News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,912 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #1470 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:03 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 20, 2010, 06:54:32 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 20, 2010, 06:09:37 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on May 20, 2010, 01:39:11 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 20, 2010, 01:05:55 PM
Again, the constraints should be placed on government before it's placed on the people.

And, by "people" what we really mean is "business owners."

A business owner is a person. So yeah, we mean business owners can protect their property as much as non-business-owning people can protect theirs.

I don't count corporate entities as natural persons, nor is it reasonable to presume that business owners are not lessors. The point, however, was that the discrimination-is-no-problem argument places the rights of the "nation of shopkeepers" in a supervenient position to those of the "people of customers."

Is that like a really big 7-11?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1471 on: May 20, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 20, 2010, 07:01:03 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on May 20, 2010, 06:54:32 PM
Again, the constraints should be placed on government before it's placed on the people.

A business owner is a person. So yeah, we mean business owners can protect their property as much as non-business-owning people can protect theirs.

I don't count corporate entities as natural persons, nor is it reasonable to presume that business owners are not lessors. The point, however, was that the discrimination-is-no-problem argument places the rights of the "nation of shopkeepers" in a supervenient position to those of the "people of customers."

Is that like a really big 7-11?

It was indeed a poor word choice.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1472 on: May 20, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2010, 06:47:02 PM
Quote from: Bort on May 20, 2010, 06:22:15 PM

Quote from: Fork on May 20, 2010, 01:45:55 PM

So then was the Government overstepping its authority by violating the 10th Amendment in emancipating slaves?

You're confusing Federalism and Libertarianism. Bruce Bartlett did. You can be a Federalist and a Commie and you can have a broader view of the Constitution and be a libertarian.

If you believe the power of government need to be constrained to protect the rights of the individual, I'm not sure how you can make a case for involuntary servitude.

T. J. is right. There is not a single form of Libertarianism across either the left or right end of the spectrum that does not believe that all labor relationships must be entered into voluntarily. Whether you are a Rothbardian Libertarian, an Anarcho-Syndicalist, a Stirnerite, or an Anarcho-Communist, no one can force you to labor for another.

This. That, and they believe that people who just wanna have fun should be allowed to do everything within their rights to have that fun, as it's all they really want.

Provided they have completed that day's work.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1473 on: May 20, 2010, 08:40:55 PM »
DPD.

NSFW - Language.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/3yez
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1474 on: May 20, 2010, 11:10:12 PM »
Expanded coverage to 5 million more individuals, cut foreign aid, and got the debt to 57% of GDP by 2018.  No VAT, either.

http://crfb.org/stabilizethedebt/
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1475 on: May 21, 2010, 07:21:35 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 20, 2010, 11:10:12 PM
Expanded coverage to 5 million more individuals, cut foreign aid, and got the debt to 57% of GDP by 2018.  No VAT, either.

56% by 2018.  Mostly through entitlement reform, but I also let all the Bush tax cuts expire.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1476 on: May 21, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on May 21, 2010, 07:21:35 AM

56% by 2018.  Mostly through entitlement reform, but I also let all the Bush tax cuts expire.

TEC is a Taxandspendocrat?!?

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1477 on: May 21, 2010, 08:23:59 AM »
http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/05/rand-paul-obama-criticism-of-bp-un-american.html

QuoteIn an interview Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Paul says the president's response is part of the "blame game" that's played in the U.S. Paul said that leads to the thinking that tragic incidents are "always someone's fault" and added, sometimes accidents just happen.

Hey Rand do yourself and the rest of us a favor and shut up.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1478 on: May 21, 2010, 08:24:19 AM »
Quote from: CT III on May 21, 2010, 08:22:39 AM
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on May 21, 2010, 07:21:35 AM

TEC is a Taxandspendocrat?!?

Jim DeMint's gonna have my legs broke.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1479 on: May 21, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on May 21, 2010, 08:23:59 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/05/rand-paul-obama-criticism-of-bp-un-american.html

QuoteIn an interview Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Paul says the president's response is part of the "blame game" that's played in the U.S. Paul said that leads to the thinking that tragic incidents are "always someone's fault" and added, sometimes accidents just happen.

Hey Rand do yourself and the rest of us a favor and shut up.

The Tea Party is the beast that is turning on its master. Good luck getting those independents this fall.
TIME TO POST!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1480 on: May 21, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »
Some interesting thoughts on the Tory-Lib Dem coalition and their completely wacko approach to civil liberties abuses:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/05/21/britain/index.html

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1481 on: May 21, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1972721,00.html

QuoteIn his ads, Grayson is attempting to paint Paul as a kook whose beliefs are outside the mainstream. Which may explain why on several issues, Paul is edging toward the center: Pure libertarians, he says, believe the market should dictate policy on nearly everything from the environment to health care. Paul has lately said he would not leave abortion to the states, he doesn't believe in legalizing drugs like marijuana and cocaine, he'd support federal drug laws, he'd vote to support Kentucky's coal interests and he'd be tough on national security.

