News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 Bears/NFL Thread?  ( 5,043 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
2016 Bears/NFL Thread?
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »
Might as well have a thread for old time's sake, I guess?

The Lions have brilliantly decided to start playing mind games with their draft prospects to "see how they respond."

By most accounts the Bears had a very good draft.  Maybe I'll catch one game this season after all.  Time will tell, don't hold me to it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 Bears/NFL Thread?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
/thread
/season
/can't wait to see how they fuck up the #3 pick
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:13:26 PM »
I love how no one replied to this thread all season. Almost as if we knew ahead of time they weren't worth watching.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 01, 2017, 03:13:26 PM
I love how no one replied to this thread all season. Almost as if we knew ahead of time they weren't worth watching.

This was the first year since 1991 that I hadn't attended at least 1 Bears game at Soldier Field--1991 being the only other year I didn't attend since I started going in 1979. I should add that I was a sophomore in college in 1991 and just didn't have the ability to make it in to the city for a game, weekends tending to be pretty busy times in college.  This year I had no interest and made no effort.

In Week 3 this year, when the Bears played Sunday night against Dallas, I chose to watch a relatively-meaningless Cubs/Cardinals game (at least it was meaningful for the Cardinals and it was fun to watch an incentiveless Cubs team hammer another nail into their coffin).  Twice I flipped over to the Bears game and both times it was at commercial break, meaning that for the first time in my life, when I was at home and otherwise completely able to follow the entire game, that I neither saw nor heard a single play.

3 1/2 weeks later, the Bears were playing Green Bay while the Cubs and Dodgers were playing in Game 5. Even though the Bears were already proven to be bad by then and the Cubs were approaching a historic precipice, one would understand if I flipped over a few times between innings if for no other reason than to exhale during the Cubs game. But this time I didn't even attempt to flip over once, which I feel says more about my lack of interest in the Bears than how engrossed I was with the Cubs game.  The point is, that for the second time this season--and ever-- while having unfettered access to the Bears game I essentially chose not to watch a single play.

Needless to say I'm fairly confident that this was the least Bears football I've ever watched--or listened to--in a season.

This franchise has won 2 NFL championships since 1947.  That's now 70 full seasons.  Perennial laughingstock franchises in Cleveland and Detroit have both won more NFL titles in that time.  Now that the Cubs have flung the monkey off their back, it'd be nice if the Bears stopped flying under the radar.  This franchise now has been bad for a far greater period of time than they've been good.  Their 28 year head-start from 1920 until 1947 as the premier brand in the NFL is so far in the rearview mirror it might as well have never existed.

70 years, 2 championships.  When're people going to start giving this franchise shit like they did the Cubs for all those years--or, at the very least, stop giving them a pass?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:12:00 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on January 01, 2017, 09:08:45 PM
70 years, 2 championships.  When're people going to start giving this franchise shit like they did the Cubs for all those years--or, at the very least, stop giving them a pass?

"The Bears announced attendance at 39,837, leaving 21,663 vacant seats. Judging by the eye test, that number seemed low."

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
All together, I think I've watched less than a quarter of the Bears in the last two years. Part of that is just me developing a general distaste for the NFL, but I'm sure it doesn't help that my favorite team is completely irrelevant. It's hard to see myself really getting back into football again.

I'm fine with that.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
I'm officially declaring victory on the Cutler Era.

Obviously there were multiple other factors, but he was the captain of the ship when everyone decided they didn't care about football anymore, and that's more than I ever imagined could be ascribed to him.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 02, 2017, 11:22:10 AM
I'm officially declaring victory on the Cutler Era.

Obviously there were multiple other factors, but he was the captain of the ship when everyone decided they didn't care about football anymore, and that's more than I ever imagined could be ascribed to him.

He probably should've raped a few women.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:50:10 AM »
I know that nobody cares anymore, but Mike Glennon is pretty bad and this isn't going to go well.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 09, 2017, 10:50:10 AM
I know that nobody cares anymore, but Mike Glennon is pretty bad and this isn't going to go well.

If we're fortunate, the team really sucks this year, an inevitable housecleaning from Phillips on down is evident around Halloween, around which time Virginia passes peacefully. Her ten children at different stages in life, different goals, different interests, and different liquidity statuses might be willing to listen to an ego-driven billionaire who could make a lot of their problems go away and truly allow the Bears to rebuild correctly.

