News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,299 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
With the Russell single, the Cubs have now scored eight runs and given up just seven outs.  They're going to destroy a career or two before they're finished.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
That La Stella hate campaign is looking Rubio-like in its futility.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2016, 03:40:49 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 24, 2016, 02:50:27 PM

Or maybe, it's working perfectly.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on April 24, 2016, 03:40:49 PM

Who is La Stella?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 24, 2016, 04:37:20 PM

Who is La Stella?

Main character in a Spanish production of Streetcar.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: April 24, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 24, 2016, 05:01:25 PM
Quote from: Bort on April 24, 2016, 04:37:20 PM

Who is La Stella?

Main character in a Spanish production of Streetcar.

Kurt.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-cubs-are-the-best-base-running-team-too/
"Whatever your stance, you're getting one more Cubs post for the time being, because for all the attention the lineup and rotation has received, there's another area in which they're deserving of attention, an area that often goes overlooked but that can very much matter. In addition to the lineup having a top-five adjusted batting line with the most runs scored, the rotation being the best in baseball by ERA and second-best by FIP, and the defense leading everyone in Defensive Runs Saved, the Cubs have also been the best base-running team in the sport. Not only is it a continuation of last year's success in that department, but it's something that was seemingly improved by one offseason acquisition, and perhaps more importantly, amplified by another."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2016, 10:43:30 AM »
DPD, but also from that article:

QuoteThe Cubs wanted more contact. They went out and got Heyward, who makes an above-average amount of contact. They went out and got Ben Zobrist, who makes an exceptional amount of contact. Presumably, they worked with some of their existing players and focused on getting more contact out of them. Last year, no one struck out more than the Cubs. This year, only six teams have struck out less than the Cubs, who have cut down their team strikeout rate by nearly five percentage points. Bryant's strikeouts are down, Addison Russell's strikeouts are down, Jorge Soler's strikeouts are down, and adding Heyward and Zobrist can only help.

That's a huge improvement, I hope it holds up as they face better pitching. Russell especially seems to have made major improvements in that department.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 25, 2016, 10:43:30 AM

QuoteThe Cubs wanted more contact. They went out and got Heyward, who makes an above-average amount of contact. They went out and got Ben Zobrist, who makes an exceptional amount of contact. Presumably, they worked with some of their existing players and focused on getting more contact out of them. Last year, no one struck out more than the Cubs. This year, only six teams have struck out less than the Cubs, who have cut down their team strikeout rate by nearly five percentage points. Bryant's strikeouts are down, Addison Russell's strikeouts are down, Jorge Soler's strikeouts are down, and adding Heyward and Zobrist can only help.

That's a huge improvement, I hope it holds up as they face better pitching. Russell especially seems to have made major improvements in that department.

That's huge. They don't need to lead the league in contact rate, but it really, really helps if they're not in the bottom 10.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 25, 2016, 11:03:09 AM

That's huge. They don't need to lead the league in contact rate, but it really, really helps if they're not in the bottom 10.

But what about what Joe Sheehan said. A bunch of teams who are not the 2016 Cubs had trouble repeating big seasons after large win improvement.

HOW CAN THAT BE

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2016, 11:15:08 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 25, 2016, 11:03:09 AM

Yeah, Bryant is currently below 20% K rate, I'd be more than fine with him splitting the difference between that and last year and simply K 25% of the time. That extra 5% of contact could be huge for him. I kind of expected Russell to make a big improvement because he wasn't really a high K guy in the minors and just to my untrained eye it seemed like he was mostly just missing last year rather than swinging at junk. I figured his Ks would go down as he timed big league pitches better.

I mean it's the little things that add up. Last year with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs they hit .237/.334/.398 and scored a run in only 51% of their PAs in that situation. This year .432/.472/.649 and they've driven in a run 80% of the time.

I'm fine with trading strikeouts for power and walks most of the time, but if they can just be better with situational hitting when they have opportunities like that it'll come up big in tight games and the postseason, hopefully.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »
Montero to the DL, some asswipe who isn't Contreras up.

I mean I get not wanting to interrupt your top prospect's development so he can sit the bench for two weeks in the majors, but I also want shiny new toys.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 28, 2016, 12:29:01 PM

I mean I get not wanting to interrupt your top prospect's development so he can sit the bench for two weeks in the majors, but I also want shiny new toys.

I guess it makes it easier to send [replacement catcher] back down once Montero returns instead of outrighting Ross if the [replacement catcher] is Tim Federowicz and not a Quality AB Machine.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 28, 2016, 12:29:01 PM

Will this faceless non-prospect replacement catcher also test positive for PEDs after the season? I'm voting: yes.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2016, 07:34:34 PM »
Probably doesn't deserve his own thread yet, but Matt Szczur deserves some love for turning himself from basically a non-prospect into a useful 4th-5th outfielder. Sounds like he's worked hard to revamp his swing and add power, plus develop a bit of plate discipline. Who knows how long it'll last, but good for him.