News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 NLDS Games Thread: Eat Shit, St. Louis  ( 25,782 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 NLDS Games Thread: Eat Shit, St. Louis
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:25 PM »
DPD.  There's an underground trash fire under St. Louis, burning since 2010, that might reach some nuclear waste and wipe out the city.  I'm not making this up. 

Better clinch at Wrigley, Cubs, because you don't want to go back:

QuoteGovernment officials have quietly adopted an emergency plan in case the smoldering embers ever reach the waste, a potentially "catastrophic event" that could send up a plume of radioactive smoke over a densely populated area near the city's main airport.

The cause of the fire is unknown.  For years, the most immediate concern has been an odor created by the smoldering.  Republic Services is spending millions of dollars to ease or eliminate the smell by removing concrete pipes that allowed the odor to escape and installing plastic caps over parts of the landfill.

Directly next to Bridgeton Landfill is West Lake Landfill, also owned by Republic Services.  The West Lake facility was contaminated with radioactive waste from uranium processing by a St. Louis company known as Mallinckrodt Chemical.  The waste was illegally dumped in 1973 and includes material that dates back to the Manhattan Project, which created the first atomic bomb in the 1940s.

The proximity of the two environmental hazards is what worries residents and environmentalists.  At the closest point, they are 1,000 to 1,200 feet apart.

If the underground fire reaches the waste, "there is a potential for radioactive fallout to be released in the smoke plume and spread throughout the region," according to the disaster plan.

The plan calls for evacuations and development of emergency shelters, both in St. Louis County and neighboring St. Charles County.  Private and volunteer groups, and perhaps the federal government, would be called upon to help, depending on the severity of the emergency.

Few underground fires can match one in Centralia, Pennsylvania.  In 1962, a huge pile of trash in the town dump, near a coal mine, was set on fire, and it has burned beneath the town for more than half a century.  Only a few people remain in a community that once had 1,000 residents.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
Well THAT explains everything. No wonder the Tards' mouth-breathing fans are toothless or about down to their last tooth.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
Certain ads about losing one's other fastball are hitting a little too close to home for Adam Wainwright.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
Truman Capote, anyone?

/Wheezerdelivery

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2015, 11:10:35 PM »
I've noticed today that WGN-AM is conspicuously omitting start times at the top of the hour when mentioning that there's a game tomorrow. I don't think even WBEZ stoops to that level.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2015, 11:19:38 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 11, 2015, 06:06:17 PM
Truman Capote, anyone?

/Wheezerdelivery

I'd prefer a plebiscite on this optassignotian.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2015, 07:00:59 AM »
M'lady.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2015, 07:57:40 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 11, 2015, 11:10:35 PM
I've noticed today that WGN-AM is conspicuously omitting start times at the top of the hour when mentioning that there's a game tomorrow. I don't think even WBEZ stoops to that level.

Until the end of the Toronto-Texas game, the Cubs game time was TBD

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »
Seriously, though, the Cubs pwning some omelette stations and watching football from the field yesterday was the best thing I saw yesterday and that includes said viewed football game.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
The thing where Tommy Pham, Stephen Piscotty, and Randal Grichuk are the entire Cardinal offense is making me itch something fierce.

I hate these three guys more than anyone on their team mostly because they're the guys Cardinal fans whine about never getting enough respect in comparison to Kris Bryant.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2015, 09:05:40 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 12, 2015, 08:57:26 AM
The thing where Tommy Pham, Stephen Piscotty, and Randal Grichuk are the entire Cardinal offense is making me itch something fierce.

I hate these three guys more than anyone on their team mostly because they're the guys Cardinal fans whine about never getting enough respect in comparison to Kris Bryant.

I don't at all mind watching the Grichuk home run just for his curtain call.  Seriously, a curtain call for a solo home run that cut The Cubs lead to 3 without any more scoring the rest of the game.  The Cardinal Way indeed.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 12, 2015, 09:05:40 AM

I don't at all mind watching the Grichuk home run just for his curtain call.  Seriously, a curtain call for a solo home run that cut The Cubs lead to 3 without any more scoring the rest of the game.  The Cardinal Way indeed.

He will fire my hate in a way no player has since Gary Carter. It actually disappointed me when I met Carter and he was actually a really cool guy. I wanted him to be a jagoff.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2015, 09:19:44 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 12, 2015, 09:05:40 AM

I thought I saw a curtain call for that, but then figured I was seeing things because it made no sense. I guess it's good I'm not crazy.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »
Curious as to how many Desippiots will be at the game today.  I am hoping for many curtain calls.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on October 12, 2015, 09:57:58 AM
Curious as to how many Desippiots will be at the game today.  I am hoping for many curtain calls.

I'll be there tomorrow.  The last playoff game I went to was the last one they won there.