News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,898 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #2805 on: October 27, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2806 on: October 27, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 26, 2010, 06:41:10 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 26, 2010, 05:25:24 PM
Your latest GOP ballot wedge...

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/10/oklahomas-preemptive-strike-against-sharia-law/65081/

Ain't no damn Muslin faqīh gonna make Oklahoma fast durin' Rambodon. No, suh.

Read the comments.  This Republichic has to be a parody.

What is this Fox News of which she speaks?  I have been searching for the Grail for my entire life and she seems to have found it. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2807 on: October 27, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 27, 2010, 12:17:45 PM
Some news from New Jersey:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-tunnel-christie-20101028,0,2187939.story

Governor Christie's conservative values demand that we immediately return to the 19th Century.  Why do we need train tunnels under rivers when there are all of those perfectly good horse drawn carriages left over in the museums?  Anyway, why would people in New Jersey want to get to New York?  Oh.  Wait.  That's a rhetorical question, isn't it?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2808 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 27, 2010, 12:28:07 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-tunnel-christie-20101028,0,2187939.story

Governor Christie's conservative values demand that we immediately return to the 19th Century.  Why do we need train tunnels under rivers when there are all of those perfectly good horse drawn carriages left over in the museums?  Anyway, why would people in New Jersey want to get to New York?  Oh.  Wait.  That's a rhetorical question, isn't it?

Why would NJ want to buy something it can't pay for?  I think that's probably the more relevant question.  Tunnels cost money to build and NJ doesn't have any money; it is in debt and would have to borrow more to pay its share of the tunnel expenses.

I apologize if you were writing in green font there.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2809 on: October 27, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »

OK, so the tunnel to Macy's basement was originally going to be a mere $5B. Then, it rose to $8.7B. Then, to $11B or $14B. And all the overruns would fall on NJ.

Chris Christie has balls. That's nice to see.

How about the several hundred million Illinois will be spending to connect Chicago with that bustling but remote and hard to get to center of commerce Iowa City. Why, a 3-hour drive down I-80 needs to be cut to 1 1/2 hours at any cost!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2810 on: October 27, 2010, 12:56:11 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 27, 2010, 12:51:57 PM

OK, so the tunnel to Macy's basement was originally going to be a mere $5B. Then, it rose to $8.7B. Then, to $11B or $14B. And all the overruns would fall on NJ.

How about the several hundred million Illinois will be spending to connect Chicago with that bustling but remote and hard to get to center of commerce Iowa City. Why, a 3-hour drive down I-80 needs to be cut to 1 1/2 hours at any cost!

Soon there will be no such thing as Chicago or Illinois or America. It will just be Iowa.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2811 on: October 27, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 27, 2010, 12:56:11 PM

Soon there will be no such thing as Chicago or Illinois or America. It will just be Iowa.

Then SKO has well and truly won.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2812 on: October 27, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »

Governor Christie's conservative values demand that we immediately return to the 19th Century.  Why do we need train tunnels under rivers when there are all of those perfectly good horse drawn carriages left over in the museums?  Anyway, why would people in New Jersey want to get to New York?  Oh.  Wait.  That's a rhetorical question, isn't it?

Just want to point out that noted Chris Christie and teaparty-affiliated lobbying group Sierra Club also doesn't think it's a good project.
Originally, the ARC project was designed to serve several purposes. First, the plan was to create another tunnel into New York. There were other important goals, including providing New Jersey commuters access to the Grand Central Station and the East Side of Manhattan, creating a backup tunnel for Amtrak that would service Penn Station or the new Moynihan Station, and enabling trains to travel from one area of the metropolitan region to another.

"Unfortunately, this tunnel now only meets the first of those goals and not the other four," NJ Sierra Club Director Jeff Tittel said. "Instead of connecting to Penn Station or the new Moynihan Station, the tunnel dead ends 180 feet below the ground, two blocks from Penn Station. The project is now the tunnel to Macy's basement."

The Sierra Club is concerned that this configuration will undermine good transportation planning for the region. Because it the tunnel is proposed to be so far under ground, it may deter people from using it and could be a risk in the event of an emergency.

As proposed, to get to ground level, passengers will have to travel the equivalent of 20 stories via a series of escalators that will be longer than two football fields. "This labyrinth of tunnels will be more reminiscent of a corn maze than a train station," Tittel said.

Besides the long travel time involved in getting to ground levels and the added risk during an emergency, the configuration as planned will be confusing for passengers. For example, NJ Transit will continue to use Penn Station in addition to the tunnel station. At rush hour, when there many trains are coming and departing, it will be confusing for passengers, who will have to determine if they are leaving from Penn Station or the ARC tunnel station two blocks away.

Once they figure out their departure location, passengers then will then have to navigate through the series of underground walkways. One of the options NJ Transit is considering in order to alleviate the confusion is to have all train lines go to Penn Station except the two Bergen Lines, which will use the new tunnel.

"The Bergen Line would then be the railroad from Xanadu to Macy's basement," Tittel said. "This project seems to be more about pay to play and overdevelopment in the Meadowlands."

There are presently five major proposals for the expansion of train service in and out of Midtown Manhattan. Mayor Bloomberg is working to extend the Seven Train, which will go right above this NJ Transit tunnel. The Long Island Railroad wants to provide access to the East Side. Sen. Chuck Schumer is pushing for the new Moynihan Station in Midtown. Congressman Jerry Nadler wants to establish a freight rail tunnel to displace traffic from the roads. Then there's this NJ Transit tunnel proposal. Each project is expecting, and actively seeking, federal dollars.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2813 on: October 27, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 27, 2010, 12:57:41 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 27, 2010, 12:56:11 PM

Then SKO has well and truly won.

You were never supposed to discover the plan this soon. I cannot be responsible for the blood that must be shed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2814 on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »

State government: the last vestige of fiscal conservatism.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2815 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »

Actually, they are looking at a 5 hour trip from Chicago to IC on 78 MPH trains.

In case anyone is curious, the distance is about 240 miles.

Good for Christie canceling this project.  At least, in a vacuum it seems to be a good decision.  We don't have money to spend. But what projects is he keeping? Are there better projects to cancel?  Aren't roads and infrastructure exactly what government is for?  And, maybe the real reason for canceling this is his reluctance to raise a gas tax.  You would think a new tunnel would relieve congestion and reduce the economic burden of longer commutes and make the flow of capital easier thereby reducing the actual long-term cost.

Bully for him for not spending the money.  So long as the reasons make sense.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2816 on: October 27, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 27, 2010, 01:01:36 PM

State government: the last vestige of fiscal conservatism.

Or, perhaps, the rebirth.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2817 on: October 27, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on October 27, 2010, 12:45:15 PM

Why would NJ want to buy something it can't pay for?  I think that's probably the more relevant question.  Tunnels cost money to build and NJ doesn't have any money; it is in debt and would have to borrow more to pay its share of the tunnel expenses.

NJ has been an ecponomic trainwreck of irresponsible tax cuts and off-budget spending for decades. This tunnel is a bad idea, but I have every confidence that if it is killed, it will be replaced by another economic sinkhole that is as bad or worse than this one.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2818 on: October 27, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 27, 2010, 01:25:46 PM
Quote from: morpheus on October 27, 2010, 12:45:15 PM

NJ has been an ecponomic trainwreck of irresponsible tax cuts and off-budget spending for decades. This tunnel is a bad idea, but I have every confidence that if it is killed, it will be replaced by another economic sinkhole that is as bad or worse than this one.

Just as long as they don't shut down the money pit.  That project is well worth it.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2819 on: October 27, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »

For once it's good to see any politician who preached fiscal responsibility actually follow through.