News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion  ( 56,972 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion
« Reply #360 on: November 26, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 25, 2014, 06:19:10 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 25, 2014, 11:30:53 AM
The most amazing thing to me about how poor a job Marc Trestman has done is that he's been a head coach before.  Yes, the CFL is different, but is it THAT different?  Don't the people skills it takes to manage CFL players pretty similar to managing NFL players?  Are the players in the NFL that much more of divas than the guys in the CFL?  Marc's apparent inability to manage a locker room makes it appear he's never been around pro football players.

Very surprising to me.

I'm...with Chuck?...on this one.

I honestly felt the hiring of Trestman was inspired at the time, and the stint in Canada would've filled some sort of "leadership credbility" gap which, when wedded to his skills as an offensive innovator, meant he came across the Bears at the right time, but obviously this hasn't been the case.

SKO--I never want to hear about Canadia football again.

For the record, my occasional "bored as hell in the summer" viewing of the CFL did not mean I bought that Trestman's head coaching experience there meant much for down here. He was going to sink or swim based on his offensive scheme, which last year seemed not only effective but based on sound, fundamental principles. This year I see him way too scared to run his bread and butter plays (and this includes running Forte early and often, not just letting Jay throw it downfield) and relying instead on constraint plays. There've been plenty of hopeless WR screens, quick hits, and various other plays that rely on an abundance of YAC. Those really only work when you have a defense that is cheating by playing back off of  the ball to prevent deep passes. If you're not threatening people deep you can't move the ball against them in the short passing game. Trestman's just lost his edge. It's sadly not that unusual, apparently, as the biggest knocks I heard about him when he was hired were that he overthinks things and that he had a tendency as an OC to freeze up in big moments.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: November 26, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 26, 2014, 08:22:09 AM
The most amazing thing to me about how poor a job Marc Trestman has done is that he's been a head coach before.  Yes, the CFL is different, but is it THAT different?  Don't the people skills it takes to manage CFL players pretty similar to managing NFL players?  Are the players in the NFL that much more of divas than the guys in the CFL?  Marc's apparent inability to manage a locker room makes it appear he's never been around pro football players.

Very surprising to me.

I honestly felt the hiring of Trestman was inspired at the time, and the stint in Canada would've filled some sort of "leadership credbility" gap which, when wedded to his skills as an offensive innovator, meant he came across the Bears at the right time, but obviously this hasn't been the case.

For the record, my occasional "bored as hell in the summer" viewing of the CFL did not mean I bought that Trestman's head coaching experience there meant much for down here. He was going to sink or swim based on his offensive scheme, which last year seemed not only effective but based on sound, fundamental principles. This year I see him way too scared to run his bread and butter plays (and this includes running Forte early and often, not just letting Jay throw it downfield) and relying instead on constraint plays. There've been plenty of hopeless WR screens, quick hits, and various other plays that rely on an abundance of YAC. Those really only work when you have a defense that is cheating by playing back off of  the ball to prevent deep passes. If you're not threatening people deep you can't move the ball against them in the short passing game. Trestman's just lost his edge. It's sadly not that unusual, apparently, as the biggest knocks I heard about him when he was hired were that he overthinks things and that he had a tendency as an OC to freeze up in big moments.

It kind of has the sound of Gary Crowton to me.  Maybe.  Seems the NFL has figured him out?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: November 26, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 26, 2014, 11:53:25 AM

Very surprising to me.

It kind of has the sound of Gary Crowton to me.  Maybe.  Seems the NFL has figured him out?

It does look very Crowton 2000-esque this year, but that's what threw me to begin with. Trestman last year didn't really run anything gimmicky (unless you consider packaged plays gimmicky, which I don't, and they've been noticeably absent this year despite being very successful last year). Mostly just straight-forward, drop back and pass West Coast stuff, and the zone blocking scheme Kromer introduced really made them look great in the run game. He did some innovative stuff to get guys open downfield but still, nothing gimmicky. This year he's been a lot more about trying to steal "easy yards" that just aren't there than just, say, playing 11 on 11 and picking a man.

