News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Post #1908  ( 53,687 )

James Westfall

• Sex Panther from Odeon
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Post #1908
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2007, 01:38:33 PM »
I believe BK has the honors for worst account closing post ever.  That will never be topped.

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
Quote from: James Westfall on March 01, 2007, 01:38:33 PM
I believe BK has the honors for worst account closing post ever.  That will never be topped.

Yeah.  Whatever happened to that guy?
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Apexx

• Apul is edad.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »
Quote from: James Westfall on March 01, 2007, 01:38:33 PM
Intrepid Reader: BC
Oh, just you wait.
The Thirteenth Tenet of Pexism: Internet Apex is the id barking at you and you deserve everything you get from it.

James Westfall

• Sex Panther from Odeon
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2007, 09:59:18 AM »
Well, here we are.  Again.  I was going to stop at 1989 (because I'm insolent) but I just can't seem to get past the 84 Cubs as my favorite team ever.  Why?  Well....

Bob Dernier.  He's my favorite Cub.  Ever.  I know, I know...  I like to keep the bar nice and low.  84 was his best full season.  He was a marvel to watch in CF and I swear, every single home run I saw him hit barely made it into the basket.  He was a joy to watch on the bases too.  It certainly didn't hurt that I played CF in those days and was also fast.  I do suspect, however, that I had more power.

Ryne Sandberg.  I don't think I have to go on about how good he was in 84.  You all know it already.  Let me just summarize by saying "teh ablls."

Steve Trout.  I'm not really sure why.  He had a pretty good season, but nothing spectacular.  But I always seemed to catch him pitching.  He was money in the postseason though.  And he was lefty.  I always wanted to be a lefty.  Maybe that's it.

Rick Sutcliffe.  Who didn't imitate his pitching motion?  If you lived in Chicago you did.  16-1 (20-6 overall) it was the best season I had ever seen.  In fact, it was the best season a cub pitcher tossed until Prior's 2003 (how Kevin Tapani went 19-9 is beyond my mere mortal comprehension).  He was the greatest Cub pitcher I saw until Z showed up.  Plus now he's golfing with Bill Murray and helping George Clooney solve that thing over there. 

Jody Davis.  Jody Davis was an average catcher with a girls name.  But he gave my little brother a bat he cracked in BP.  Nice gestures like that will get you a spot on my list.

Lee Smith.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why they let him go.  So help me if you try to make me remember I'll put a plague on both your houses!  Lee was the best closer in the game.  He was intimidating on a Dave Stewart level.  You don't see that much anymore.  Batters don't like to face certain closers, but they aren't afraid of them like hitters were with Lee Smith.  He would slowly saunter to the mound and make the batter sweat the at bat before the at bat even started.  It was grin inducing.

Harry Caray.  Who didn't love his calls?  He was the last voice of the fan.  You can't find a game called like he called them.  It was validating to know that I had some of the same opinions as someone who had bbeen in the game for a long, long time.  Now if you rip a team or player on the air, they boot you off the charter or threaten you in an elevator.  I miss him.  I miss him more than I curse him for marking Chip Caray possible.  Sometimes, your mic is best left in your pants.

And finally.....

Wrigley Field.  The best place to catch a game.  Fuck the stereotypes.  Cub fans, real Cub fans, can hold their ground versus any other group of fans.  They are just as knowledgeable and probably more passionate.  It's a time warp watching a game there.  You can almost picture it being 1908.  It's the same stadium my grandparents went to.  Screw the new stadiums and their sushi and concourses and malls.  this is where baseball should be played.  I saw my favorite game there (not in 1984 though.  It was at 8/8/88.  Yes my favorite attended game was 3.5 innings long).

So I'm calling it quits at 1984 again.  TW-Gone.  James Westfall-Gone.    3968 posts in the books.  Maybe I'll get to end my next career at 2007.  If not, there's always next year.

dying_diehard

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
One minor note - the Cubs didn't start playing in Wrigley until 1916.

That and you forgot the Penguin and the Sarge.  How do you forget a guy who never made a catch without diving.

