News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,837 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #495 on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
DPD.  Apparently this is a Marinelli Will Fix Him situation:

QuoteAdams, the fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft, had been a disappointment in his first two seasons under coach Jon Gruden. He was supposed to get a fresh start under coach Raheem Morris. Defensive coordinator Jim Bates spent much of the offseason working on pass-rush moves with the defensive end.

But Adams had one sack and 10 tackles in Tampa Bay's first three games. That apparently caused the Bucs to give up on Adams as they go through a rebuilding process. Adams had six sacks as a rookie and 6 1/2 last year.

Adding the draft pick from Chicago puts the Bucs back in next year's second round. They gave up their own second-round pick in a trade with Cleveland for tight end Kellen Winslow.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:42 PM »
Seems bizarre that the Bucs would give up on the fourth overall pick after just two years.  I know he's been a little disappointing, but it doesn't seem like he's been a disaster.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: October 16, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 15, 2009, 11:09:17 AMDo NFL teams in general ever make significant in-season moves? Trades are rare enough in this league, let alone ones that take place during the season (the Braylon trade is the only one that comes to mind). My guess is that Hub was either talking out of his fistula as usual, or we'll see a sign or trade on par with the fabled Matt Toeina acquisition.

Dumbass.

I guess you can look at it as the Bears using their 2nd round pick to draft Wale's replacement. Works for me. From a purely selfish standpoint, the draft is going to suck next year. Nothing until the 3rd round. Old scouting report from when he was drafted:

QuoteStrengths:
Gaines Adams is an elite athlete at the defensive end position. He ran the quickest 40 yard dash of any defensive end at the scouting combine and is the most agile of all defensive end prospects. Adams excels as a speed rusher, with a quick first step and a variety of moves at his disposal. Adams has solid technique and uses his athleticism to knock down passes and chase down running backs.

Weaknesses:
Adams needs to add muscle and improve his strength to avoid being targeted in the running game. Strong, athletic tackles will be able to neutralize his speed and use their size to prevent him from disengaging. At times, Adams can get too high which allows even average tackles to get into his body and knock him off balance. Adams is not as consistent as he should be for his level of athleticism, which may be because he sometimes takes plays off as he gets frustrated.

Overall:
Gaines Adams is the best pure pass rushing defensive end in the draft, with the level of quickness and agility the teams have placed a premier on in recent years. Adams is similar to Colts DE Dwight Freeney, though not as quick. Adams will make big plays on occasion, but he may struggle against premier offensive lineman who are able to use superior technique and strength against him.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 16, 2009, 08:14:05 PM
Quote... At times, Adams can get too high...

And how!
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on October 16, 2009, 08:33:49 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 16, 2009, 08:14:05 PM
Quote... At times, Adams can get too high...

And how!

(insert something about Geovany Soto)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »
Nice move.  Adams just needs somebody to give him a little kick in the ass.  Not a bad pick up with a second round pick.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2009, 11:03:06 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 16, 2009, 08:04:42 PM
Seems bizarre that the Bucs would give up on the fourth overall pick after just two years.  I know he's been a little disappointing, but it doesn't seem like he's been a disaster.

Leave Cedric out of this.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: October 17, 2009, 12:43:54 AM »
I don't know about this. Marinelli's been great so far, so I have confidence he could improve Gaines, but I'd like to see some safety help come from somewhere. If Gaines taps into his potential its worth it. If he doesn't it's not. This could go either way. We'll see how it plays out. I'm going to ahead and boldly state that I think this might have been a good trade, but it could also have been a bad one.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #503 on: October 17, 2009, 01:13:02 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 17, 2009, 12:43:54 AM
I don't know about this. Marinelli's been great so far, so I have confidence he could improve Gaines, but I'd like to see some safety help come from somewhere. If Gaines taps into his potential its worth it. If he doesn't it's not. This could go either way. We'll see how it plays out. I'm going to ahead and boldly state that I think this might have been a good trade, but it could also have been a bad one.

Damn it. I had already typed up 90 percent of this post before getting to Desipio this morning.

Shit, now I don't have anything to say.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:43 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 16, 2009, 11:03:06 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 16, 2009, 08:04:42 PM

Leave Cedric out of this.

Fair enough. But Cedric had three years to prove what an unworthy douche he could turn into. Ran out of a paper and got himself moto in Cincy. Wait til he inks that new deal though.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: October 17, 2009, 07:29:47 AM »
Quote from: BC on October 17, 2009, 01:13:02 AM

Damn it. I had already typed up 90 percent of this post before getting to Desipio this morning.

Nice, BC. Don't forget to rest on your laurels now.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: October 17, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »

You owe SKO an apology. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: October 17, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on October 17, 2009, 09:22:42 AM

You owe SKO an apology.  

For the record, my more decisive, evil alter ego thinks this was a smart deal. 6 sacks in each of the last two years isn't terrible for a developing player with that much speed and talent. The improvement in the Bears line this year has been outstanding, but  Marinelli's track record for this stuff is pretty good. Simeon Rice averaged 10 sacks a year in Arizona (which is Good), but then upped that to 13.5 a year in his time under Rod in Tampa. Small sample size, but Warren Sapp had 3.0 sacks as a rookie without Marinelli, then had 9.0 the next year with him, and averaged 9.25 sacks a year under Rod (which is really good for a DT). I think Marinelli will work wonders on him and so far he's gotten a rise out of Mark Anderson as well. With those two the Bears could let both Brown and Ogunleye go in free agency and not experience too much of a drop off on the line. I approve.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: October 18, 2009, 08:35:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 17, 2009, 11:56:28 AM
Quote from: Ivy6 on October 17, 2009, 09:22:42 AM

You owe SKO an apology.  

For the record, my more decisive, evil alter ego thinks this was a smart deal. 6 sacks in each of the last two years isn't terrible for a developing player with that much speed and talent. The improvement in the Bears line this year has been outstanding, but  Marinelli's track record for this stuff is pretty good. Simeon Rice averaged 10 sacks a year in Arizona (which is Good), but then upped that to 13.5 a year in his time under Rod in Tampa. Small sample size, but Warren Sapp had 3.0 sacks as a rookie without Marinelli, then had 9.0 the next year with him, and averaged 9.25 sacks a year under Rod (which is really good for a DT). I think Marinelli will work wonders on him and so far he's gotten a rise out of Mark Anderson as well. With those two the Bears could let both Brown and Ogunleye go in free agency and not experience too much of a drop off on the line. I approve.

This.

It's a great pick up.  I don't expect Ogunleye to go anywhere though.  I think he'll sign here for cheaper.  All in all, really good pick up for just a second round pick.  We're better off without draft picks anyway since they usually suck.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: October 18, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »
Hey, why's Chicago playing in Atlanta again? It seems a little wrong that they play here 2 years in a row. You'd think they'd schedule this game in Chicago, right?