(On the downside, the first phone call I'd expect a smart owner to make upon buying the Bears would be to 773-404-2827, pressing # for the dial by name directory, and then the numbers 3-7-7-8-3-4-6. It's not without precedent.)

Realistically, the defense should be a shade better, and the team will go 5-11 with some marked improvement on the defensive side of the ball, possibly 7-9 if the running game does anything. Fox is probably gone, but Pace probably survives, and Ted Phillips and the rest of the real brass stay.

The Bears regime from 1986 until today (31 years and counting) in which the McCaskeys clearly have run the show has to be the worst-run period of any franchise in Chicago history, and that includes P.K. Wrigley's Cubs and Bill Wirtz's Blackhawks.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 09, 2017, 12:03:46 PM

If we're fortunate, the team really sucks this year, an inevitable housecleaning from Phillips on down is evident around Halloween, around which time Virginia passes peacefully. Her ten children at different stages in life, different goals, different interests, and different liquidity statuses might be willing to listen to an ego-driven billionaire who could make a lot of their problems go away and truly allow the Bears to rebuild correctly.

(On the downside, the first phone call I'd expect a smart owner to make upon buying the Bears would be to 773-404-2827, pressing # for the dial by name directory, and then the numbers 3-7-7-8-3-4-6. It's not without precedent.)

Realistically, the defense should be a shade better, and the team will go 5-11 with some marked improvement on the defensive side of the ball, possibly 7-9 if the running game does anything. Fox is probably gone, but Pace probably survives, and Ted Phillips and the rest of the real brass stay.

The Bears regime from 1986 until today (31 years and counting) in which the McCaskeys clearly have run the show has to be the worst-run period of any franchise in Chicago history, and that includes P.K. Wrigley's Cubs and Bill Wirtz's Blackhawks.

Pretty much the only hope is that they still draft DeShaun Watson even with the Glennon signing and he fairly-miraculously turns out to be awesome.

But that won't happen.

They'll get a stud defender instead and he'll probably be good but they'll be bad.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
$19 Million guaranteed? That's probably 2 years.

I'm on the side of the argument that says "Mike Glennon probably sucks, and will likely suck. Jay Cutler has been meh, and will be meh. However, there's a chance (probably between .0001% to 5%) that Mike Glennon will be better than Cutler has been. Why not take the chance on the unknown, when your known is something you're tired of?"

It's not like this prohibits them from signing other good players. They have a shit-ton of cap space. This doesn't prohibit them from drafting a QB, which most people say the guys in this draft aren't ready to start day 1. The Bears are done with Cutler. I think management/staff are just done with him. And what better options were available? Overpay with draft picks the Bears sorely need for Garappolo? It's almost as if the Bears were burned by such a thing in the past. Sign Romo? Well, that also requires Tony to want to come to the Bears. Brian Hoyer? There's an even less chance he'll be better than Cutler.

This move is completely unexciting, but to overreact and be angry about it? No, thanks.

If they don't draft a QB, I'll join you with the pitchforks.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:10:26 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 09, 2017, 01:02:42 PM
$19 Million guaranteed? That's probably 2 years.

I'm on the side of the argument that says "Mike Glennon probably sucks, and will likely suck. Jay Cutler has been meh, and will be meh. However, there's a chance (probably between .0001% to 5%) that Mike Glennon will be better than Cutler has been. Why not take the chance on the unknown, when your known is something you're tired of?"

It's not like this prohibits them from signing other good players. They have a shit-ton of cap space. This doesn't prohibit them from drafting a QB, which most people say the guys in this draft aren't ready to start day 1. The Bears are done with Cutler. I think management/staff are just done with him. And what better options were available? Overpay with draft picks the Bears sorely need for Garappolo? It's almost as if the Bears were burned by such a thing in the past. Sign Romo? Well, that also requires Tony to want to come to the Bears. Brian Hoyer? There's an even less chance he'll be better than Cutler.

This move is completely unexciting, but to overreact and be angry about it? No, thanks.

TL;DR: they suck and are going to suck and you should stop caring.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 09, 2017, 12:03:46 PM

the NFL will fold.

Who cares'd.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 09, 2017, 01:02:42 PM

Yep. They need a guy to play quarterback next year. Cutler wasn't going to be that guy. Glennon is a guy. It might as well be Glennon.

But they better draft a QB in the first three rounds. If they don't it's time to burn Halas Hall to the ground.