Still though, I'm right there with you.  84 was my favorite.  Every player on that team was likeable.  Combine that with the fact that games didn't sell out unless they were good (or the Cards were in town) and you've got a very nice baseball situation.
Proudly closing in on 100 years of championship-free baseball.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »
Quote from: James Westfall on March 08, 2007, 09:59:18 AM
So I'm calling it quits at 1984 again.  TW-Gone.  James Westfall-Gone.    3968 posts in the books.  Maybe I'll get to end my next career at 2007.  If not, there's always next year.
Fine.  Can you just bring back the girl peeling off her the black t-shirt avatar?

Apexx

• Apul is edad.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »
Bump.

Nothing fancy, I just wanna get this over with.

Oh, and:

Bewbies.
The Thirteenth Tenet of Pexism: Internet Apex is the id barking at you and you deserve everything you get from it.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2007, 04:50:02 PM »
Quote from: Apexx on June 22, 2007, 04:46:14 PM
Bump.

Oh, and:

Bewbies.

Huh-huh HOOOLeee shit. That chick is hott! Who is she? Where can I go to see more of that jiggedy giggidy good goodness? Yummy!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »
Quote from: Apexxx on June 22, 2007, 04:50:02 PM

Huh-huh HOOOLeee shit. That chick is hott! Who is she? Where can I go to see more of that jiggedy giggidy good goodness? Yummy!

What's your problem, bub?  You make me sick.  If this is the kind of trash you're gonna be spoutin' off, then I'd prefer you to just shut the heck up.  You remind of a real dooshtongue of a jerkoff that used to post here.  His name was Paul.  You remind me so much of that guy that I'm gonna assume that YOU are in fact him.  And here it is.  Me assuming.  You are teh Paul.  Raise your game if you wanna be a part of the greatest, most sincere intranet community in this galaxy or ANY galaxy.  Even the ones that are far, far away.  I hope this scared you off, peckernose.
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

DPappy

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2007, 05:13:27 PM »
Quote from: Apexxx on June 22, 2007, 04:50:02 PM
Quote from: Apexx on June 22, 2007, 04:46:14 PM
Bump.

Oh, and:

Bewbies.

Huh-huh HOOOLeee shit. That chick is hott! Who is she? Where can I go to see more of that jiggedy giggidy good goodness? Yummy! I've had tons of girls like her.

Shut up, Paul, you're a douche'd.
It may be retarded but McCain's No 2 would still choose life for it. Because she's compassionate like that.  ~Apex

Down In Front

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
Mike D.  lasted 16 monhs.
Huey lasted 12 months.
DIF has lasted 7 months.

Christ, it looks like I've been wasting MORE time at this place, not less.

It's all good.  This is definitely the finest collection of douchebags that I have had the pleasure of wasting time with.  Thanks to this weird social network that Andy Dolan has inadvertently created, I have had the chance to meet quite a few of you to drink beer, eat Chunky Bars, play softball, and go to Cubs games--in fact, I am 4-0 at Wrigley when with a Desipio crowd, so we must be doing something right.  I'd say that what we have in common is that we're Cub fans but it's obviously more than that, as I'd rather pull my scrotum over my head than hang out with some of the creepy bastards at, say, BCB or NSBB.   It's the jaded sensibility, I think.  That, and the fact that we're not a bunch of insecure closet cases who live below sea level.

While the self-congratulatory nature of this post is positively Deadspinesque, it's my last one so I am indulging myself. 

5,724 posts.  Oh, how humiliating.
8/8/07:

Dawn of the NEW Positive

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Quote from: Down In Front on September 21, 2007, 10:19:19 PM

Keeping track of your posts. Now THAT'S humiliating.
RETIRED

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2007, 10:48:28 PM »
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on September 21, 2007, 10:41:00 PM

1,908 x 3 = 5,724
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2007, 11:53:25 PM »
Quote from: Kermit on September 21, 2007, 10:48:28 PM
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on September 21, 2007, 10:41:00 PM

1,908 x 3 = 5,724

Knowing how to multiply. Now THAT'S humiliating.
RETIRED

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:59 PM »
Damnit, I just had to do this.  To sum up:

Since "Kermit" came to be, I've met several more of you and liked you.  Good friends, good times, don't know how I'd pass the day (or the season) without this place, thanks for hosting us, Andy, etc.

Here's to 3816 posts (and change) down, and 1908 more to go.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07