, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »
Just to get away from politics and terrible writing.  Sure, it's not earth-shattering ideas but it's far more interesting that letting Theo walk.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #977 on: February 04, 2016, 09:28:44 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 04, 2016, 09:25:21 AM
Just to get away from politics and terrible writing.  Sure, it's not earth-shattering ideas but it's far more interesting that letting Theo walk.

I read that article, was glad to see someone nationally highlight that for all of the talk of DA CUBS ONLY WON CUZ OF TANKING (which admittedly played a huge part in acquiring cornerstones like Bryant and Schwarber), the rebuild was only achieved so quickly because Theo and Co. made out like bandits in a number of trades.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #978 on: February 04, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 09:28:44 AM

I read that article, was glad to see someone nationally highlight that for all of the talk of DA CUBS ONLY WON CUZ OF TANKING (which admittedly played a huge part in acquiring cornerstones like Bryant and Schwarber), the rebuild was only achieved so quickly because Theo and Co. made out like bandits in a number of trades.

This. It would have been enough robbery if nabbing Strop and Arrieta for Feldman was their only good trade. But seeing all the other trades had me like

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #979 on: February 04, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »

To be fair, tanking was also a major reason for the 1-year Feldman deal and trading away Samardzija.  It also allowed them to carry Rondon as a rule V pick on their roster for a whole season.

I guess that's my way of pointing out the obvious, which is tanking is more than just about draft picks.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #980 on: February 04, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 04, 2016, 09:44:25 AM

To be fair, tanking was also a major reason for the 1-year Feldman deal and trading away Samardzija.  It also allowed them to carry Rondon as a rule V pick on their roster for a whole season.

I guess that's my way of pointing out the obvious, which is tanking is more than just about draft picks.

Right, I obviously wasn't arguing with the fact that the Cubs tanked, it was the idea that tanking is somehow easy or that it's as simple as "1. Lose a lot of games 2. Draft in the top 5 3. Winz", which a lot of Theo critics like to say it is. They still had to get those picks right AND pull of an a ridiculous amount of successful trades to build this team.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #981 on: February 04, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 09:55:05 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 04, 2016, 09:44:25 AM

Right, I obviously wasn't arguing with the fact that the Cubs tanked, it was the idea that tanking is somehow easy or that it's as simple as "1. Lose a lot of games 2. Draft in the top 5 3. Winz", which a lot of Theo critics like to say it is. They still had to get those picks right AND pull of an a ridiculous amount of successful trades to build this team.

And even with the picks they had, they managed to be pretty damn smart...picking Schwarber at #4 when nobody else had him in their top 10 is a good example.

Oh, and let's not forget their diving into the pool of international FAs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #983 on: February 04, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »
DPD.

If Murton makes the big club or just languishes at AAA just in case, I don't really have an opinion about it. Time has passed. He's not a prospect or someone the front office or fans are pushing for an everyday spot in lieu of an upgrade. Replacement Level Murton is not a threat to my sanity. That battle is over. I won lost.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #984 on: February 04, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 04, 2016, 10:34:46 AM
DPD.

If Murton makes the big club or just languishes at AAA just in case, I don't really have an opinion about it. Time has passed. He's not a prospect or someone the front office or fans are pushing for an everyday spot in lieu of an upgrade. Replacement Level Murton is not a threat to my sanity. That battle is over. I won lost.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #985 on: February 04, 2016, 10:51:16 AM »
DPD.

I really cannot imagine how wrong things would have to go before Murton could actually make the team. He's a right handed corner only outfielder who probably can't hit anymore. My guess is Theo brought him in for shits and giggles and to be a coach to the young'ns about how to make more contact or something.

I mean I would assume they would go to Coghlan, try Baez or Bryant in a corner, move Zobrist to left, and try Mack Seizure before they'd even consider using Murton for anything.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #986 on: February 04, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 10:51:16 AM
DPD.

I really cannot imagine how wrong things would have to go before Murton could actually make the team. He's a right handed corner only outfielder who probably can't hit anymore. My guess is Theo brought him in for shits and giggles and to be a coach to the young'ns about how to make more contact or something.

I mean I would assume they would go to Coghlan, try Baez or Bryant in a corner, move Zobrist to left, and try Mack Seizure before they'd even consider using Murton for anything.

Theo is just taking BP Wrigleyville's advice. He's going to cut Heyward at the end of spring training because turnover is good and start Murton out there.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #987 on: February 04, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »
DPD.

He's going to take Soler's job and you're in denial.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #988 on: February 04, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
Seriously,  it doesn't look like there's any better option for that Iowa LF spot than Murton.
TIME TO POST!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #989 on: February 04, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on February 04, 2016, 11:23:51 AM
Seriously,  it doesn't look like there's any better option for that Iowa LF spot than Murton.

Andreoli was pretty decent there last year.

He's not much of a prospect, but he's *only* 25. 

Makes more sense than Murton.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.