News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 57,852 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Andy on July 22, 2010, 11:59:27 AM
Quote from: Fork on July 22, 2010, 10:17:33 AM
A team sending an HOFer to A ball to manage is hardly standard practice.

The Phillies did it to Mike Schmidt in hopes he'd say "fuck it" and quit and he did.  The Cubs?  Oh they're never that lucky.

Bea Arthur wrote that Ed Lynch gave Billy Williams the same offer. Billy said no way, and here he is.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

The Phillies did it to Mike Schmidt in hopes he'd say "fuck it" and quit and he did.  The Cubs?  Oh they're never that lucky.

I should have rephrased to "a HOFer taking an A Ball managing assignment"...
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on July 22, 2010, 09:20:17 AM
I'd be OK with this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5398820

QuoteFormer Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez will be one of the candidates interviewed for the Chicago Cubs  managerial job, according to a major league source.

Gonzalez, who was fired by the Marlins on June 24, has a long personal and professional relationship with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry stemming from the time they worked together with the Marlins.

I'm more than OK with Gonzalez, not OK with Hendry.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

If the Cubs wanted to hire a manager who had a great career at Wrigley, then Schmidt is their man.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on July 22, 2010, 12:02:01 PM

I should have rephrased to "a HOFer taking an A Ball managing assignment"...

Schmidt did take it, and after a year he decided he'd rather be golfing.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

"Think of all the wine and roids I could buy with a big market team...."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
QuoteCHICAGO -- Bobby Valentine said Sunday he's interested in taking over the Cubs after Lou Piniella retires at the end of this season.

Oh God no.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Bobby V spent three-and-a-half hours tonight interviewing for the job on ESPN. I don't think I've ever heard a national p-b-p guy spend an entire game analyzing only one team.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 25, 2010, 11:07:52 PM
Bobby V spent three-and-a-half hours tonight interviewing for the job on ESPN. I don't think I've ever heard a national p-b-p guy spend an entire game analyzing only one team.

Is he normally in the booth for ESPN's Sunday night games?  I always thought it was Jon Miller and that other retard Joe Morgan on Sunday nights.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 26, 2010, 07:35:17 AM

Is he normally in the booth for ESPN's Sunday night games?  I always thought it was Jon Miller and that other retard Joe Morgan on Sunday nights.

Jon Miller was in Cooperstown to be inducted into the Hall of Fame yesterday.  Joe Morgan was in Cooperstown building a physical barricade to keep other 2nd basemen from invading his turf.  So, we actually got decent announcing yesterday for the game, although I believe that Bobby V's Cubs:Cardinals comment rate of approximately 1.33 was much higher than Morgan's 0.7, or the ostensible average of 1.0.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: morpheus on July 26, 2010, 08:51:47 AM

Jon Miller was in Cooperstown to be inducted into the Hall of Fame yesterday.  Joe Morgan was in Cooperstown building a physical barricade to keep other 2nd basemen from invading his turf.  So, we actually got decent announcing yesterday for the game, although I believe that Bobby V's Cubs:Cardinals comment rate of approximately 1.33 was much higher than Morgan's 0.7, or the ostensible average of 1.0.

Fuck Jon Miller with a giant statue of Barry Bonds in every hole in his fat, patethic whale corpse of a body. He makes Joe Buck look like Jack Buck. Fuck him till he's dead.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 26, 2010, 09:00:33 AM

Fuck Jon Miller with a giant statue of Barry Bonds in every hole in his fat, patethic whale corpse of a body. He makes Joe Buck look like Jack Buck. Fuck him till he's dead.

I'll push.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club

He did spend a significant amount of time discussing Jon Jay's swing as well.

Say what you will about Valentine (I'm neutral on him as a managerial candidate for the Cubs)...I think he's an interesting guy to listen to.  He has an opinion, it's not the same recycled shit that most other color guys provide.  I thought that broadcast last night was better than the last two Sunday nights with Miller and Morgan out of the way.

Then again, I like Joe Buck.  So I'm prepared to again sit by myself in the corner, drinking non-alcoholic beer, getting turned down by hairy tanged fat broads.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club

Jon Miller was in Cooperstown to be inducted into the Hall of Fame yesterday.  Joe Morgan was in Cooperstown giving the GREATEST INTRODUCTION IN BASEBALL HISTORYbuilding a physical barricade to keep other 2nd basemen from invading his turf.  So, we actually got decent announcing yesterday for the game, although I believe that Bobby V's Cubs:Cardinals comment rate of approximately 1.33 was much higher than Morgan's 0.7, or the ostensible average of 1.0.

Joe Morgan'ed

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on July 26, 2010, 10:34:19 AM

He did spend a significant amount of time discussing Jon Jay's swing as well.

Say what you will about Valentine (I'm neutral on him as a managerial candidate for the Cubs)...I think he's an interesting guy to listen to.  He has an opinion, it's not the same recycled shit that most other color guys provide.  I thought that broadcast last night was better than the last two Sunday nights with Miller and Morgan out of the way.

Then again, I like Joe Buck.  So I'm prepared to again sit by myself in the corner, drinking non-alcoholic beer, getting turned down by hairy tanged fat broads.

I thought that was a great crew last night as well. I didn't even notice that Miller wasn't there.

I was impressed with Valentine as a pbp color guy. First time I've heard him. I know he talked about the Cards but it just seemed like he spent way too much time critiquing the Cub players. More than you would expect from a national guy who only sees a team once or twice a year.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."