News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.  ( 24,762 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »
I know what folks think about Mr. Morrissey, but his line about when Cutler stops thinking that he is Barbra Streisand is pretty damn funny.
"EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Someday, when the fog clears and he no longer believes he's Barbra Streisand, Jay Cutler can lucidly explain what it's like to be a crash-test dummy."

If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 04, 2010, 04:58:03 PM
I know what folks think about Mr. Morrissey, but his line about when Cutler stops thinking that he is Barbra Streisand is pretty damn funny.
"EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Someday, when the fog clears and he no longer believes he's Barbra Streisand, Jay Cutler can lucidly explain what it's like to be a crash-test dummy."

Yeah, brain injuries are always funny.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2010, 01:11:01 PM
He's good enough to win you a championship in the NFL if you block for him, especially with a defense playing the way Chicago's is right now. You want to say he's not? Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger (say what you will now, but in 2005 the guy sucked in the Superbowl), Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, and Jim Plunkett all disagree. I'm so tired of arguing Jay Cutler vs. Platonic Ideal Quarterback.

Cutler aside, I'm not sure I understand this point...are you pointing out guys who had bad seasons, but then won Super Bowls or guys who had bad Super Bowls and won them or just guys who only had a few good seasons?

Because the above list seems like a mix of all those things.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on October 04, 2010, 05:23:36 PM
He's good enough to win you a championship in the NFL if you block for him, especially with a defense playing the way Chicago's is right now. You want to say he's not? Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger (say what you will now, but in 2005 the guy sucked in the Superbowl), Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, and Jim Plunkett all disagree. I'm so tired of arguing Jay Cutler vs. Platonic Ideal Quarterback.

Cutler aside, I'm not sure I understand this point...are you pointing out guys who had bad seasons, but then won Super Bowls or guys who had bad Super Bowls and won them or just guys who only had a few good seasons?

I think it's a list of QBs that won Super Bowls. He left off Kurt Warner, who is presumably stocking supermarket shelves again with his lovely wife. If Cutler has to sit next week or the Bears want an insurance policy, what would it take to lure Warner out of retirement? Or does he still hate Mike Martz?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 04, 2010, 05:40:30 PM

I think it's a list of QBs that won Super Bowls. He left off Kurt Warner, who is presumably stocking supermarket shelves again with his lovely wife. If Cutler has to sit next week or the Bears want an insurance policy, what would it take to lure Warner out of retirement? Or does he still hate Mike Martz?

But they already have Todd Collins.  THE Todd Collins.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 04, 2010, 05:40:30 PM

It would probably take an assurance that he would not get concussed and/or killed.

So that's a no-go.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »

I'm saying I don't get what people don't "buy" about Jay Cutler. He's a good quarterback. Maybe not a future Hall of Famer like Manning, Brees, or Brady, but good enough when he has time to throw. There are plenty of quarterbacks who aren't HOF-Caliber who have won Superbowls. I just don't get what it is people think Cutler will "never do." Bears fans and the media seem to have some vague, undefinable "it" factor that Cutler can never attain. I guess quarterbacks that have "it" just shake off historically bad offensive lines and a complete lack of a running game and singlehandedly win games. He's certainly as good as or on par with any of those mediocrities that won Superbowls (at least Eli and Roethlisberger were pretty mediocre at the time). Clear enough?

His career QB rating and rate +, TD%, completion %, YPA, Adjusted YPA, and Net Adjusted YPA are all above average. He throws too many picks, yeah, but if he threw so many that it outweighed his good qualities than his rating and Net Adjusted YPA wouldn't be above average. There are probably only five or so quarterbacks I'd rather have than him (Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, P. Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger(if judged solely by his on field activities)). So he's not perfect. He's also really young with plenty of time to grow and the fact that he's accomplished what he has this year behind that line is nothing short of extraordinary. This whole debate boils down to People Who Think Cutler Suck for Reasons Mostly Beyond His Control vs. Strawman of Bears Fans who Think Cutler is a Straight Up Peyton Manning Clone. He's good. There are some better, but there are a hell of a lot more than that who are worse.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
What I don't think helps is he's got a very punchable face and stupid hair. It's true. I like Jay and wish him well. My point, so none of you titheads get confused, is that a lot of fans are unable to separate personality from talent. If a guy looks/acts/is a douche and struggles a little or a lot, it's very easy to pile on and turn your back on him. Even if that guy has a lot of talent.

