News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,910 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #2880 on: November 02, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 02, 2010, 09:53:45 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 02, 2010, 09:22:42 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 02, 2010, 09:21:48 PM
Jesus... That stupid recall amendment is gonna pass, isn't it?

Pretty resoundingly, I think.

Probably DRLP or something, but why wouldn't we want that option?

I voted against it because it's expensive and unnecessary.  If you don't like the guy you JUST ELECTED, then wait until he runs for re-election and vote him out then.  I don't understand this need to install some sort of a mulligan just because the electorate had second thoughts about the guy they just elected.

And if a an elected offical is deemed unfit for the office for which the electorate had installed him, well there are already checks and balances in place for that.  We didn't need a recall election to get Blago out of office--the state legislature did that for us.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2881 on: November 02, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »
All valid arguments, which I understand. But...

"Any effort to recall a governor would need to be signed by what amounts to several hundreds of thousands of voters. And it'd need support from 10 state senators and 20 representatives - an equal number Democrats and Republicans. "

http://www.wbez.org/story/news/politics/election-2010-close-look-illinois-recall-amendent

So, this is actually kind of slapdick. I doubt it ever gets used.

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2882 on: November 02, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
So are the people electing these Tea Party candidates with zero political experience the same people who bitched about Obama's lack of experience in 2008?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2883 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 02, 2010, 10:50:43 PM
So are the people electing these Tea Party candidates with zero political experience the same people who bitched about Obama's lack of experience in 2008?

They're not the best kind of inexperienced; but they're the right kind of inexperienced (?). Also, I hate America and the troops. Also I'm drunker than TDubbs' mother.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2884 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:37 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 02, 2010, 09:22:42 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 02, 2010, 09:21:48 PM
Jesus... That stupid recall amendment is gonna pass, isn't it?

Pretty resoundingly, I think.

It needed a threshold of 60%. Which it appears to have cleared.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2885 on: November 02, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »
Democrats to retain control of the Senate. Looks like Kirk's pulling away, along with Toomey. Nevada, Colorado, and Washington state still too close.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2886 on: November 02, 2010, 11:13:49 PM »
We can all now hope for the legislative paralysis that, coincidentally or not, seems to spur economic growth in this country.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2887 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »
Alexi is out of politics for now.  America and Illinois wins.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2888 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »
Harry Reid, you magnificent bastard, you won me 250 dollars!!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2889 on: November 02, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 02, 2010, 11:40:05 PM

Thank the Tea Party. That moron was right there in the crosshairs and they gave us Sharron Angle.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2890 on: November 02, 2010, 11:55:59 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 02, 2010, 11:14:43 PM
Alexi is out of politics for now.  America and Illinois wins.

THI
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2891 on: November 03, 2010, 01:02:09 AM »
Interesting.  20%+ of the electorate in this midterm were voters over 65 years old.  They overwhelmingly voted Republican.  Should be fun to watch the dynamic between this constituency and the Tea Party faction's desire to cut the very sources of their livelihood (Medicare and Social Security).

Also, I think any proclamation that this election is a portent for 2012 is wildly overblown.

Welcome to thunderdome, indeed.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2892 on: November 03, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2010, 11:41:07 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 02, 2010, 11:40:05 PM

Thank the Tea Party. That moron was right there in the crosshairs and they gave us Sharron Angle.

Harry Reid is not only still in the Senate, but still the majority leader because of one person: Sarah Palin.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2893 on: November 03, 2010, 07:12:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 02, 2010, 11:13:49 PM
We can all now hope for the legislative paralysis that, coincidentally or not, seems to spur economic growth in this country.

Or not.

QuoteSo the midterm elections themselves give the stock markets a bounce. But what about what comes after the elections—in this case, gridlock?

There, research shows that gridlock—contrary to general opinion on Wall Street—does not actually do much for stocks. Sam Stovall, the chief investment strategist for Standard & Poor's Equity Research Services, finds that gridlocked Congresses hurt the markets—and that the combination of a Republican House, a Democratic Senate, and a Democratic White House might be particularly awful.

Stovall studied the performance of the S&P 500 from 1900 until this year under three scenarios: total unity (one party controlling the House, Senate, and White House), partial gridlock (one party controlling both houses of Congress and the other controlling the White House), and total gridlock (a divided Congress).

Over all years, the S&P rose at a 6.8 percent annual pace. During times of total unity, 67 of the 111 years analyzed, it gained 7.6 percent annual pace. During times of partial gridlock, accounting for 32 years, they gained 6.8 percent. And during the 12 years of a gridlocked Congress, the S&P gained just 2 percent per year. Looking at more recent years, since 1945, the pattern holds. Under total unity, stocks climbed at a 10.7 percent annual pace. Under partial gridlock, they gained 7.6 percent per year. And under total gridlock, which accounts for eight of the 65 years, they gained just 3.5 percent per year.

Of course, it's possible that gridlock is the result of a bad economy: Congress and the voting public can't agree on a way out of the mess. And Stovall allows that his analysis might be "simply another example of coincidental correlation." But, in a note to investors, he argues that the reason total gridlock hurts big stocks is uncertainty. Divided governments do not lay out their priorities, and the infighting endemic to gridlocked Congresses hurts businesses. "Should a split Congress be the result of the November 2 elections, the resulting uncertainty may just end up adding one more stone to this already high wall of worry, limiting the otherwise strong performance that is typically seen in a president's third year in office," Stovall concluded.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2894 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:59 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 03, 2010, 01:02:09 AM
Interesting.  20%+ of the electorate in this midterm were voters over 65 years old.  They overwhelmingly voted Republican.  Should be fun to watch the dynamic between this constituency and the Tea Party faction's desire to cut the very sources of their livelihood (Medicare and Social Security).

Also, I think any proclamation that this election is a portent for 2012 is wildly overblown.

Welcome to thunderdome, indeed.

Now that GOP has successfully used the Tea Party for their own gains, those tea party candidates will be shoved aside as the GOP returns to their version of big government and deficit spending.