Crowton in 1999 took the NFL by storm by introducing the WR screen and stuff, but once teams figured out his teams couldn't beat you deep if you just sat on those, he was fucked. Trestman beat a bunch of teams deep and now has seemingly abandoned it in lieu of trying Crowton-level bullshit at times.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: November 26, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 26, 2014, 12:17:00 PM

Very surprising to me.

It does look very Crowton 2000-esque this year, but that's what threw me to begin with. Trestman last year didn't really run anything gimmicky (unless you consider packaged plays gimmicky, which I don't, and they've been noticeably absent this year despite being very successful last year). Mostly just straight-forward, drop back and pass West Coast stuff, and the zone blocking scheme Kromer introduced really made them look great in the run game. He did some innovative stuff to get guys open downfield but still, nothing gimmicky. This year he's been a lot more about trying to steal "easy yards" that just aren't there than just, say, playing 11 on 11 and picking a man.

Crowton in 1999 took the NFL by storm by introducing the WR screen and stuff, but once teams figured out his teams couldn't beat you deep if you just sat on those, he was fucked. Trestman beat a bunch of teams deep and now has seemingly abandoned it in lieu of trying Crowton-level bullshit at times.

Fuck you, Pen, I'm posting again.

but basically, the thing that pisses me off about the NFL "figuring Trestman out" is that it implies that last year he tried a bunch of sneaky shit and got away with it when really he didn't. Most of his scheme was just basic fundamentals using the size of his receivers to take advantage of matchups downfield. This year he seems reluctant to ever use Alshon or Brandon like the man-monsters they were last year. I can't remember the last back-shoulder throw. Hell I can't remember the last goddamn slant route.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: November 26, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 26, 2014, 12:24:22 PM
The most amazing thing to me about how poor a job Marc Trestman has done is that he's been a head coach before.  Yes, the CFL is different, but is it THAT different?  Don't the people skills it takes to manage CFL players pretty similar to managing NFL players?  Are the players in the NFL that much more of divas than the guys in the CFL?  Marc's apparent inability to manage a locker room makes it appear he's never been around pro football players.

Very surprising to me.

For the record, my occasional "bored as hell in the summer" viewing of the CFL did not mean I bought that Trestman's head coaching experience there meant much for down here. He was going to sink or swim based on his offensive scheme, which last year seemed not only effective but based on sound, fundamental principles. This year I see him way too scared to run his bread and butter plays (and this includes running Forte early and often, not just letting Jay throw it downfield) and relying instead on constraint plays. There've been plenty of hopeless WR screens, quick hits, and various other plays that rely on an abundance of YAC. Those really only work when you have a defense that is cheating by playing back off of  the ball to prevent deep passes. If you're not threatening people deep you can't move the ball against them in the short passing game. Trestman's just lost his edge. It's sadly not that unusual, apparently, as the biggest knocks I heard about him when he was hired were that he overthinks things and that he had a tendency as an OC to freeze up in big moments.

It kind of has the sound of Gary Crowton to me.  Maybe.  Seems the NFL has figured him out?

but basically, the thing that pisses me off about the NFL "figuring Trestman out" is that it implies that last year he tried a bunch of sneaky shit and got away with it when really he didn't. Most of his scheme was just basic fundamentals using the size of his receivers to take advantage of matchups downfield. This year he seems reluctant to ever use Alshon or Brandon like the man-monsters they were last year. I can't remember the last back-shoulder throw. Hell I can't remember the last goddamn slant route.

I wonder if Marshall's ankles and Bennett's ribs are robbing them of some of those options. I mean, maybe guys aren't open and Jay's checking down and they stop calling some of the deeper routes.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: November 26, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on November 26, 2014, 12:59:52 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 26, 2014, 12:24:22 PM
The most amazing thing to me about how poor a job Marc Trestman has done is that he's been a head coach before.  Yes, the CFL is different, but is it THAT different?  Don't the people skills it takes to manage CFL players pretty similar to managing NFL players?  Are the players in the NFL that much more of divas than the guys in the CFL?  Marc's apparent inability to manage a locker room makes it appear he's never been around pro football players.

