News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.  ( 24,765 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »

Like I said, the funniest thing is that he probably did hold the ball too long on two or three of those. Maybe even four. So that still leaves at least FIVE SACKS IN THE FIRST HALF that weren't his fault, like that number alone isn't something to be embarassed about.
[/quote]

Holding onto the ball too long and taking four sacks is equally as embarrassing.  I don't see what you guys see in Cutler.  I don't watch him nearly as much as you guys do, but whenever I do get the chance I cringe at every play.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2010, 12:35:22 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 04, 2010, 12:32:52 PM
Quote from: Yeti on October 04, 2010, 12:27:20 PM
The only thing better than meathead fans is the guy the meatheads adore

Quote"I don't think anybody was open down field, because they had seven in coverage, but the quarterback has to get the ball out of his hands, too," Ditka said Monday on "Mike & Mike" on ESPN Radio. "He looked like he was not even aware of the pressure around him.

"That's all part of football, the quarterback has to have that little clock in his head that says 'I have to get rid of the football.' Jay Cutler didn't have it yesterday, that's for sure. "

Had he chucked it down the field people would have been bitching about his picks.[/b]

QuoteDitka said he noticed Lovie Smith's demeanor during the game, and Ditka said he would have reacted differently.

"Lovie is a low-key guy," Ditka said. "I couldn't believe ... I would have went [psycho] yesterday. I would have been ballistic. I watched him and he had complete control and composure. I guess that's good, but you have to call somebody out. The line coach or somebody had to call these guys over.

"Football to me is a game of pride. You get what you tolerate. If you tolerate the other guy beating you, that's what you're going to get. I look at it that way. This is me and you, one on one(11 on 11???). Forget the other guys. I'm going to win my battle, and if we have enough guys winning those individual battles, we'll win this football game. And that's the way you have to approach it."

Gentlemen, he's talking about toleration... BULLSHIT TOLERATION

That meathead Collinsworth was constantly saying the same thing.

Like I said, the funniest thing is that he probably did hold the ball too long on two or three of those. Maybe even four. So that still leaves at least FIVE SACKS IN THE FIRST HALF that weren't his fault, like that number alone isn't something to be embarassed about.

Cutler wasn't even the QB most worthy of being called out last night. Neither was Tom Collins or Caleb Hainie or YA Tittle. How about Eli "My brother's good, you know" Manning.  How can you only manage 17 points in a game like that?

Cutler is among the top 3 QBs in the NFC this year. And that's despite shitty receivers, a non-blocking TE (should we ask why Desmond Clark was in street clothes), a non-blocking OL, and a mediocre set of backs.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 04, 2010, 12:43:01 PM

Holding onto the ball too long and taking four sacks is equally as embarrassing.  I don't see what you guys see in Cutler.  I don't watch him nearly as much as you guys do, but whenever I do get the chance I cringe at every play.

Yeah, he should have thrown it away on four of them. Then again, no one was open either, so those would have probably been picks that, like Yeti said, they'd criticize Cutler for and say that he should have just eaten it. Cutler's got a QB rating that's .2 points lower than Drew Brees this year. I'm not saying he's that good, but fucking cringeworthy? Get bent.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
Sorry, man.  If I were a Bears fan I'm not sold on Cutler.  But, they're 3-1 and maybe this game was some strange kind of bizarro Bears alternate universe backwards day bizzaro game.  Carolina up next and they should definitely beat them.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 04, 2010, 01:04:55 PM
If I were a Bears fan I'm not sold on Cutler. 

And why's that?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 04, 2010, 01:04:55 PM
Sorry, man.  If I were a Bears fan I'm not sold on Cutler.  But, they're 3-1 and maybe this game was some strange kind of bizarro Bears alternate universe backwards day bizzaro game.  Carolina up next and they should definitely beat them.

