News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 101,705 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #375 on: July 23, 2010, 08:48:11 AM »
My guess actually is that Mark Anderson will be the starting DE opposite of Peppers and that Israel Idonijie will continue to swing between both defensive tackle and defensive end. He's not overmatched at DT and he provides a pass rush at both spots. I'm betting he'll get nearly as many reps as the starters without actually being one. Also, Ogunleye/Brown =/= Peppers/Anderson (or Idonijie). I'm done playing the "if Tommie Harris is like 2006.." game, but he's still a solid defensive tackle and I think he'll be healthier than he has been, and with Peppers drawing the double teams that Tommie used to draw, he should Look like the Harris of old.

Urlacher isn't the guy he was either, but he's a solid tackler that can read an offense and make the right calls, something they didn't have last year. Pisa is actually the guy I'm most excited about among the injured players that are returning. He's still relatively young and has been pretty solid when healthy during his career. Frankly, with all due respect to Hillenmeyer and Roach (who I think provide good depth), they haven't had anyone all that great at the SAM position since the Holdman/Urlacher/Colvin trio terrorized the NFC Central. If Pisa plays well, Briggs keeps playing like a guy in the prime of his career should, and Urlacher gets everybody into position and doesn't miss tackles, this is a much better linebacker corps and should hopefully straighten out the problems they had against the run last year.

Chris Harris makes the secondary better, although I don't get why they're still hung up on playing Danieal Manning rather than Major Wright at safety. If there's one thing that everyone but the Bears seems to realize, it's that Manning is far, far better at the nickel. Wright has good instincts and always knows where the ball is. Danieal isn't so good at that. Tillman is fine, and Bowman really improved a lot down the stretch last year.

So... yeah, I don't get why people think the defense will be so much worse this year. I don't think they'll be the doom-bringers that they were in 2005-06, but a top ten ranking isn't out of reach. Anything in the top 15 should be enough to get them back to the playoffs, provided that they keep up the usual turnover rate of a Lovie Smith defense and the offensive line improves enough to allow the offense to help win games on that end. 
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: July 23, 2010, 08:50:19 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 22, 2010, 05:33:50 PM
I think he's underrated as dick.

Ghey.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: July 23, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
Cross-posted in "Fuck, it's silent in here" thread:

Glenn Beck an Urlacher fan, then?

Bizarre.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: July 23, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 23, 2010, 09:15:57 AM

Bizarre.

That pudgy fuck could do everyone a favor and swallow some bullets.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:57 AM »
Quote from: MAD on July 23, 2010, 09:27:20 AM
Quote from: Brownie on July 23, 2010, 09:15:57 AM

Bizarre.

That pudgy fuck could do everyone a favor and swallow some bullets.

Hey now, Urlacher's declined a bit, but that's no reason to wish death on him!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: July 23, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2010, 08:48:11 AM
My guess actually is that Mark Anderson will be the starting DE opposite of Peppers and that Israel Idonijie will continue to swing between both defensive tackle and defensive end. He's not overmatched at DT and he provides a pass rush at both spots. I'm betting he'll get nearly as many reps as the starters without actually being one. Also, Ogunleye/Brown =/= Peppers/Anderson (or Idonijie). I'm done playing the "if Tommie Harris is like 2006.." game, but he's still a solid defensive tackle and I think he'll be healthier than he has been, and with Peppers drawing the double teams that Tommie used to draw, he should Look like the Harris of old.

Urlacher isn't the guy he was either, but he's a solid tackler that can read an offense and make the right calls, something they didn't have last year. Pisa is actually the guy I'm most excited about among the injured players that are returning. He's still relatively young and has been pretty solid when healthy during his career. Frankly, with all due respect to Hillenmeyer and Roach (who I think provide good depth), they haven't had anyone all that great at the SAM position since the Holdman/Urlacher/Colvin trio terrorized the NFC Central. If Pisa plays well, Briggs keeps playing like a guy in the prime of his career should, and Urlacher gets everybody into position and doesn't miss tackles, this is a much better linebacker corps and should hopefully straighten out the problems they had against the run last year.

Chris Harris makes the secondary better, although I don't get why they're still hung up on playing Danieal Manning rather than Major Wright at safety. If there's one thing that everyone but the Bears seems to realize, it's that Manning is far, far better at the nickel. Wright has good instincts and always knows where the ball is. Danieal isn't so good at that. Tillman is fine, and Bowman really improved a lot down the stretch last year.

So... yeah, I don't get why people think the defense will be so much worse this year. I don't think they'll be the doom-bringers that they were in 2005-06, but a top ten ranking isn't out of reach. Anything in the top 15 should be enough to get them back to the playoffs, provided that they keep up the usual turnover rate of a Lovie Smith defense and the offensive line improves enough to allow the offense to help win games on that end. 

Mark Anderson sucks. If he gets the majority of the snaps at DE, I might as well sell Night Man and Day Man my REO Speedwagon tickets. Cuz we'll be boned.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: July 24, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 23, 2010, 08:30:03 PM

Mark Anderson sucks. If he gets the majority of the snaps at DE, I might as well sell Night Man and Day Man my REO Speedwagon tickets. Cuz we'll be boned.

This Anderson thing scares me. Didn't they already try this? And this time Alex Brown won't be on the sidelines to save their ass.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: July 25, 2010, 09:19:01 AM »
Quote from: Tony on July 24, 2010, 09:23:20 AM

This Anderson thing scares me. Didn't they already try this? And this time Alex Brown won't be on the sidelines to save their ass.

Yes, but that fails to call into account:

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: July 25, 2010, 10:38:39 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 25, 2010, 09:19:01 AM
Quote from: Tony on July 24, 2010, 09:23:20 AM

Yes, but that fails to call into account:

No, you fail to take in to account...

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: July 25, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Holy shit, did I lol.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: July 26, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »
I'm betting they'll give Anderson another chance to be the guy, but what'll most likely happen will be Idonijie at end in most situations, with Anderson taking over and Idonijie sliding inside on passing downs. I think a pure pass rush of Anderson, Idonijie, Harris, and Peppers will be terrifying, but they'll have to improve against the run on 1st and 2nd down to actually ensure that opposing offenses are actually forced into passing situations with regularity.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 26, 2010, 08:39:32 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 25, 2010, 11:53:32 AM
Holy shit, did I lol.

THI

It seamed that I would bust my gut, I loled so much.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2010, 08:45:29 AM
I'm betting they'll give Anderson another chance to be the guy, but what'll most likely happen will be Idonijie at end in most situations, with Anderson taking over and Idonijie sliding inside on passing downs. I think a pure pass rush of Anderson, Idonijie, Harris, and Peppers will be terrifying, but they'll have to improve against the run on 1st and 2nd down to actually ensure that opposing offenses are actually forced into passing situations with regularity.

THI. Why didn't you say that in the first place? I guess you sort of did but I needed some more info to get your point.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:16 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2010, 08:45:29 AM

DPD. Thanks, Fork.