News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,912 )

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #4395 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 27, 2011, 10:10:13 PM
Brace yourselves, and synchronize your pedometers.

QuoteHOWEVER, if you count the fingers on your hands in unary arithmetic - no zeros - then 10 fingers, in unary mathematics, = 11111111111 - EXACTLY 11 ONES

QuoteThe second is that Brian Greene has 11 letters in his name.
Is it wrong that I initially read this as "Brian Griese" and wondered what Uri Geller had to say about future Hall of Fame Quarterbacks?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4396 on: October 28, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »
DPD.  I thought this article (and the one it references from yesterday) was excellent.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4397 on: October 28, 2011, 09:01:42 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 27, 2011, 07:01:00 PM
An actual small business owner discusses the NLRB's actions of late: http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/labor/189879-small-business-owner-questions-fury-over-nlrb

QuoteAs a small business owner, I have an odd experience nearly every time I open a newspaper. Day after day, pundits and politicians — most of whom have no actual experience running a business — rattle off talking points on what I supposedly need. It's strange. Even though I've never hired a K Street consultant, there's an army of them ready to speak for me.

QuoteI run a sheet metal company in Sterling, Va., where we fabricate and install sheet metal duct work for ventilation, air conditioning, and heating systems. My workers are an integral part of my business and an important asset to its success. They are my business partners, not a line item on my accounting forms.

My employees are members of the Sheet Metal Workers' International Association Local Union 100 and collective bargaining helps us work together.

QuoteReviewing the NLRB's decisions this summer, I fail to see a single action that will negatively impact my business. I have strained to see how informing workers of their right to form a union or modernizing the outdated union election process will hurt my business. The connection simply isn't there. These seemingly minor changes certainly do not create uncertainty for me and they will not affect my ability to create jobs. In fact, if the NLRB standardizes the election process, it seems to me that this will reduce uncertainty and turmoil in the workplace — especially for small businesses.

Clearly this small business owner was strong-armed by his pro-union workforce into saying nice things about that crazy labor board going after American businesses with the strength of a budget that is roughly equivalent to what the Defense Department spends on post-its.

Or maybe there's a bit more than meets the eye.

QuoteI represent management in labor matters and can read between the lines of Mr. West's testimony.

Willie West owns a company that operates in the construction industry. The construction industry works a little differently from the rest of the private sector.

In the construction industry, all unionized companies sign onto the same contract - that keeps wages and other terms and conditions of employment equal. These companies are then awarded contracts to work on prevailing wage projects (projects where government money is used). In the past 5 years, prevailing wage jobs dominated the construction industry as privately funded construction projects virtually dried up due to the economy and difficulty in securing private loans.

Mr. West forgot to mention in his testimony that he was in the union for 10 years before starting his own company, and he still carries a Sheetmetal Union card.

The downside of being signatory to the area standards contracts is that current underfunded pension withdrawal liability will preclude West Sheet Metal from ever withdrawing from the union. The withdrawal liability check will likely be cost prohibitive. Further, as Mr. West approaches retirement age and contemplates selling the company, that withdrawal liability debt is a number that comes right off the top of the sale price.

Another thing West mentioned is that he wanted guild workers as the guild provides extra training he's unable to provide. So in this case, you have two sides voluntarily exchanging in a transaction. Union workers provide a perceived premium which the business owner is happy to pay for.  But what if the employer says, "Fuck that, I don't see the benefit in having unionized employees as plenty of other jobless out there are happy to work for the same or less and provide more or the same value?" Shouldn't he have the right to make that call?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4398 on: October 28, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 28, 2011, 09:01:42 AM
But what if the employer says, "Fuck that, I don't see the benefit in having unionized employees as plenty of other jobless out there are happy to work for the same or less and provide more or the same value?" Shouldn't he have the right to make that call?