Very surprising to me.

For the record, my occasional "bored as hell in the summer" viewing of the CFL did not mean I bought that Trestman's head coaching experience there meant much for down here. He was going to sink or swim based on his offensive scheme, which last year seemed not only effective but based on sound, fundamental principles. This year I see him way too scared to run his bread and butter plays (and this includes running Forte early and often, not just letting Jay throw it downfield) and relying instead on constraint plays. There've been plenty of hopeless WR screens, quick hits, and various other plays that rely on an abundance of YAC. Those really only work when you have a defense that is cheating by playing back off of  the ball to prevent deep passes. If you're not threatening people deep you can't move the ball against them in the short passing game. Trestman's just lost his edge. It's sadly not that unusual, apparently, as the biggest knocks I heard about him when he was hired were that he overthinks things and that he had a tendency as an OC to freeze up in big moments.

It kind of has the sound of Gary Crowton to me.  Maybe.  Seems the NFL has figured him out?

I wonder if Marshall's ankles and Bennett's ribs are robbing them of some of those options. I mean, maybe guys aren't open and Jay's checking down and they stop calling some of the deeper routes.

That's possible, I suppose. Certainly those guys haven't been who they were last year, that's for sure. It just seems like even if they're going with the short stuff the stuff they are going with is bad. Almost everything involves receivers turning and facing the QB. That's an easy stop for the defense. Not much as far as deep ins or slants or anything designed to hit a moving target.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: November 26, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
A turnover or two in the Buffalo and Carolina games have cost the team two wins. If they were 7-4, we'd be looking at a winnable game on Thanksgiving and hoping for solid playoff positioning for the stretch run. But the reality is that those two Green Bay games and the New England game happened. Which means even that scenario would be bogus. The Bears are awful. And I hate them.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: November 27, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
Marc Trestman may be thankful for screen passes, but I'm not.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: November 28, 2014, 04:42:07 AM »
I can't wait till 2015 we have mike singletary is our coach and jameis is our QB

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: December 02, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: December 02, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 02, 2014, 03:38:10 PM
done

Fire everybody and then draft defenders who can do their jobs well. Short and to the point. I like that.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: December 02, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 02, 2014, 04:02:36 PM
done

Fire everybody and then draft defenders who can do their jobs well. Short and to the point. I like that.

And hire Rex Ryan. 

And make him and Trestman live in the same apartment and turn it into the greatest reality show in TV history.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: December 02, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2014, 05:33:25 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 02, 2014, 04:02:36 PM
done

And hire Rex Ryan. 

And make him and Trestman live in the same apartment and turn it into the greatest reality show in TV history.

There's no time to waste. We have to  save football in Chicago.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #373 on: December 03, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
Robbie Gould is out with a quad injury and the Bears have signed Jay Feely. The former New York Giant is best remembered in my household for booting the ill-fated field goal attempt that Devin Hester ran back for a record-tying long touchdown. On the way to the goal line Hester was approached by a desperate Feely who was promptly obliterated by a lead-blocking Helen Huntermeyer. They kept showing Feely on the bench as the Bears pulled away en route to a blowout victory and I remember him looking so sad and defeated - literally butthurt, having been deposited so swiftly on his can by Devin's convoy.

Picture me at my desk right now looking exactly the same way. 

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #374 on: December 03, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 03, 2014, 12:51:49 PM
Robbie Gould is out with a quad injury and the Bears have signed Jay Feely. The former New York Giant is best remembered in my household for booting the ill-fated field goal attempt that Devin Hester ran back for a record-tying long touchdown. On the way to the goal line Hester was approached by a desperate Feely who was promptly obliterated by a lead-blocking Helen Huntermeyer. They kept showing Feely on the bench as the Bears pulled away en route to a blowout victory and I remember him looking so sad and defeated - literally butthurt, having been deposited so swiftly on his can by Devin's convoy.

Picture me at my desk right now looking exactly the same way. 

Pretty brilliant casting: Dane Cook as Jay Feely.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?