News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,345 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #990 on: February 04, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 04, 2016, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on February 04, 2016, 11:23:51 AM
Seriously,  it doesn't look like there's any better option for that Iowa LF spot than Murton.

Andreoli was pretty decent there last year.

He's not much of a prospect, but he's *only* 25. 

Makes more sense than Murton.

Iowa has a DH.  Just glad to have him back in the states. He needs to start writing checks for college in 2 1/2 years.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #991 on: February 04, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
If Iowa could find at bats in 2014 for some scrub like Manny Ramirez just because he played a bit part on some teams that have sentimental meaning for Theo, I'm sure they can find some at bats this year for the greatest right handed hitter of all time*

*All time in Japan where All Time=2010
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #992 on: February 04, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 11:35:11 AM
If Iowa could find at bats in 2014 for some scrub like Manny Ramirez just because he played a bit part on some teams that have sentimental meaning for Theo, I'm sure they can find some at bats this year for the greatest right handed hitter of all time*

I'm assuming this is meant in jest, but I'm pretty sure that sentimental value wasn't the main thing Manny was bringing.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #993 on: February 04, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 04, 2016, 11:30:35 AM

Iowa has a DH. 

...and his name is Dan Vogelbach.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #994 on: February 04, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on February 04, 2016, 11:47:02 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 04, 2016, 11:30:35 AM

Iowa has a DH. 

...and his name is Dan Vogelbach.

Now you know...the rest of the story.

/Paul Harvey
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #995 on: February 04, 2016, 12:11:46 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 04, 2016, 11:42:28 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 04, 2016, 11:35:11 AM

I'm assuming this is meant in jest, but I'm pretty sure that sentimental value wasn't the main thing Manny was bringing.

No, I'm dead fucking serious, you want to fight me on this
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #996 on: February 04, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »
I don't know what everybody's problem is. Matt Murton is the Japanese hitting sensation that we've all been waiting for.
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #997 on: February 04, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on February 04, 2016, 02:34:52 PM
I don't know what everybody's problem is. Matt Murton is the Japanese hitting sensation that we've all been waiting for.

Finally it's acceptable to wear my "HORRY COW!" t-shirt in public again.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #998 on: February 04, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 04, 2016, 02:36:07 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on February 04, 2016, 02:34:52 PM

Finally it's acceptable to wear my "HORRY COW!" t-shirt in public again.

I laughed so damn loud.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #999 on: February 11, 2016, 07:01:50 AM »
http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/02/10/will-there-be-a-back-of-the-rotation-competition-between-adam-warren-and-kyle-hendricks/

Basically it sounds like if Hammel is healthy and looks like first half Hammel of the last two years he probably earns a rotation spot thanks to being a relatively highly paid veteran who probably wouldn't make a good reliever given his first inning struggles, and so Warren is battling Hendricks for a rotation spot. Hendricks could potentially go to Iowa, since he still has options left.

A lot of people seem to be objecting to this on the simple basis that Hendricks has "earned his spot" and is too good to be stuck in AAA, but first half Hammel was awesome and Warren has some great stuff, and sending Hendricks down might be a way to ensure a roster spot for a guy like Neil Ramirez in the pen. I say I trust Joe and Bosio if they decide their best starting rotation means Hendricks spends part of the year in Des Moines.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1000 on: February 11, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 11, 2016, 07:01:50 AM
http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/02/10/will-there-be-a-back-of-the-rotation-competition-between-adam-warren-and-kyle-hendricks/

Basically it sounds like if Hammel is healthy and looks like first half Hammel of the last two years he probably earns a rotation spot thanks to being a relatively highly paid veteran who probably wouldn't make a good reliever given his first inning struggles, and so Warren is battling Hendricks for a rotation spot. Hendricks could potentially go to Iowa, since he still has options left.

A lot of people seem to be objecting to this on the simple basis that Hendricks has "earned his spot" and is too good to be stuck in AAA, but first half Hammel was awesome and Warren has some great stuff, and sending Hendricks down might be a way to ensure a roster spot for a guy like Neil Ramirez in the pen. I say I trust Joe and Bosio if they decide their best starting rotation means Hendricks spends part of the year in Des Moines.

Me too.  Hendricks can't afford to have a poor spring, especially if Warren has a good one.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1001 on: February 11, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »

This. They're in the business of winning the pennant, not tending to the feelings of a back-of-the-rotation guy.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1002 on: February 11, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 11, 2016, 08:16:22 AM

Me too.  Hendricks can't afford to have a poor spring, especially if Warren has a good one.

This off-season can't end soon enough.

Having said that, why would they decide to put more weight on 30 or so ST innings over 180 very good innings last year?  Why not just leave Warren in the pen until the inevitable injury or until Hammel implodes in the second half?  Better yet, yet, The Cubs can do something very forward thinking and handcuff pitchers.  Hammel throws the first 3 innings, Warren the next three, every 5th day.  Or, some such schedule like that with Hendricks, Hammel, Warren, and Cahill.  They have the arms to get all crazy like that and the flexibility on the positional player bench.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1003 on: February 11, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 11, 2016, 10:01:05 AM

Having said that, why would they decide to put more weight on 30 or so ST innings over 180 very good innings last year?  Why not just leave Warren in the pen until the inevitable injury or until Hammel implodes in the second half?  Better yet, yet, The Cubs can do something very forward thinking and handcuff pitchers.  Hammel throws the first 3 innings, Warren the next three, every 5th day.  Or, some such schedule like that with Hendricks, Hammel, Warren, and Cahill.  They have the arms to get all crazy like that and the flexibility on the positional player bench.

I don't think it's about spring training numbers.

1) Does Hammel look healthy and capable of looking like first half Hammel again? If so he probably gets first crack at a rotation spot because he doesn't have an option like Hendricks does and he makes way more money.

2)Do they really like Warren as a starter? He's got better "stuff" and velocity than Hendricks, and rumors suggest they've been telling people they see him as a starter more than a reliever. If they think he can be better (and go deeper into games) than Hendricks, they start him over Hendricks.

3)Hendricks doesn't really make a ton of sense in a bullpen that already has Wood/Richard/Cahill as swing-men/long relief. Keep him stretched out in Iowa and let that bullpen spot go to Neil Ramirez or Edwards or another fireballer that is on the bubble.

Then you can call up Kyle if someone gets hurt or struggles and he's already stretched out.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1004 on: February 11, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 11, 2016, 10:11:14 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 11, 2016, 10:01:05 AM

I don't think it's about spring training numbers.

1) Does Hammel look healthy and capable of looking like first half Hammel again? If so he probably gets first crack at a rotation spot because he doesn't have an option like Hendricks does and he makes way more money.

2)Do they really like Warren as a starter? He's got better "stuff" and velocity than Hendricks, and rumors suggest they've been telling people they see him as a starter more than a reliever. If they think he can be better (and go deeper into games) than Hendricks, they start him over Hendricks.

3)Hendricks doesn't really make a ton of sense in a bullpen that already has Wood/Richard/Cahill as swing-men/long relief. Keep him stretched out in Iowa and let that bullpen spot go to Neil Ramirez or Edwards or another fireballer that is on the bubble.

Then you can call up Kyle if someone gets hurt or struggles and he's already stretched out.

I just think they have the resources and personnel to really think outside the box with their pitching staff.  The way Maddon used his position players, he can use his pitchers similarly.  This was brought up in a Fangraphs article earlier this winter.  Made some sense.

Basically, you need to use up about 400 innings between the last two rotation spots so you can spread those innings out between 4 pitchers (or how many ever) and maximize their effectiveness.