What does this have to do with informing workers of their existing rights under the law?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4399 on: October 28, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
An actual small business owner discusses the NLRB's actions of late: http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/labor/189879-small-business-owner-questions-fury-over-nlrb

QuoteAs a small business owner, I have an odd experience nearly every time I open a newspaper. Day after day, pundits and politicians — most of whom have no actual experience running a business — rattle off talking points on what I supposedly need. It's strange. Even though I've never hired a K Street consultant, there's an army of them ready to speak for me.

QuoteI run a sheet metal company in Sterling, Va., where we fabricate and install sheet metal duct work for ventilation, air conditioning, and heating systems. My workers are an integral part of my business and an important asset to its success. They are my business partners, not a line item on my accounting forms.

My employees are members of the Sheet Metal Workers' International Association Local Union 100 and collective bargaining helps us work together.

QuoteReviewing the NLRB's decisions this summer, I fail to see a single action that will negatively impact my business. I have strained to see how informing workers of their right to form a union or modernizing the outdated union election process will hurt my business. The connection simply isn't there. These seemingly minor changes certainly do not create uncertainty for me and they will not affect my ability to create jobs. In fact, if the NLRB standardizes the election process, it seems to me that this will reduce uncertainty and turmoil in the workplace — especially for small businesses.

Clearly this small business owner was strong-armed by his pro-union workforce into saying nice things about that crazy labor board going after American businesses with the strength of a budget that is roughly equivalent to what the Defense Department spends on post-its.

QuoteI represent management in labor matters and can read between the lines of Mr. West's testimony.

Willie West owns a company that operates in the construction industry. The construction industry works a little differently from the rest of the private sector.

In the construction industry, all unionized companies sign onto the same contract - that keeps wages and other terms and conditions of employment equal. These companies are then awarded contracts to work on prevailing wage projects (projects where government money is used). In the past 5 years, prevailing wage jobs dominated the construction industry as privately funded construction projects virtually dried up due to the economy and difficulty in securing private loans.

Mr. West forgot to mention in his testimony that he was in the union for 10 years before starting his own company, and he still carries a Sheetmetal Union card.

The downside of being signatory to the area standards contracts is that current underfunded pension withdrawal liability will preclude West Sheet Metal from ever withdrawing from the union. The withdrawal liability check will likely be cost prohibitive. Further, as Mr. West approaches retirement age and contemplates selling the company, that withdrawal liability debt is a number that comes right off the top of the sale price.

Another thing West mentioned is that he wanted guild workers as the guild provides extra training he's unable to provide. So in this case, you have two sides voluntarily exchanging in a transaction. Union workers provide a perceived premium which the business owner is happy to pay for.  But what if the employer says, "Fuck that, I don't see the benefit in having unionized employees as plenty of other jobless out there are happy to work for the same or less and provide more or the same value?" Shouldn't he have the right to make that call?

No one in my agency contends that an employer has to hire union employees.  It's another myth that we are out to force unionism on small businesses out there.  The employer in the instant case does not *have* to sign the area standards contract, nor does he have to use a unionized workforce, that is unless his employees wish to join a union.

If you were trying to turn this into a Boeing argument, rather than the notice posting and Board orders issued in the past year - as was the OP's thesis, then I'd be happy to provide you with over fifty years of case law and precedent illustrating the theory behind the Boeing case.

A case, by the way, that no one from the White House or the DNC or anything else Democratic ever saw before complaint issued.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4400 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »

DPD, but does the fact that this small business owner happen to work well with unions and may have been a member of a union before mitigate his opinion on these matters as a small business owner?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4401 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 28, 2011, 10:02:00 AM
DPD, but does the fact that this small business owner happen to work well with unions and may have been a member of a union before mitigate his opinion on these matters as a small business owner?

Clearly it makes him a Communist.

And the next Red I trust will be the first.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4402 on: October 28, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 28, 2011, 10:02:00 AM

No, but it does mitigate the supposed credibility he has as a "small business owner." Unions in and of themselves are not a negative thing. They can be a positive thing, as he showed. I can bring in 10 small business owners to say that unionization would cause him or her to close the doors.

