News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 364,329 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1080 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 05, 2014, 01:08:05 PM
I'm assuming you purposely picked the guy they're most likely to take so that you can have ammo for future butthurt about the pace of the rebuild. 

Oh good grief.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1081 on: June 05, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
Here's a statsy breakdown on some of the available options for the Cubs at 4, makes a good case for Schwarber.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1082 on: June 05, 2014, 03:53:17 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 05, 2014, 01:41:30 PM
Here's a statsy breakdown on some of the available options for the Cubs at 4, makes a good case for Schwarber.

Interesting. I'm fine with any of those guys. I like Pentecost, but mostly because he's a catcher and they sort of need one. Conforto still seems to be the most likely option, based on Callis and Law's final mocks (those two guys historically have been well-connected to sources).

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1083 on: June 05, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 05, 2014, 03:53:17 PM

Interesting. I'm fine with any of those guys. I like Pentecost, but mostly because he's a catcher and they sort of need one. Conforto still seems to be the most likely option, based on Callis and Law's final mocks (those two guys historically have been well-connected to sources).

Intrepid Reader--Beefcastle:  Que?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1084 on: June 05, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 05, 2014, 04:21:51 PM

There's a 51% chance that Welington Castillo sucks. 

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1085 on: June 05, 2014, 04:30:38 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 05, 2014, 04:27:12 PM

There isn't a lot in the minors at the position either. Maybe Will Remillard is something, but they could definitely use more.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1086 on: June 05, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 05, 2014, 04:30:38 PM

There isn't a lot in the minors at the position either. Maybe Will Remillard is something, but they could definitely use more.

Yeah... A straight statistical comparison doesn't really account for the positional value a catcher brings over a first baseman.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1087 on: June 05, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1088 on: June 05, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »
Is he Dan Vogelbach's twin or something?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1089 on: June 05, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Congrats to SKO on being the Cubs first pick this year.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1091 on: June 05, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »

I thought I heard that the Cubs had more prospects than positions.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1092 on: June 05, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
I loved everything I saw about Brady "My Guy" Aiken's profile and I'm jealous Houston got him, unlike last year when I was glad they took Appel so Bryant could fall to the Cubs.  The Kershaw comps might not be that far off.

Anyway, Peter Gammons thinks the Cubs got "by far" the best player in the entire draft last year in Bryant, and now they're getting "the best bat" in this year's draft with Kyle Schwarber.  He also claimed the Cubs had Schwarber down as the best hitter in the 2014 class.  The whole MLB Network experts' panel seemed to really like the pick.  (MLB-owned mouthpiece caveats apply.)

What say you, boys?  Will he trade off MVP awards with Baez and Bryant or will he just end up in third place every year?

In the second round they took Jake Stinnett, the first college senior taken this year and a right-handed pitcher from Maryland, which apparently doesn't allow video cameras in their stadium.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1093 on: June 06, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 05, 2014, 11:21:38 PM
I loved everything I saw about Brady "My Guy" Aiken's profile and I'm jealous Houston got him, unlike last year when I was glad they took Appel so Bryant could fall to the Cubs.  The Kershaw comps might not be that far off.

Anyway, Peter Gammons thinks the Cubs got "by far" the best player in the entire draft last year in Bryant, and now they're getting "the best bat" in this year's draft with Kyle Schwarber.  He also claimed the Cubs had Schwarber down as the best hitter in the 2014 class.  The whole MLB Network experts' panel seemed to really like the pick.  (MLB-owned mouthpiece caveats apply.)

What say you, boys?  Will he trade off MVP awards with Baez and Bryant or will he just end up in third place every year?

In the second round they took Jake Stinnett, the first college senior taken this year and a right-handed pitcher from Maryland, which apparently doesn't allow video cameras in their stadium.

Neither pick seems to be all that exciting, mostly because it's hard to get pumped about obvious underslot picks until you see who they get with the savings. It seems pointless to get too worked up in either direction about a draft pick unless your team is getting Bryce Harper. Or Hayden Simpson, on the other side of things.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1094 on: June 06, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on June 05, 2014, 08:53:36 PM

I thought I heard that the Cubs had more prospects than positions.

Quote from: me

I'm simply stating there are more than one prospect per position in the system, everywhere but catcher. Which is where a good team wants to be, and the Cubs never are.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16