This is what I don't get. What is there to "sell" on Cutler? Does he have to be Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady to be considered a success? He's a guy that's incredibly talented and, in 16/20 games as a Chicago Bear he's been very good (93.2 Rating). He had four God awful games. He's not a top 5 quarterback. He's very arguably top ten. He's got a 102 rating this year and is second in YPA despite being on pace for an NFL record 72 sacks. The guy's not perfect. He's not a bust, he's well above mediocre. He's better than 90% of the options out there.  So he's not elite. Fine. He's good enough to win you a championship in the NFL if you block for him, especially with a defense playing the way Chicago's is right now. You want to say he's not? Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger (say what you will now, but in 2005 the guy sucked in the Superbowl), Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, and Jim Plunkett all disagree. I'm so tired of arguing Jay Cutler vs. Platonic Ideal Quarterback.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »
Wow, I guess I should have thought about poking the hornets nest before I did it.  I didn't know his numbers were that good, but something is missing.  Why is he only 10-10?  I guess maybe this has something to do with it:

"Eight of the Giants' nine sacks of Jay Cutler in Week 4 were created by a four-man rush."

Holy shit.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 04, 2010, 01:34:26 PM
Wow, I guess I should have thought about poking the hornets nest before I did it.  I didn't know his numbers were that good, but something is missing.  Why is he only 10-10?  I guess maybe this has something to do with it:

"Eight of the Giants' nine sacks of Jay Cutler in Week 4 were created by a four-man rush."

Holy shit.

Why does Felix Hernandez only have 13 wins this year?  He *must* not be that good.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on October 04, 2010, 01:38:47 PM

Holy shit.

Why does Felix Hernandez only have 13 wins this year?  He *must* not be that good.

That was my point.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »

Holy shit.

Speaking of Felix - is it even possible to parody Joe Morgan anymore?

QuoteAll individual awards are team awards. My MVP awards were won because my team helped me. ... I think the problem I have, though, with some statistics is we start to individualize the players. I don't want that. It's still a team game. ... When you start to individualize things like that, it takes away the team concept from the game.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 04, 2010, 02:05:03 PM

Holy shit.

Speaking of Felix - is it even possible to parody Joe Morgan anymore?

QuoteAll individual awards are team awards. My MVP awards were won because my team helped me. ... I think the problem I have, though, with some statistics is we start to individualize the players. I don't want that. It's still a team game. ... When you start to individualize things like that, it takes away the team concept from the game.

Did Doug Flynn get a share of Joe Morgan's 1975 and 1976 MVP bonus?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »
Are the Bears really considering signing Juice Williams as a backup?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 04, 2010, 02:52:50 PM

Only if you consider Juice himself a reliable source.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 04, 2010, 02:52:50 PM

He attended a rookie mini-camp, so he "knows" the system. And he's got experience running for his life behind a terrible offensive line.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »

Holy shit.

Basically the Bears gave up a lot of draft picks and a well-liked game manager in Kyle Orton in order to get him. Cutler violated some kind of old school sports law by demanding a trade (even though the Broncos tried to trade him first) and thus he is reviled by most fans and media as a crybaby while I hear about how awesome it is that Michael Vick is rising above the prison sentence he earned by killing dogs. He is thus a target.

He has absolutely no protection from the line in front of him. This is not a new problem. He lead the league in interceptions last year, but almost half of those came in 3 games that have been way overblown. He's not Good Rex, Bad Rex every other week. He's Pro Bowl Quarterback 16 out of 20 games, Really Bad QB 4 of those. If he can learn to eliminate those really bad games he'll have realized his potential. He's been sacked 58 times in 20 games and has had to pull it down and run it another 53 times. Last year he was under more pressure than any quarterback in the league not named Jason Campbell. He also had the support of a defense last year that was 21st in the NFL in points allowed (and sadly, that was the lowest point total any defense that he's played with has ever surrendered).

For a guy who goes down on 15% of his dropbacks, I think he's pretty damn good. There are a few games where he's contributed more to his team's defeat than he did in it's favor (last year against Green Bay, San Francisco, and Baltimore), but there's a hell of a lot more where he is the Only reason they've won, and a hell of a lot more than that, sadly, where he's not at all the reason they lost.