In this case, I think the whiner tag that he came here with is going to be very difficult for Jay to shake and that's just a fact. I don't judge him by that and I know SKO doesn't. I'm just saying a lot of people do. Also, for further clarification: those people are wieners.

I don't want Jay to be cool or friendly or pose for endless photographs with sick kids. I want him to win and not die because he's on my favorite team. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed that the offensive line decided to let him get pounded like yesterday's beef.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 04, 2010, 08:02:01 PM
What I don't think helps is he's got a very punchable face and stupid hair. It's true. I like Jay and wish him well. My point, so none of you titheads get confused, is that a lot of fans are unable to separate personality from talent. If a guy looks/acts/is a douche and struggles a little or a lot, it's very easy to pile on and turn your back on him. Even if that guy has a lot of talent.

In this case, I think the whiner tag that he came here with is going to be very difficult for Jay to shake and that's just a fact. I don't judge him by that and I know SKO doesn't. I'm just saying a lot of people do. Also, for further clarification: those people are wieners.

I don't want Jay to be cool or friendly or pose for endless photographs with sick kids. I want him to win and not die because he's on my favorite team. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed that the offensive line decided to let him get pounded like yesterday's beef.

Indeed. We discussed this in the shoutbox the other day. Do I think he's probably a douche? Yes. He's dating Kristin Cavallari. He is actually friends with Greg Olsen outside of Halas Hall. I'm sure he's a douche. So are 99.9% of all professional athletes, which is only slightly above the 95.5% rate for the rest of the human population. But Jesus, that has nothing to do with what a guy does on the field. See: Vick, Michael. Roethlisberger, Ben. Taylor, Lawrence, and, worst of all: Marino, Dan.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2010, 08:10:11 PM »
Dan Marino is NFL History's Greatest Monster.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2010, 08:06:38 PM

Indeed. We discussed this in the shoutbox the other day. Do I think he's probably a douche? Yes. He's dating Kristin Cavallari. He is actually friends with Greg Olsen outside of Halas Hall. I'm sure he's a douche. So are 99.9% of all professional athletes, which is only slightly above the 95.5% rate for the rest of the human population. But Jesus, that has nothing to do with what a guy does on the field. See: Vick, Michael. Roethlisberger, Ben. Taylor, Lawrence, and, worst of all: Marino, Dan.

You're WRONG.  Those guys are just regular blue collar joes like me, and someday they'll randomly stumble into whatever bar me and my buddies are drinking in and sit down and shoot the shit with us and realize how awesome I am and maybe get me a tryout, because damn could I play in high school.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 04, 2010, 08:10:35 PM

You're WRONG.  Those guys are just regular blue collar joes like me, and someday they'll randomly stumble into whatever bar me and my buddies are drinking in and sit down and shoot the shit with us and realize how awesome I am and maybe get me a tryout, because damn could I play in high school.

The best part is that of all of the Bears, the one that's given us nothing but a wealth of evidence proving that he is an unmitigated douche is Urlacher, and he's the one that's beloved by all meatheads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2010, 08:14:42 PM

The best part is that of all of the Bears, the one that's given us nothing but a wealth of evidence proving that he is an unmitigated douche is Urlacher, and he's the one that's beloved by all meatheads.

They all want to fuck Paris Hilton, too.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »

I'm more of a mouthbreather than a meathead and I love me some Urlacher. P'Nut's my guy though. Ever since his rookie year I've been a believer. I've watched lots of interviews and stuff with him too and firmly believe that he is NOT a douche. In fact, I believe he could be the best NFL analyst of all-time someday. I hope he does. I'd DVR all his shit and just listen like a total ghey.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 04, 2010, 08:21:53 PM

I'm more of a mouthbreather than a meathead and I love me some Urlacher. P'Nut's my guy though. Ever since his rookie year I've been a believer. I've watched lots of interviews and stuff with him too and firmly believe that he is NOT a douche. In fact, I believe he could be the best NFL analyst of all-time someday. I hope he does. I'd DVR all his shit and just listen like a total ghey.

I love Urlacher too, for his on field exploits. Given that this is all I can judge him on. Peanut may not be a douche, but if he was a nice guy, I can't imagine that Al Yellon wouldn't have started a foundation for HIS sick daughter.