News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread  ( 55,820 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2011 - 20?? Bears Offseason(s) Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:01 AM »
DPD, but there'd have been no reason for Emery to extend Lance Briggs last year if he had any hint of possibly changing schemes in the future, because there's a player who'd be functionally useless in a 3-4. Unless people are still overreacting to Shea McClellin (and Emery himself said he still saw him as a defensive end after he fired Lovie), there's zero evidence that Emery's ever thought for a second of switching defensive schemes.

I also think it's absurd that Marinelli stayed in Tampa with Kiffin when they brought in Gruden after dumping Dungy and yet he'd consider leaving Chicago because they fired Lovie.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 17, 2013, 09:30:01 AM
DPD, but there'd have been no reason for Emery to extend Lance Briggs last year if he had any hint of possibly changing schemes in the future, because there's a player who'd be functionally useless in a 3-4. Unless people are still overreacting to Shea McClellin (and Emery himself said he still saw him as a defensive end after he fired Lovie), there's zero evidence that Emery's ever thought for a second of switching defensive schemes.

I also think it's absurd that Marinelli stayed in Tampa with Kiffin when they brought in Gruden after dumping Dungy and yet he'd consider leaving Chicago because they fired Lovie.

I'm not suggesting that they'll move to a 3-4 if they change the system. I'm suggesting that they have a few ideas about what they might run. One option is keeping Lovie's system and keeping Marinelli in place for one year while they squeeze what they can out of who they have. That's a good option if they want to try to win next year.

And if it fails then Lovie and Marinelli get the blame. 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
Per the Score, it's official that Marinelli is leaving.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
Well, balls.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
Fine, if no one else is going to do it.

Trestman's slightly too old for Yeti-bait daughters.

19 and 21.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 17, 2013, 10:26:15 AM
Per the Score, it's official that Marinelli is leaving.

So, the Bears hire Mel Tucker (recently left Jacksonville after failing to win the HC job there) and Marinelli ends up with a demotion, going to Dallas to be the D-Line coach.

The carousel is ridiculous.

Oh, and for shits and giggles, Marty Mohningweg ends up as the Jets OC, despite the fact that he hasn't actually called the plays on offense since 2007.  
Which is probably not a huge problem when you coach for an offensive-minded HC who does call the plays (Andy Reid) but could certainly pose a problem when you're the lead offensive guy on Rex Ryan's staff.  Plus, Andy taking Doug Pederson (former Eagles QB Coach) to KC to be the OC over Marty probably says something as well (not sure about whom.) Long story short, we can probably continue to laugh at the Jets for this one.  And for also just hiring a GM without scouting experience.  (Second verse, same as the first verse.)
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 17, 2013, 02:13:48 PM

19 and 21.

They look like solid 8s, but the promise of free Bears tickets pushes them over 9.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 18, 2013, 09:14:48 PM

19 and 21.

They look like solid 8s, but the promise of free Bears tickets pushes them over 9.

Which is surprising, since Marc looks a little like James Carville with thicker eyebrows and some more hair.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 18, 2013, 09:47:12 PM

19 and 21.

Which is surprising, since Marc looks a little like James Carville with thicker eyebrows and some more hair.

Is there anyone Trestman doesn't look like?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 18, 2013, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 18, 2013, 09:47:12 PM

19 and 21.

Is there anyone Trestman doesn't look like?

He doesn't look very much like the guy from Big Bang Theory.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: January 19, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 16, 2013, 10:03:43 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on January 16, 2013, 06:04:52 AM
Trestman huh?  Is this the canadian guy?  Great hire Emery.  

I've got no idea if this is a good hire, it's certainly a curious hire, considering he's been out of the NFL so long and most of us probably had never heard of him prior to 2-3 weeks ago.

That said...holy shit.

The Bears hired Trestman thinking he can fix Jay Cutler when Cutler is unfixable. Cutler always will be up and down, great one minute -- throwing multiple picks the next. Nothing is going to change that. Cutler never will be an elite thrower because his head isn't screwed on right. Unless Trestman is a therapist or hypnotist Cutler will be Cutler.

Cutler is a coach killer and Trestman is next up on the chopping block.

Honestly, are the Bears so firmly committed to Cutler (now under both a GM and a coach with no real loyalties to him) that they wouldn't move on from him if both of them thought he wasn't the answer?  I just don't understand why Trestman is automatically going to be unsuccessful if Cutler proves not to be the guy.

If anybody here had never heard the name before 2-3 weeks ago, they're either not into football or they're 15 years old &  would've been too young to remember when his name kept coming up for coaching  jobs 10 years ago.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs