News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck its silent in here.......  ( 607,897 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck its silent in here.......
« Reply #5385 on: October 23, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 23, 2012, 11:07:04 AM
I was shocked to learn last night that Iran would use Syria as its access to the sea.

Yes, yes, I'm sure the Governor meant to say "Mediterranean."

I must have missed that.

Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5386 on: October 23, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 23, 2012, 11:31:05 AM
I was shocked to learn last night that Iran would use Syria as its access to the sea.

I must have missed that.

I didn't miss that either.

This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5387 on: October 23, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 23, 2012, 11:35:59 AM

I must have missed that.

Not to be a total Bort, but why on earth would anyone DVR the deba--

Oh wait. You're Gil. Carry on.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5388 on: October 23, 2012, 11:51:04 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 23, 2012, 11:47:45 AM

I must have missed that.

Based on twitter, Gil DVR'd the Bears game and watched the debate live, because he is the worst person in the world.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5389 on: October 23, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2012, 11:51:04 AM

I must have missed that.

Based on twitter, Gil DVR'd the Bears game and watched the debate live, because he is the worst person in the world.

Gil DVR'd the Bears game and watched the debate live AND DVR'd the debate.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5390 on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
Quote from: flannj on October 23, 2012, 11:57:17 AM

I must have missed that.

Gil is going to keep the debate on his DVR until his deluxe debate Blu-Ray box set with exclusive commentary by Andrew Sullivan arrives.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5391 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 23, 2012, 11:59:59 AM
Quote from: flannj on October 23, 2012, 11:57:17 AM

I must have missed that.

Gil is going to keep the debate on his DVR until his deluxe debate Blu-Ray box set with exclusive commentary by Andrew Sullivan arrives.

That made me actually spit out my Coke now.  Damn you all!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5392 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »
Nice try, Morph...

http://twitter.com/justinwolfers/status/260755924493418496

QuoteFrom 9:57-10:03 this morning, someone pushed the Romney's Intrade stock from 41 to 48. Total outlay was $17.8k, and they overpaid by $1250.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/10/should-presidential-campaigns-spend-more-money-manipulating-intrade/264000/

QuoteDT: What just happened?

JW: At around 9:57am this morning, I noticed something funny happening on InTrade: Obama's stock was tanking, and this was happening in the absence of any concrete political news. Barnard College's Rajiv Sethi alerted me over Twitter that this was really due to some unusual trades in the Romney stock (which then ultimately affect Obama).

In the chart below, you can see this very clearly: Romney's stock shot up from 41 to 48 in a matter of minutes (suggesting that his chances of winning the election had risen from 41% to 48%).

To be clear: We don't know what caused this. It may have been an attempt at manipulating the market. It may also have been a trader with fat fingers making a mistake. But the fact that the uptick took several minutes, rather than occurring instantly, suggests that perhaps it wasn't fat fingers. It still may have been some other form of naive trading. Remember: When you're buying a stock, you want to minimize the extent to which you bid the price up, because that only makes it more expensive for you. These trade did the opposite. It's hard to think of a way of having a more immediate impact on the price.

How much might this sort of manipulation have cost?

The total quantity of Romney stock traded between 9:57 and 10:03 was around $17,800. But that's not the "cost" of this manipulation (if that's what it was), because the buyer got stock in return. If we value that stock at 41 (rather than the higher price he paid), the net cost of this manipulation/error was about $1,250.

What did the trader get in return?

About six minutes where Romney's stock rose sharply. Notice though that the effect disappeared very quickly. The Obama Flash Crash disappeared nearly as quickly as it appeared.

Two conclusions follow. First, you can manipulate prediction markets fairly easily. But second, you won't get much bang for your buck.

Considering the attention Intrade prices get in media, is is possible that sustained Intrade manipulation would be a relatively smart use of campaign money?

My guess is that a campaign would have been better off with another $1250 spent on get-out-the-vote efforts than on the six minutes of a higher stock price that Romney got this morning.

But that doesn't say much. There are surely more subtle, and hence less expensive ways of manipulating political prediction markets. And there are times when it will likely also yield some useful publicity -- something that a short-term blip at 10am on a Tuesday won't do.

