News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2013 Epstink's Chicago Cubstinks  ( 36,668 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2013 Epstink's Chicago Cubstinks
« Reply #270 on: September 11, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 10, 2013, 09:04:24 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 09, 2013, 09:45:03 PM
Quote from: CBStew on September 09, 2013, 09:05:57 PM
Two significant events tonight.  !.  Cubs tied their win total for 1961 (ho hum) 2.  They beat Bronson Arroyo (!)

#> Daytona Cubs win the Florida State League championship on 5 innings of 1-hit pitching from C.J. Edwards plus 4 innings of no-hit pitching from something called Ryan Searle.

Ryan Searle is Australian. I don't think the Cubs have ever had one of those.

I don't remember any of these guys playing for the Cubs.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: September 11, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 11, 2013, 12:31:10 PM
Two significant events tonight.  !.  Cubs tied their win total for 1961 (ho hum) 2.  They beat Bronson Arroyo (!)

#> Daytona Cubs win the Florida State League championship on 5 innings of 1-hit pitching from C.J. Edwards plus 4 innings of no-hit pitching from something called Ryan Searle.

Once Searle makes the big club, Tonk needs to go jersey shopping.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 11, 2013, 12:31:10 PM

Elaine: "Would you like something to read?
Passenger: "Do you have anything light?"
Elaine: "How about this leaflet, List of Major League Baseball players from Australia?"
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »
I read earlier this week, I think that it was in the TRIB, that Epstein/Hoyer hadn't made any decisions about Sveum for the third year of his contract.  They weren't holding the loss totals of the last two years against Sveum, and that they recognized that they were responsible for those.  That being the case, is it conceivable that they would fire themselves?  Or at least give back some of their salaries?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 19, 2013, 12:16:33 PM
I read earlier this week, I think that it was in the TRIB, that Epstein/Hoyer hadn't made any decisions about Sveum for the third year of his contract.  They weren't holding the loss totals of the last two years against Sveum, and that they recognized that they were responsible for those.  That being the case, is it conceivable that they would fire themselves?  Or at least give back some of their salaries?

They pretty much told people to expect the team to lose, so ... no?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »

why

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 19, 2013, 12:21:29 PM

For the first time in any of our lives, the Cubs actually seem to have a long term plan that they have every intention of sticking to, and are making material progress towards attaining goals. Now would be a perfect time to throw in the towel.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: September 19, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 19, 2013, 01:57:50 PM
I read earlier this week, I think that it was in the TRIB, that Epstein/Hoyer hadn't made any decisions about Sveum for the third year of his contract.  They weren't holding the loss totals of the last two years against Sveum, and that they recognized that they were responsible for those.  That being the case, is it conceivable that they would fire themselves?  Or at least give back some of their salaries?

For the first time in any of our lives, the Cubs actually seem to have a long term plan that they have every intention of sticking to, and are making material progress towards attaining goals. Now would be a perfect time to throw in the towel.

And, if there's anyone around here who should be totally cool with waiting on a "long term plan" to play out, it's the guy born in the 1930s.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: September 19, 2013, 02:09:02 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 19, 2013, 02:07:09 PM
I read earlier this week, I think that it was in the TRIB, that Epstein/Hoyer hadn't made any decisions about Sveum for the third year of his contract.  They weren't holding the loss totals of the last two years against Sveum, and that they recognized that they were responsible for those.  That being the case, is it conceivable that they would fire themselves?  Or at least give back some of their salaries?

And, if there's anyone around here who should be totally cool with waiting on a "long term plan" to play out, it's the guy born in the 1930s.

yep.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: September 19, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 19, 2013, 02:09:02 PM

yep.
To be fair, you probably should have given up on this team before any of us were born.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 19, 2013, 02:16:09 PM

yep.
To be fair, you probably should have given up on this team before any of us were born.
It was stubbornness.  The family moved to San Francisco ten years before the Giants came to town.  It was natural that I would continue to follow the Cubs since there was no major league baseball west of St. Louis, (you should forgive the expression).  The Cubs were in the World Series four years before I left town.  Who knew what the future held?  When the Giants arrived I was in too deep to switch allegiance.  Anyway, being a fan is not something I can turn off, although the Ricketts are insisting that I do so.  In the summer of 1984 I threw a party for transplanted Chicagoans living in Berkeley.  There were dozens of them.  We served deep dish pizza (from Zachary's, look it up), Chicago hot dogs and Old Style beer.  The TVs were showing a Cub game.  During the party every single one of my guests confessed that they no longer cared about the Cubs. Even in 1984?   My own brother told me that he couldn't tell me the name of a single Cub player.   I was dumbfounded.   My wife, a California girl, was and is a trouper.  She went to Chicago with me to go to the league championship games in 1984 and even attended the playoffs in San Francisco in 1989, when we played hookey from afternoon Yom Kippur services.  Even in this rotten year she attended all of the Cubs games in Oakland and San Francisco with me.  If that isn't true love, what is?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 19, 2013, 04:28:38 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 19, 2013, 02:16:09 PM

yep.
It was stubbornness.  The family moved to San Francisco ten years before the Giants came to town.  It was natural that I would continue to follow the Cubs since there was no major league baseball west of St. Louis, (you should forgive the expression).  The Cubs were in the World Series four years before I left town.  Who knew what the future held?  When the Giants arrived I was in too deep to switch allegiance.  Anyway, being a fan is not something I can turn off, although the Ricketts are insisting that I do so.  In the summer of 1984 I threw a party for transplanted Chicagoans living in Berkeley.  There were dozens of them.  We served deep dish pizza (from Zachary's, look it up), Chicago hot dogs and Old Style beer.  The TVs were showing a Cub game.  During the party every single one of my guests confessed that they no longer cared about the Cubs. Even in 1984?   My own brother told me that he couldn't tell me the name of a single Cub player.   I was dumbfounded.   My wife, a California girl, was and is a trouper.  She went to Chicago with me to go to the league championship games in 1984 and even attended the playoffs in San Francisco in 1989, when we played hookey from afternoon Yom Kippur services.  Even in this rotten year she attended all of the Cubs games in Oakland and San Francisco with me.  If that isn't true love, what is?

All of that is fascinating. I doubt if anyone will care to hear my own story when 900 years old I reach. I can tell them how I moved from Buttpuddle to the very doorsteps of Wrigley Field and then stopped watching games for three years while they renovated the stadium and the roster. I'll tell them about the little old man from Berkeley who shook his fist at the baseball Gods for inventing Moneyball and making him sweat out the rebuild while the sands of time dwindled down.

This will all be worth it, you know. You'll see.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2013, 11:40:48 PM »
Two days in a row.  Two different visiting teams clinch the playoffs at Wrigley.  That has got to be a record. 

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2013, 01:22:42 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on September 23, 2013, 11:40:48 PM
Two days in a row.  Two different visiting teams clinch the playoffs at Wrigley.  That has got to be a record. 

Only thing that could make it better is both pitchers also winning their 300th games.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 24, 2013, 01:22:42 AM
Quote from: CBStew on September 23, 2013, 11:40:48 PM

Only thing that could make it better is both pitchers also winning their 300th games.

via No-Hitters