News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Community  ( 82,021 )

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Community
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 22, 2010, 04:58:15 PM
What...nothing?

One post? From Weebs?

I don't get this thread inactivity at all.

Or has nobody simply seen this episode? Granted, I typically catch it the day it airs myself but I happened to watch this one a day later.

/MAD-RV

So, aside from all the other hilarity in this episode (e.g., "am I black boobs?"), I actually managed to laugh out loud at two separate Chang lines: "I will find a loophole" and "Britta! Britta! Your lipstick looks better."

I never really had a problem with Chang.   The fart thing last week was funny.  I believe it's on record that I enjoy fart jokes, though. 

I didn't like the ending.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »
Quote from: JD on May 22, 2010, 05:04:53 PM

I did. Annie's hot.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
What...nothing?

One post? From Weebs?

Or has nobody simply seen this episode? Granted, I typically catch it the day it airs myself but I happened to watch this one a day later.

/MAD-RV

So, aside from all the other hilarity in this episode (e.g., "am I black boobs?"), I actually managed to laugh out loud at two separate Chang lines: "I will find a loophole" and "Britta! Britta! Your lipstick looks better."

I never really had a problem with Chang.   The fart thing last week was funny.  I believe it's on record that I enjoy fart jokes, though. 

I also didn't like it. The love triangle plus one felt forced. I'm sure it was intentional. Still a great show.

It's no Parks.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 22, 2010, 06:23:40 PM
What...nothing?

One post? From Weebs?

/MAD-RV

I also didn't like it. The love triangle plus one felt forced. I'm sure it was intentional. Still a great show.

It's no Parks.

Yeah, it's way too original to be Parks.

I think troy is my MVP for season 1. Used properly, he brings the constant funny. The happy days line was my favorite of the show.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2010, 09:11:19 PM »

The show is more than outstanding, especially when it comes to playing with cliches.

"Study's over".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »
I thought it was awesome that they managed to bring back pretty much every supporting character that was in this season, including the Daily Show Brit. And I agree that Troy consistently brought the most laughs. His breakdown to Pierce about making him look like the Cookie Crunch wizard, despite not even getting the reference, was one of the highlights of the show.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on May 22, 2010, 07:50:27 PM

Is it really that original though?  The characters certainly aren't original.  It has a cool male leader/nerd girl/black woman/minority jock/weird guy/old guy cast.  When does the Saved By the Bell parody episode come out?  Think of the possibilities.  Jeff calling time out; Annie singing about how she's so excited; Shirley writing a gossip column in the school newspaper with juicy tidbits about the study group.  There, I just wrote a Community episode outline in 20 seconds while hungover.

And it's not like no one else has ever done the constant pop culture reference thing. I found it ironic that Jeff Winger yelled at the Glee kids "Write some original songs!" when the very show he is on bases all of its own material on things that have already been done in other shows and movies.  Then again, maybe Dan Harmon was making another amazing quadruple-meta joke that flew over my head.*

* And yeah, I'm mostly just pissed that Parks was bumped in the fall, so I've decided to irrationally hate Community now even though I actually like the show.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 23, 2010, 08:32:17 AM

Is it really that original though?  The characters certainly aren't original.  It has a cool male leader/nerd girl/black woman/minority jock/weird guy/old guy cast.  When does the Saved By the Bell parody episode come out?  Think of the possibilities.  Jeff calling time out; Annie singing about how she's so excited; Shirley writing a gossip column in the school newspaper with juicy tidbits about the study group.  There, I just wrote a Community episode outline in 20 seconds while hungover.

And it's not like no one else has ever done the constant pop culture reference thing. I found it ironic that Jeff Winger yelled at the Glee kids "Write some original songs!" when the very show he is on bases all of its own material on things that have already been done in other shows and movies.  Then again, maybe Dan Harmon was making another amazing quadruple-meta joke that flew over my head.*

* And yeah, I'm mostly just pissed that Parks was bumped in the fall, so I've decided to irrationally hate Community now even though I actually like the show.

ALL of its material? I don't think so. They base a lot of their plots on basic sitcom tropes, and there is a lot of reference humor, but there are also a lot of really, really funny jokes that are just funny jokes.

"What say you and I blow this pop stand and head off for a spot of slap and tickle? I mean sex, in case the lingo hasn't made it to the States."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: May 23, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »

Damn, I just saw the dig on Parks. Thanks for angrying up this thread for me. I feel almost exactly the same way as you.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:37 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 23, 2010, 07:04:52 PM

Damn, I just saw the dig on Parks. Thanks for angrying up this thread for me. I feel almost exactly the same way as you.

We get it, you guys love Glee. 

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
Ivy6 is right, and you're all just being grumpy assholes.  This show is original, and it's the shit.  Troy is definitely the best character.  I want to reiterate how funny it was when he stole the chalk during the Good Will Hunting episode.

/takes ball
//goes home

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2010, 11:50:06 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on May 24, 2010, 09:45:37 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 23, 2010, 07:04:52 PM

We get it, you guys love Glee. 

Glee is streets ahead of your meta bullshit.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
I hardly ever laugh at a PearceJoke, but the one where he said he would have Troy fitted for a tux or whatever was kinda good.  Chang even managed to make me chuckle a few times.  I don't get the ending, but I don't care.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 24, 2010, 11:58:45 AM
I hardly ever laugh at a PearceJoke, but the one where he said he would have Troy fitted for a tux or whatever was kinda good.  Chang even managed to make me chuckle a few times.  I don't get the ending, but I don't care.

I can't help that you're streets behind.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
Two months ago I would have said Parks and Rec is hands down the better show, but Community closed the season really, really strong. I think they're neck and neck at this point.

And I think I'm with Ivy6 and Kerm on its originality.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?