News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread  ( 55,840 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:21 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2011, 09:58:23 AM
Quote from: R-V on June 22, 2011, 09:36:30 AM
Biggsy with an update on the tentative CBA. Whither Danieal Manning? Any chance that Malcom Floyd or Davin Joseph are SKO's new free agency mancrushes? And was I the only person who wasn't aware that Maynard is apparently done as a Bear?

QuoteIncluded in the report is the assertion that the rules for free agency will revert back to how they were in 2009 and before, meaning all players out of contract with four or more years of service will be unrestricted.

While that has been expectee, clubs still tendered qualifying offers to potential restricted free agents under the system that was used in 2010, when players needed six years of service to be unrestricted.

How will it affect the Chicago Bears? For cornerback Corey Graham, safety Danieal Manning and linebacker Nick Roach, it means good news. Although the Bears tendered a qualifying RFA offer to all three, under these guidelines they will be unrestricted, allowing them to enter the open market.

It's bad news for the team as it reduces the chances all three will return. In fact, Graham is a good bet to leave as a UFA. Roach is probably the best bet of the three to return as the Bears need a starter on the strong side, where he made six starts last season.

Manning, who has five years of service, was one of the players caught up last year by the change in rules. It's the influx of players in situations similar to his that is going to make free agency a bonanza when it opens, probably sometime next month.

The class of free agents will be nearly double its usual size, creating a massive pool of players for teams that will have to fill out rosters and spend to meet a salary-cap floor. If free agency starts in mid-July with training camps scheduled to open on time, it will be a mad dash of activity.

QuoteSome big names will head to free agency. The unofficial list includes wide receivers Steve Breaston, Santonio Holmes, James Jones, Malcolm Floyd and Sidney Rice, running backs Ahmad Bradshaw and DeAngelo Williams, defensive ends Ray Edwards and Jacob Ford, tight ends Kevin Boss and Zach Miller, offensive linemen Willie Colon, Doug Free and Davin Joseph and cornerbacks Antonio Cromartie and Johnathan Joseph.

QuoteStrong hints indicate the Bears will pursue veteran punter Steve Weatherford in free agency. That's just one of the positions the team needs to address.

I thought they'd bring back Maynard and maybe have him battle a kid like that McGee guy they've had hanging around the last couple camps, but I knew they weren't satisfied with his performance last year which was his worst year in Chicago. His average keeps going down and he's 37. Weatherford's a good replacement.

My free agency man crush is Braylon Edwards paired with whichever guard Atlanta doesn't re-sign, but I'd settle for a guy like Floyd or Sidney Rice or whomever and then someone like Davin Joseph. Provided they come out of this free agency period with at least one starting guard and a wide receiver that isn't a muppet (but also isn't over 30, natch) I'll be happy.

A lot of this stuff could be found on my blog, if I had one.

You have a crush on Braylon Edwards? Good news - chances are he'd fancy you, too.

(He likes penis)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 22, 2011, 10:03:21 AM
Biggsy with an update on the tentative CBA. Whither Danieal Manning? Any chance that Malcom Floyd or Davin Joseph are SKO's new free agency mancrushes? And was I the only person who wasn't aware that Maynard is apparently done as a Bear?

QuoteIncluded in the report is the assertion that the rules for free agency will revert back to how they were in 2009 and before, meaning all players out of contract with four or more years of service will be unrestricted.

While that has been expectee, clubs still tendered qualifying offers to potential restricted free agents under the system that was used in 2010, when players needed six years of service to be unrestricted.

How will it affect the Chicago Bears? For cornerback Corey Graham, safety Danieal Manning and linebacker Nick Roach, it means good news. Although the Bears tendered a qualifying RFA offer to all three, under these guidelines they will be unrestricted, allowing them to enter the open market.

It's bad news for the team as it reduces the chances all three will return. In fact, Graham is a good bet to leave as a UFA. Roach is probably the best bet of the three to return as the Bears need a starter on the strong side, where he made six starts last season.

Manning, who has five years of service, was one of the players caught up last year by the change in rules. It's the influx of players in situations similar to his that is going to make free agency a bonanza when it opens, probably sometime next month.

The class of free agents will be nearly double its usual size, creating a massive pool of players for teams that will have to fill out rosters and spend to meet a salary-cap floor. If free agency starts in mid-July with training camps scheduled to open on time, it will be a mad dash of activity.

QuoteSome big names will head to free agency. The unofficial list includes wide receivers Steve Breaston, Santonio Holmes, James Jones, Malcolm Floyd and Sidney Rice, running backs Ahmad Bradshaw and DeAngelo Williams, defensive ends Ray Edwards and Jacob Ford, tight ends Kevin Boss and Zach Miller, offensive linemen Willie Colon, Doug Free and Davin Joseph and cornerbacks Antonio Cromartie and Johnathan Joseph.

QuoteStrong hints indicate the Bears will pursue veteran punter Steve Weatherford in free agency. That's just one of the positions the team needs to address.

I thought they'd bring back Maynard and maybe have him battle a kid like that McGee guy they've had hanging around the last couple camps, but I knew they weren't satisfied with his performance last year which was his worst year in Chicago. His average keeps going down and he's 37. Weatherford's a good replacement.

