News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread  ( 55,820 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 15, 2013, 11:56:31 AM
Quote from: BH on January 15, 2013, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 15, 2013, 11:36:35 AM
Quote from: CBStew on January 15, 2013, 11:30:46 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 15, 2013, 11:16:54 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 15, 2013, 11:11:23 AM
Dave Toub leaving Bears to join Chiefs.

This doesn't feel like good news for Bears fans.

Meh.

Bring on Trestman the Jew and let's do this.

Marv Levy?

Trestman is a Jewish man.

So pen thought Toub would interview for the bears HC job, get turned down, then remain on the staff to work for the guy he was passed over for? That feels about right.

How would that have been worse than joining the Chiefs sans promotion?

Toub and andy reid are buds bro.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2013, 06:04:52 AM »
Trestman huh?  Is this the canadian guy?  Great hire Emery. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2013, 10:03:43 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on January 16, 2013, 06:04:52 AM
Trestman huh?  Is this the canadian guy?  Great hire Emery.  

I've got no idea if this is a good hire, it's certainly a curious hire, considering he's been out of the NFL so long and most of us probably had never heard of him prior to 2-3 weeks ago.

That said...holy shit.

The Bears hired Trestman thinking he can fix Jay Cutler when Cutler is unfixable. Cutler always will be up and down, great one minute -- throwing multiple picks the next. Nothing is going to change that. Cutler never will be an elite thrower because his head isn't screwed on right. Unless Trestman is a therapist or hypnotist Cutler will be Cutler.

Cutler is a coach killer and Trestman is next up on the chopping block.

Honestly, are the Bears so firmly committed to Cutler (now under both a GM and a coach with no real loyalties to him) that they wouldn't move on from him if both of them thought he wasn't the answer?  I just don't understand why Trestman is automatically going to be unsuccessful if Cutler proves not to be the guy.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 16, 2013, 10:03:43 AM

I've got no idea if this is a good hire, it's certainly a curious hire, considering he's been out of the NFL so long and most of us probably had never heard of him prior to 2-3 weeks ago.

That said...holy shit.

The Bears hired Trestman thinking he can fix Jay Cutler when Cutler is unfixable. Cutler always will be up and down, great one minute -- throwing multiple picks the next. Nothing is going to change that. Cutler never will be an elite thrower because his head isn't screwed on right. Unless Trestman is a therapist or hypnotist Cutler will be Cutler.

Honestly, are the Bears so firmly committed to Cutler (now under both a GM and a coach with no real loyalties to him) that they wouldn't move on from him if both of them thought he wasn't the answer?  I just don't understand why Trestman is automatically going to be unsuccessful if Cutler proves not to be the guy.

Cutler's deal expires after 2014. If he doesn't play well enough to earn new paper this year, they'll move on. Trestman made an MVP out of Rich Gannon in Oakland so if he can't maximize Cutler's potential, then nobody can. But Trestman's offenses in SF, Oakland and even Detroit and Arizona were beyond anything the Bears have ever experienced. The plan is to build that here with Trestman. If Cutler isn't the guy, they'll find the next guy and hope Trestman will win with him. If that doesn't happen, then Emstink is going to be gone. That's how this NFL thing is done, according to the internets.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
Trestman's offense also works better when it doesn't have five turnstyles on the offensive line. They've still got to address that issue.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on January 16, 2013, 10:36:52 AM
Trestman's offense also works better when it doesn't have five turnstyles on the offensive line. They've still got to address that issue.

And once they do that I can get to work on my Hester Projections for 2013.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on January 16, 2013, 10:36:52 AM

FWIW, that was also the first thing he addressed in Montreal.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 16, 2013, 10:11:19 AM

That said...holy shit.

Honestly, are the Bears so firmly committed to Cutler (now under both a GM and a coach with no real loyalties to him) that they wouldn't move on from him if both of them thought he wasn't the answer?  I just don't understand why Trestman is automatically going to be unsuccessful if Cutler proves not to be the guy.