As for employers needing to tell employees their rights, why not make it a requirement for EVERYONE transacting ANYTHING to inform the other of their rights at all times? That should solve everything. It will for sure create work that creates value!

As for the Boeing argument, fine. If the law says that, then the law's an ass.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4403 on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 28, 2011, 11:59:16 AM
As for employers needing to tell employees their rights, why not make it a requirement for EVERYONE transacting ANYTHING to inform the other of their rights at all times? That should solve everything. It will for sure create work that creates value!

I still feel like I've never been told what exactly is so onerous about being required to display an 11x17 poster on a wall.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4404 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 28, 2011, 12:34:32 PM
Quote from: Brownie on October 28, 2011, 11:59:16 AM

I still feel like I've never been told what exactly is so onerous about being required to display an 11x17 poster on a wall.

Rules about posters are a slippery slope, my friend. Before you know it I'd be forced to put a David Freese poster up on my bedroom wall.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4405 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »

No, but it does mitigate the supposed credibility he has as a "small business owner." Unions in and of themselves are not a negative thing. They can be a positive thing, as he showed. I can bring in 10 small business owners to say that unionization would cause him or her to close the doors.

As for the Boeing argument, fine. If the law says that, then the law's an ass.

Several transactions done on a day-to-day basis, especially in the great socialist paradise that is the state of Illinois, have notices to customers informing them about their rights and responsibilities under the law.  I believe gas stations contain notices about the product that one is buying, stores have notices from the dept. of agriculture on weights and measures, etc.

However, I think that the workplace is a very specific type of arrangement, uniquely distinguishable from the above-referenced.  Employees derive much of - if not all - of their economic and, indeed, personal livelihood from the money they earn by virtue of being employed.  Many employees are loathe to do anything to disrupt such an arrangement, especially in the current economic climate.  I would think that some things that, from an employees' perspective, would potentially endanger that relationship are an employee asking about their rights from the manager, a group of employees protesting about working conditions, etc.

I just don't know why the NLRA is so different from other federal labor statutes (including the FLSA which doesn't even contain a notice posting rule, but is posted nevertheless) in that citizens cannot learn about their rights at the very place where they are free to exercise them?  I understand they can learn about them on the internet, but an official posting from the government at the place of work carries much more significance than someone going to Google and finding out.  It even mitigates a potential bad-apple manager or supervisor from saying to an employee who looked something up online that such-and-such action is against the law when in reality it is.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4406 on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »
Speaking as a Union lawyer I can tell you that the NLRB is by and large a conservative, employer oriented agency that has historically done organized labor more harm than good.  As for the posting requirement, think of it as a half-assed effort to remedy years of many employers' (not all) efforts to mislead employees with regard to their rights.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4408 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on October 31, 2011, 08:54:25 AM
I see what you mean.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2055191/Scientists-said-climate-change-sceptics-proved-wrong-accused-hiding-truth-colleague.html

QuoteProf Judith Curry, who chairs the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at America's prestigious Georgia Institute of Technology, said that Prof Muller's claim that he has proven global warming sceptics wrong was also a 'huge mistake', with no  scientific basis.

What bug is up her ass?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4409 on: October 31, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 31, 2011, 08:57:02 AM
Quote from: morpheus on October 31, 2011, 08:54:25 AM
I see what you mean.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2055191/Scientists-said-climate-change-sceptics-proved-wrong-accused-hiding-truth-colleague.html

QuoteProf Judith Curry, who chairs the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at America's prestigious Georgia Institute of Technology, said that Prof Muller's claim that he has proven global warming sceptics wrong was also a 'huge mistake', with no  scientific basis.

What bug is up her ass?

Probably one of those new fangled enemas paid for with Exxon petro-dollars.