"They thought all along that they could call me a libertarian and hang that label around my neck like an albatross, but I'm not a libertarian," Paul says between Lasik surgeries at his medical office, where his campaign is headquartered, with a few desks crammed between treatment rooms.

http://www.frumforum.com/rand-pauls-personal-special-interest

QuoteRand Paul's libertarianism stops where his pocketbook starts, or so reports the Wall Street Journal today:

QuoteTea party favorite Rand Paul has rocketed to the lead ahead of Tuesday's Republican Senate primary here on a resolute pledge to balance the federal budget and slash the size of government.

But on Thursday evening, the ophthalmologist from Bowling Green said there was one thing he would not cut: Medicare physician payments.

In fact, Paul — who says 50% of his patients are on Medicare — wants to end cuts to physician payments under a program now in place called the sustained growth rate, or SGR. "Physicians should be allowed to make a comfortable living.

I guess this is what the original Rand meant by the morality of selfishness.

Both via: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/05/in-defense-of-rand-paul-kinda-ctd-2.html

Where Sully's reader notes:

QuotePaul is willing to bend the issue of pure personal freedom for drug laws, abortion, and even coal subsidies ... but he thinks telling a restaurant it cannot discriminate is a bridge too far?  I still don't think he's racist, but what he chooses to be ideologically pure about certainly raises my eyebrow.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1482 on: May 21, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on May 21, 2010, 01:58:16 PM
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1972721,00.html

QuoteIn his ads, Grayson is attempting to paint Paul as a kook whose beliefs are outside the mainstream. Which may explain why on several issues, Paul is edging toward the center: Pure libertarians, he says, believe the market should dictate policy on nearly everything from the environment to health care. Paul has lately said he would not leave abortion to the states, he doesn't believe in legalizing drugs like marijuana and cocaine, he'd support federal drug laws, he'd vote to support Kentucky's coal interests and he'd be tough on national security.

"They thought all along that they could call me a libertarian and hang that label around my neck like an albatross, but I'm not a libertarian," Paul says between Lasik surgeries at his medical office, where his campaign is headquartered, with a few desks crammed between treatment rooms.

http://www.frumforum.com/rand-pauls-personal-special-interest

QuoteRand Paul's libertarianism stops where his pocketbook starts, or so reports the Wall Street Journal today:

QuoteTea party favorite Rand Paul has rocketed to the lead ahead of Tuesday's Republican Senate primary here on a resolute pledge to balance the federal budget and slash the size of government.

But on Thursday evening, the ophthalmologist from Bowling Green said there was one thing he would not cut: Medicare physician payments.

In fact, Paul — who says 50% of his patients are on Medicare — wants to end cuts to physician payments under a program now in place called the sustained growth rate, or SGR. "Physicians should be allowed to make a comfortable living.

I guess this is what the original Rand meant by the morality of selfishness.

Both via: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/05/in-defense-of-rand-paul-kinda-ctd-2.html

Where Sully's reader notes:

QuotePaul is willing to bend the issue of pure personal freedom for drug laws, abortion, and even coal subsidies ... but he thinks telling a restaurant it cannot discriminate is a bridge too far?  I still don't think he's racist, but what he chooses to be ideologically pure about certainly raises my eyebrow.

All fair points. It would have been refreshing to see Paul make headlines questioning the drug war and turning his back on Ky. Coal Subsidies.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1483 on: May 21, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
DPD

Everyone must be playing Pac Man on Google or something, but just one final counterargument explaining the silliness of suggesting libertarians support Jim Crow:

QuoteBut this controversy does raise the very important topic of the government's central role in American racism. First and foremost, Jim Crow was a legal regime, one that relied on state and local laws to restrict the political, social, and economic liberty of African Americans. Those laws interfered with the right to vote, to acquire property, to contract, to travel, to associate, to marry, and to keep and bear arms. Under the 14th Amendment, state and local governments are forbidden from violating such rights. Yet as we all know, the courts only selectively enforced the 14th Amendment during the Jim Crow era. Indeed, the Supreme Court has yet to enforce the 14th Amendment when it comes to gun rights. But none of that changes the fact that we're talking primarily about state action, not about some failure of the free market.

It's also important to acknowledge that economic rights are not in some inherent conflict with civil rights. In fact, we have significant historical evidence showing that legally enforced property rights (and other forms of economic liberty) actually undermined the Jim Crow regime. Most famously, the NAACP won its first Supreme Court victory in 1917 by arguing that a residential segregation law was a racist interference with property rights under the 14th Amendment.

Finally, keep in mind that Plessy v. Ferguson, the notorious 1896 Supreme Court decision that enshrined "separate but equal" into law and become a symbol of the Jim Crow era, dealt with a Louisiana law that forbid railroad companies from selling first-class tickets to blacks. That's not a market failure, it's a racist government assault on economic liberty.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1484 on: May 21, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 21, 2010, 03:25:40 PM
All fair points. It would have been refreshing to see Paul make headlines questioning the drug war and turning his back on Ky. Coal Subsidies.

You dare to suggest that we spend LESS on Homeland Defense?  Why do you HATE AMERICA?!?!?!?!?!