My free agency man crush is Braylon Edwards paired with whichever guard Atlanta doesn't re-sign, but I'd settle for a guy like Floyd or Sidney Rice or whomever and then someone like Davin Joseph. Provided they come out of this free agency period with at least one starting guard and a wide receiver that isn't a muppet (but also isn't over 30, natch) I'll be happy.

You have a crush on Braylon Edwards? Good news - chances are he'd fancy you, too.

(He likes penis)

Is that insider information from the other Slaky? Either way, the guy might be fairly reasonably priced in a flooded market and has produced well despite catching passes from a parade of shitty quarterbacks. He cut down on the drops with the Jets as well. He can smoke all the pole he wants if he's a wide receiver that can do something in the end zone besides gesturing for a flag while the DB leaps over the top of him and intercepts the ball.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2011, 10:06:09 AM

(He likes penis)

Is that insider information from the other Slaky? Either way, the guy might be fairly reasonably priced in a flooded market and has produced well despite catching passes from a parade of shitty quarterbacks. He cut down on the drops with the Jets as well. He can smoke all the pole he wants if he's a wide receiver that can do something in the end zone besides gesturing for a flag while the DB leaps over the top of him and intercepts the ball.

It is. I guess that's probably evidence that the NFL isn't ready for a full on ghey because according to Brad the locker room treated poor Braylon like shit.

Anyway, the Bears will never sign him because he's decent and costs money. So quit wasting your time.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2011, 10:06:09 AM

(He likes penis)

DPD, but I could survive with just about any of the wide receivers out there except Plaxico, T.O., Ochocinco, or Randy Moss since I have no doubt those fossils would make Muhsin Muhammad look like a fucking steal so long as they get a starting guard. If they just re-sign Olin Kreutz and give us the whole "keeping Olin was like a free agent signing all to itself" horse plop and then talk about Chris Williams' potential I'll be pissed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »
That was the worst DPD ever.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 22, 2011, 10:12:15 AM

Sorry. I didn't mean to cover up the bombshell that is Braylon Edwards: Ghey Male Homosecksual.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
I have faith that the Bears are sick of their offensive line worries and really want to fix it so that Cutler can become as great as they (to their credit) believe he is. Want to and know how are different things, I know. But I think there's a good chance they'll over- compensate there in FA and the receiving corps will remain highly suspect for another year. I'm more worried about the secondary than the receivers anyhow.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2011, 10:15:51 AM

Sorry. I didn't mean to cover up the bombshell that is Braylon Edwards: Ghey Male Homosecksual.

They should call him Blowin Dudeswads.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 22, 2011, 10:21:21 AM

Garblownzo Dudesbeanzs.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 22, 2011, 10:17:45 AM
I have faith that the Bears are sick of their offensive line worries and really want to fix it so that Cutler can become as great as they (to their credit) believe he is. Want to and know how are different things, I know. But I think there's a good chance they'll over- compensate there in FA and the receiving corps will remain highly suspect for another year. I'm more worried about the secondary than the receivers anyhow.

If they fix that offensive line than they'll survive with the wideouts they have, especially if they keep Hester in the slot like they did toward the end last year and keep the BBE on the outside opposite of Knox.

The problem with the line is that it sounds like Roberto Garza is just penciled in to start next year, which is bad news since he's nowhere near the player he was a few years ago. They need at least one starting guard in free agency and then you let Garza, Williams, Lance Louis, Edwin Williams, and Johan Asiata fight it out for the other spot while Gheyb locks down the blind side and Webb improves in year two over on the right. Either way, if they can find a way to drop the sack total down somewhere south of 35ish Erik Kramer's 1995 season will disappear from the record books. It's gonna hai.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 22, 2011, 10:27:53 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 22, 2011, 10:17:45 AM

If they fix that offensive line than they'll survive with the wideouts they have, especially if they keep Hester in the slot like they did toward the end last year and keep the BBE on the outside opposite of Knox.

The problem with the line is that it sounds like Roberto Garza is just penciled in to start next year, which is bad news since he's nowhere near the player he was a few years ago. They need at least one starting guard in free agency and then you let Garza, Williams, Lance Louis, Edwin Williams, and Johan Asiata fight it out for the other spot while Gheyb locks down the blind side and Webb improves in year two over on the right. Either way, if they can find a way to drop the sack total down somewhere south of 35ish Erik Kramer's 1995 season will disappear from the record books. It's gonna hai.

All of THI.

I think they know they have to replace Garza. My worry is that they'll overpay for some hack who can't play and we're completely screwed.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »
Quote from: BH on June 22, 2011, 10:24:54 AM

Garblownzo Dudesbeanzs.

If you guys keep this up we're never going to realize the dream of an all-gay NFL.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 22, 2011, 10:31:30 AM

Garblownzo Dudesbeanzs.

If you guys keep this up we're never going to realize the dream of an all-gay NFL.

In the States, we call that soccer. And it's not gonna hai.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »

Garblownzo Dudesbeanzs.

I can't believe anyone on the '07 and '08 Browns would waste valuable time making fun of Blowin when there were uberdeutsches like Kellen Winslow and Brady Quinn just begging to be mocked viciously.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »

Garblownzo Dudesbeanzs.

[flounces out of the room angrily]
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck