News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,918 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #1200 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »
Quote from: MikeC on April 27, 2010, 09:59:21 AM

Now Senator Dodd, who will choose retirement rather than face the voters (who will likely vote his ass out), has moved onto Financial Reform. Basically everything this guy touches is a crap sandwich smothered in a fat philly fans vomit.

Regardless of what I think of Mike's politics, this is a great line.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1201 on: April 27, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 27, 2010, 09:28:24 AM
Quote from: Brownie on April 23, 2010, 04:50:11 PM
General Motors paid back its original TARP loans...

... with other TARP money.

Fuck you, Ed Whitacre.

According to a news source and not "Reason":

Quotethe Associated Press reported, GM received a total of $52 billion from the U.S. government and $9.5 billion from the Canadian and Ontario governments as part of its bankruptcy reorganization. The U.S. considered $6.7 billion of the $52 billion as a loan.

In fact, GM still owes $45.3 billion to the U.S. and $8.1 billion to Canada, money it received in exchange for shares in the company. GM said it hopes to repay those amounts with an eventual public stock offering, the AP reported.

So, GM paid back the loan portion of the US bail out funds.  This totaled $6.7 billion.  But, they still owe Canada $8.1 billion.

It would be just as accurate to say that GM paid back the US with Canadian funds as it would be to say that they used "TARP" funds to pay back the loan.

Bottom line: GM has paid back a loan quicker than they were supposed to.  That's good, right?

They simply swapped debt for more equity.

So, yeah, GM doesn't owe us any loans anymore, but we, the taxpayer "own" $45.3 billion in GM stock. Yay?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1202 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 27, 2010, 11:30:36 AM

Fuck you, Ed Whitacre.

Quotethe Associated Press reported, GM received a total of $52 billion from the U.S. government and $9.5 billion from the Canadian and Ontario governments as part of its bankruptcy reorganization. The U.S. considered $6.7 billion of the $52 billion as a loan.

In fact, GM still owes $45.3 billion to the U.S. and $8.1 billion to Canada, money it received in exchange for shares in the company. GM said it hopes to repay those amounts with an eventual public stock offering, the AP reported.

So, GM paid back the loan portion of the US bail out funds.  This totaled $6.7 billion.  But, they still owe Canada $8.1 billion.

It would be just as accurate to say that GM paid back the US with Canadian funds as it would be to say that they used "TARP" funds to pay back the loan.

Bottom line: GM has paid back a loan quicker than they were supposed to.  That's good, right?

So, yeah, GM doesn't owe us any loans anymore, but we, the taxpayer "own" $45.3 billion in GM stock. Yay?

SELL!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1203 on: April 27, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »

Fuck you, Ed Whitacre.

GM would probably help themselves out if they just made better cars.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1204 on: April 27, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 27, 2010, 11:46:37 AM

Fuck you, Ed Whitacre.

GM would probably help themselves out if they just made better cars.

As I recall it, the year they sold the most cars they ever have (2007?) they also posted their biggest loss.  That cannot be a sound business model.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1205 on: April 27, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »

Fuck you, Ed Whitacre.

GM would probably help themselves us out if they we just made better cars.

Assuming 350 million Americans, you own about $130 in GM equity.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1206 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

No, but owning $45.3 billion in stock is better than owning $45.3 billion in stock and $6.3 billion in unsecured debt.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1207 on: April 27, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 27, 2010, 12:06:45 PM

Fuck you, Ed Whitacre.

Where's my employee discount then?!?!?!?!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1208 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 27, 2010, 12:54:54 PM
Quote from: Brownie on April 27, 2010, 12:06:45 PM

Fuck you, Ed Whitacre.

Where's my employee discount then?!?!?!?!

Employee? Fuck that. You're the employer. Might make any dealings you have with the UAW a little, um, awkward. Except they own more than you. (Or maybe it's Chrysler they own a shitload of)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1209 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 27, 2010, 12:52:47 PM

No, but owning $45.3 billion in stock is better than owning $45.3 52 billion in stock and $6.3 billion in unsecured debt.

Capital structure math'd.  And I'm not so sure of your logic, since bondholders > stockholders in a liquidation.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1210 on: April 27, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on April 27, 2010, 12:57:49 PM

No, but owning $45.3 billion in stock is better than owning $45.3 52 billion in stock and $6.3 billion in unsecured debt.

Capital structure math'd.  And I'm not so sure of your logic, since bondholders > stockholders in a liquidation.

If you believe that, in a liquidation, there would be enough cash to get to the unsecured bond holders after the secured parties, well, then I can't help you.

Given the risks of default, which are probably about equal in this scenario, the debt has no upside while the stock does.

I'm just happy they owe us less.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1211 on: April 27, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 27, 2010, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: morpheus on April 27, 2010, 12:57:49 PM

If you believe that, in a liquidation, there would be enough cash to get to the unsecured bond holders after the secured parties, well, then I can't help you.

Given the risks of default, which are probably about equal in this scenario, the debt has no upside while the stock does.

I'm just happy they owe us less.

Well, I can get behind that last statement.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1212 on: April 27, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1213 on: April 27, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club