Cutler's deal expires after 2014. If he doesn't play well enough to earn new paper this year, they'll move on. Trestman made an MVP out of Rich Gannon in Oakland so if he can't maximize Cutler's potential, then nobody can. But Trestman's offenses in SF, Oakland and even Detroit and Arizona were beyond anything the Bears have ever experienced. The plan is to build that here with Trestman. If Cutler isn't the guy, they'll find the next guy and hope Trestman will win with him. If that doesn't happen, then Emstink is going to be gone. That's how this NFL thing is done, according to the internets.

Trestman was also also Cutler's "consultant" between college and being drafted, so there is that.  This is a pretty gutsy pick for Emstink, because he has to know if Trestman fails he's certain to be lumped in with the Mustachioed Coach Who Must Not Be Named by the fan base.  On the other hand, this could be like picking a mustachioed guy from the CBA to take your NBA team from point B to Point C.   Guess I will wait a while and see how it plays out.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on January 16, 2013, 11:06:47 AM

That said...holy shit.

Trestman was also also Cutler's "consultant" between college and being drafted, so there is that.  This is a pretty gutsy pick for Emstink, because he has to know if Trestman fails he's certain to be lumped in with the Mustachioed Coach Who Must Not Be Named by the fan base.  On the other hand, this could be like picking a mustachioed guy from the CBA to take your NBA team from point B to Point C.   Guess I will wait a while and see how it plays out.

This feels like an overstated connection. Those guys work with tons of aspiring QBs to help them along.

It's like hiring the guy who helped you with your resume 10 years ago to be your boss.  I'm just not sure how much loyalty that confers, especially when now that person is responsible for the team's success, not just yours.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on January 16, 2013, 11:06:47 AM

That said...holy shit.

Trestman was also also Cutler's "consultant" between college and being drafted, so there is that.  This is a pretty gutsy pick for Emstink, because he has to know if Trestman fails he's certain to be lumped in with the Mustachioed Coach Who Must Not Be Named by the fan base.  On the other hand, this could be like picking a mustachioed guy from the CBA to take your NBA team from point B to Point C.   Guess I will wait a while and see how it plays out.

Okay... But Trestman doesn't look like he even has a moustache.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »
GUYZ WE GOT FROM MONTREAL DAT WORKED OUT:

THOSE THAT DIDN'T

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
All you 30 Rock fans, better book your trip for BEARBONNAIS right now.  Bring your posters!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
Trestman was brought in to give the team a real, competitive offense. Phil Emery obviously thinks the quickest way to do that is by fixing Cutler. Emery's made several comments about the offensive line being the biggest issue and vowing to fix it, so if he fixes that and Trestman can get a good year out of Cutler, that's what they'll do.

If he doesn't, I don't think Emery or Trestman will bring back Cutler in 2014. They've simply decided that in 2013, Cutler is their guy, and they'll do the smartest thing by doing whatever they can to help him succeed. That doesn't mean they can't move on if it fails, or that Trestman will suck if he can't fix Cutler. He'll be given the chance to get his own guy right, then too.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2013, 01:40:43 PM
Trestman was brought in to give the team a real, competitive offense. Phil Emery obviously thinks the quickest way to do that is by fixing Cutler. Emery's made several comments about the offensive line being the biggest issue and vowing to fix it, so if he fixes that and Trestman can get a good year out of Cutler, that's what they'll do.

If he doesn't, I don't think Emery or Trestman will bring back Cutler in 2014. They've simply decided that in 2013, Cutler is their guy, and they'll do the smartest thing by doing whatever they can to help him succeed. That doesn't mean they can't move on if it fails, or that Trestman will suck if he can't fix Cutler. He'll be given the chance to get his own guy right, then too.

So basically, "What Pen and Pex" said.

You can just copy/paste our posts onto your blog if you want.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 16, 2013, 02:32:41 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 16, 2013, 01:40:43 PM

So basically, "What Pen and Pex" said.

You can just copy/paste our posts onto your blog if you want.
Apex wrote for my blog once. He said Devin Hester would have ten touchdowns in one year and was never heard from again.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015