There are several scholars right now looking at manipulation of political prediction markets. They tell me that they have some circumstantial evidence that InTrade has been the subject of several manipulation attempts, but I'm yet to see their work, so I'm not sure how seriously to take it.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5393 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:18 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 23, 2012, 10:50:28 PM
Nice try, Morph...

QuoteFrom 9:57-10:03 this morning, someone pushed the Romney's Intrade stock from 41 to 48. Total outlay was $17.8k, and they overpaid by $1250.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/10/should-presidential-campaigns-spend-more-money-manipulating-intrade/264000/

JW: At around 9:57am this morning, I noticed something funny happening on InTrade: Obama's stock was tanking, and this was happening in the absence of any concrete political news. Barnard College's Rajiv Sethi alerted me over Twitter that this was really due to some unusual trades in the Romney stock (which then ultimately affect Obama).

In the chart below, you can see this very clearly: Romney's stock shot up from 41 to 48 in a matter of minutes (suggesting that his chances of winning the election had risen from 41% to 48%).

To be clear: We don't know what caused this. It may have been an attempt at manipulating the market. It may also have been a trader with fat fingers making a mistake. But the fact that the uptick took several minutes, rather than occurring instantly, suggests that perhaps it wasn't fat fingers. It still may have been some other form of naive trading. Remember: When you're buying a stock, you want to minimize the extent to which you bid the price up, because that only makes it more expensive for you. These trade did the opposite. It's hard to think of a way of having a more immediate impact on the price.

The total quantity of Romney stock traded between 9:57 and 10:03 was around $17,800. But that's not the "cost" of this manipulation (if that's what it was), because the buyer got stock in return. If we value that stock at 41 (rather than the higher price he paid), the net cost of this manipulation/error was about $1,250.

About six minutes where Romney's stock rose sharply. Notice though that the effect disappeared very quickly. The Obama Flash Crash disappeared nearly as quickly as it appeared.

Two conclusions follow. First, you can manipulate prediction markets fairly easily. But second, you won't get much bang for your buck.

Considering the attention Intrade prices get in media, is is possible that sustained Intrade manipulation would be a relatively smart use of campaign money?

My guess is that a campaign would have been better off with another $1250 spent on get-out-the-vote efforts than on the six minutes of a higher stock price that Romney got this morning.

But that doesn't say much. There are surely more subtle, and hence less expensive ways of manipulating political prediction markets. And there are times when it will likely also yield some useful publicity -- something that a short-term blip at 10am on a Tuesday won't do.

There are several scholars right now looking at manipulation of political prediction markets. They tell me that they have some circumstantial evidence that InTrade has been the subject of several manipulation attempts, but I'm yet to see their work, so I'm not sure how seriously to take it.

Zerohedge had a different take.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5394 on: October 24, 2012, 12:05:29 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on October 23, 2012, 11:07:18 PM
Nice try, Morph...

What does Orly Taitz have to say?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5395 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »
Nice try, Morph...

Sure.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5396 on: October 24, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 24, 2012, 12:05:29 AM
Nice try, Morph...

Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5398 on: October 24, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on October 24, 2012, 08:41:07 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on October 24, 2012, 12:05:29 AM
Nice try, Morph...

Perfect

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5399 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 29, 2011, 06:05:35 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 28, 2011, 04:55:43 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/03/24/donald-trump-wants-to-see-barack-obama-s-long-form-birth-certificate.aspx

QuoteLater, he doubts the two 1961 newspaper clippings announcing the birth of Obama, because he's "seen fraud" before -- a rationale that I could use to develop a theory that "Donald Trump" is actually a PCP-addicted gardener, on the run from the Federales for a crime he didn't commit, who kidnapped the real Donald Trump in 2004 and stole his identity.

I used to actually not hate teh Donald, but his ditching of any sensible moderation in favor of the right wing's lowest common denominator is as transparent and cynical as it is wrong.  Fuck this ruh-tard and his dumbass wig.

Very big anticipatory bump for Trump's very big game-changing announcement that the media is going to cover in a very big fashion and that could possibly change the course of this race in a very, very big way.