News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,891 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #4125 on: July 03, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
Now THIS, is irony:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/parish_man_protesting_motorcyc.html

QuoteA Parish man who was participating in a motorcycle helmet protest ride was killed this afternoon when he went over the handlebars of his motorcycle and injured his head on the pavement, state police said.

Evidence at the scene and information from the attending physician indicate Contos would have survived if he had been wearing a Department of Transportation approved helmet, troopers said.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4126 on: July 07, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/chicago-marijuana-arrest-statistics/Content?oid=4198958

QuoteThe ratio of black to white arrests for marijuana possession in Chicago is 15 to 1, according to a Reader analysis of police and court data. And by the time the cases make their way through the court system, the gap widens even further: the ratio among those who plead or are found guilty is 40 to 1.

Here's another way to look at it: almost nine of every ten people who end up guilty of possessing marijuana in Chicago—86 percent, to be precise—are black men.

The racial gap has become so glaring that Cook County Board president Toni Preckwinkle says something has to change, if only because taxpayers can't afford to continue arresting, detaining, and prosecuting low-level marijuana offenders. In an interview last week, Preckwinkle, for the first time, said what no other high-ranking local official has dared: "I think we should decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana, that's for sure."

Preckwinkle added that she recently told Chicago police superintendent Garry McCarthy to "stop arresting people for small amounts of drugs, because you're wasting our time."

McCarthy did not respond to our requests for comment on the racial disparity. Instead, a spokeswoman e-mailed a statement: "Crime and disorder issues emerge from a complicated web of social ills which law enforcement alone cannot correct."

Swanson and other activists want the police to stop making so many marijuana arrests, but Superintendent McCarthy's position on the issue is not clear—at times he's argued different sides of the same issue.

Cook County state's attorney Anita Alvarez, whose office is responsible for prosecuting the cases, puts the onus on McCarthy and the police. "We handle the cases that come in," she says. "As far as any specifics as to how people are getting arrested, that's not a question for me—that's a question for the police department."

Furthermore, Alvarez says she is not about to join the call to decriminalize marijuana, though she would be open to "sitting at the table" for a discussion of drug policies. "If the state wants to legalize marijuana, well, that will be the law, but it's not a discussion we've had here."

That leaves Preckwinkle as the only prominent elected official in Chicago speaking candidly about the matter. In June she spoke at a downtown rally decrying the 40-year-old war on drugs as a failure. No other elected officials showed up.

In our interview, Preckwinkle noted that it costs taxpayers $143 a day to house someone in the Cook County jail. "The drug policies in this country are stupid and extraordinarily expensive," she said.

When asked why marijuana laws have such a disproportionate impact on blacks, she simply said: "Poverty and racism."

Still, Preckwinkle says she realizes if anything builds support for changing marijuana and other drug laws, it's likely to be the cost to taxpayers of arresting, detaining, and incarcerating users.

"If you have no compassion for the people in the criminal justice system or their families or the communities from which they come, and all you care about is the money, I'll take you as an ally any day."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4127 on: July 07, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
"Toni Preckwinkle"?   I feel like I am back in the seventh grade.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4128 on: July 07, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 07, 2011, 05:43:49 PM

Racist.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4130 on: July 08, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
Quote from: CT III on July 07, 2011, 06:10:16 PM

Racist.

Intrepid Reader: Wheezer

Something something something orthopaedic shoes.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4131 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4132 on: July 08, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on July 07, 2011, 10:30:25 PM
Read it and weep, Nixon-haters: http://nationalinterest.org/blog/jacob-heilbrunn/the-importance-nixon-todays-gop-5577

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/opinion/06iht-edswitzer06.html?_r=3&ref=global
In the past two decades, the accepted wisdom in Washington has embraced several expressions about the U.S. place in the post-Cold War world, from "indispensable nation" and "sole remaining superpower" to "benign hegemony" and "A New American Century."

Richard Nixon recognized the perils of such grandiose visions. For U.S. foreign policy, the key word was not "and" but "or," and the key question was not "how" but "why." Democrats and Republicans could do worse than reflect on Nixon's remarks 40 years ago.

For a guy who came to accept that America was in decline as a great power in the early 70s stuck with that view for the rest of his life, he had an odd way of showing it.

QuoteWe now live in a world in which the United States is the only superpower.  We must recast our foreign policy to cope with this radically new situation.  For many on the American left and right, the knee-jerk response to the decline of the Soviet Union as a credible superpower is to withdraw to a new isolationism.  But in fact American world leadership will be indispensable in the coming decades.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4133 on: July 08, 2011, 09:31:11 AM »
DPD.

There's also an entire Chapter in "Beyond Peace" called "Asia and the New American Century"

So yeah, the NYT article is right.  He never talked about a "new American Century" or referred to America as "indispensable" or the "only superpower" except for all the times that he said those things.

Have you ever even read anything Nixon wrote, Gil?  I think you're a Nixon fan poser.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4134 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4135 on: July 08, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 08, 2011, 11:42:26 AM
Some ugly, ugly numbers and charts here

http://www.newdeal20.org/2011/07/08/the-july-jobs-numbers-there-is-no-silver-lining-51067/

Damn, if the Bush tax cuts were extended and government jobs were cut, this never would of happened.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4139 on: July 17, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 08, 2011, 12:10:49 AM
Quote from: CT III on July 07, 2011, 06:10:16 PM

Racist.

Intrepid Reader: Wheezer

Something something something orthopaedic shoes.

And public child-whipping. Don't forget that.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!