News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.  ( 24,764 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears Fans Are Concussed, Like Their Quarterback - 10/03/10.
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 05, 2010, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 04, 2010, 08:02:01 PMWhat I don't think helps is he's got a very punchable face and stupid hair. It's true. I like Jay and wish him well. My point, so none of you titheads get confused, is that a lot of fans are unable to separate personality from talent. If a guy looks/acts/is a douche and struggles a little or a lot, it's very easy to pile on and turn your back on him. Even if that guy has a lot of talent.

In this case, I think the whiner tag that he came here with is going to be very difficult for Jay to shake and that's just a fact. I don't judge him by that and I know SKO doesn't. I'm just saying a lot of people do. Also, for further clarification: those people are wieners.

I don't want Jay to be cool or friendly or pose for endless photographs with sick kids. I want him to win and not die because he's on my favorite team. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed that the offensive line decided to let him get pounded like yesterday's beef.

All that. If Cutler and Joakim were Packers or Vikings or Knicks I'd want them to die for being douches. But they're OUR douches. So I like them.

Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 10:17:55 AM
I don't like the strange perception that Cutler doesn't have the FIRE AN PASHIN to lead an NFL team. When I see this guy take the kind of punishment he's taken the past two years and continue to peel himself up off the turf and keep slinging the fucking rock all over the field it tells me all I need to know about how motivated and proud and tough he is. A common motherfucker would bitch out and refuse to continue to work. A weak-minded individual would blow up and scream bloody murder or demand a trade.

Cry baby? Give me a fuckin' break.

Also them. Obviously I'm biased here but I think Cutler's assbaggery, other than the occasional hangdog look after getting his nuts stomped, is kept off the field. He may have threesomes with Hills stars and G-Reg and be the Crown Prince of Chaddery once he leaves Halas Hall, but at least he's not a preening smarmdickle presenting his ass to fans like Rodgers was last week.

How do you compare Cutler to Noah? When did Cutler ever manage to take two full seasons off from caring or competing and basically acting like a professional. One decent year from Noah and everybody in Chicago is treating him like he's fucking Spiderman. That's so Chcago. (replaces Tyler Colvin's dong in mouth)

I'm not saying they're comparable athletes because of their level of talent or accomplishments. They're similar in that people who don't root for the Bears or Bulls generally don't like them because of their stupid faces and personalities. So thanks for proving my point.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 05, 2010, 12:40:13 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 05, 2010, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: Slaky on October 04, 2010, 08:02:01 PMWhat I don't think helps is he's got a very punchable face and stupid hair. It's true. I like Jay and wish him well. My point, so none of you titheads get confused, is that a lot of fans are unable to separate personality from talent. If a guy looks/acts/is a douche and struggles a little or a lot, it's very easy to pile on and turn your back on him. Even if that guy has a lot of talent.

In this case, I think the whiner tag that he came here with is going to be very difficult for Jay to shake and that's just a fact. I don't judge him by that and I know SKO doesn't. I'm just saying a lot of people do. Also, for further clarification: those people are wieners.

I don't want Jay to be cool or friendly or pose for endless photographs with sick kids. I want him to win and not die because he's on my favorite team. So yeah, I'm pretty bummed that the offensive line decided to let him get pounded like yesterday's beef.

All that. If Cutler and Joakim were Packers or Vikings or Knicks I'd want them to die for being douches. But they're OUR douches. So I like them.

Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 10:17:55 AM
I don't like the strange perception that Cutler doesn't have the FIRE AN PASHIN to lead an NFL team. When I see this guy take the kind of punishment he's taken the past two years and continue to peel himself up off the turf and keep slinging the fucking rock all over the field it tells me all I need to know about how motivated and proud and tough he is. A common motherfucker would bitch out and refuse to continue to work. A weak-minded individual would blow up and scream bloody murder or demand a trade.

Cry baby? Give me a fuckin' break.

Also them. Obviously I'm biased here but I think Cutler's assbaggery, other than the occasional hangdog look after getting his nuts stomped, is kept off the field. He may have threesomes with Hills stars and G-Reg and be the Crown Prince of Chaddery once he leaves Halas Hall, but at least he's not a preening smarmdickle presenting his ass to fans like Rodgers was last week.

How do you compare Cutler to Noah? When did Cutler ever manage to take two full seasons off from caring or competing and basically acting like a professional. One decent year from Noah and everybody in Chicago is treating him like he's fucking Spiderman. That's so Chcago. (replaces Tyler Colvin's dong in mouth)

I'm not saying they're comparable athletes because of their level of talent or accomplishments. They're similar in that people who don't root for the Bears or Bulls generally don't like them because of their stupid faces and personalities. So thanks for proving my point.

No problem. /Starks fanboy.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 10:13:57 AM
Statistically speaking, if someone gets a TD on a punt return (or KO), the likelihood of them returning the next for a TD drops dramatically.

Are you saying it's less likely because the other team will make adjustments?  Or that it's statistically less likely, purely because of the previous return TD?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2010, 01:46:39 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2010, 01:15:58 PM
Statistically speaking, if someone gets a TD on a punt return (or KO), the likelihood of them returning the next for a TD drops dramatically.

Are you saying it's less likely because the other team will make adjustments?  Or that it's statistically less likely, purely because of the previous return TD?

I think he's saying that if you flip a coin and it lands heads 10 times in a row, it must land on tails the 11th time.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2010, 01:56:22 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 05, 2010, 01:46:39 PM

I think he's saying that if you flip a coin and it lands heads 10 times in a row, it must land on tails the 11th time.

The coin is due, man.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »

Are you saying it's less likely because the other team will make adjustments?  Or that it's statistically less likely, purely because of the previous return TD?

Not "must" but "more likely to". And it does have something to do with adjustments, but also the likelihood of that kind of play happening. The NFL isn't like HS football where a great player can literally run circles around an opposing team. Even the great returners in the NFL are stopped for a "normal return" more often than not. The odds of this happening does derive from the quality of the opposing players as well as your own players. Adjustments can factor in. If you swap out your gunners because they're not containing like they should, then that can factor in. All of this factors in to basically show that, immediately after a successful punt/KO return for a TD, then the odds of it happening the next time drop drastically.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2010, 01:56:22 PM

Are you saying it's less likely because the other team will make adjustments?  Or that it's statistically less likely, purely because of the previous return TD?

The coin is due, man.

I think he's saying the other team probably will kick it away from you. Or something something HS Football something.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 05, 2010, 02:00:38 PM

Not "must" but "more likely to". And it does have something to do with adjustments, but also the likelihood of that kind of play happening. The NFL isn't like HS football where a great player can literally run circles around an opposing team. Even the great returners in the NFL are stopped for a "normal return" more often than not. The odds of this happening does derive from the quality of the opposing players as well as your own players. Adjustments can factor in. If you swap out your gunners because they're not containing like they should, then that can factor in. All of this factors in to basically show that, immediately after a successful punt/KO return for a TD, then the odds of it happening the next time drop drastically.

So, if Evan Longoria gets a hit in his first at bat tomorrow, his chances of getting a hit in his second at bat are less than they were in his first at bat?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:12 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2010, 02:02:55 PM

So, if Evan Longoria gets a hit in his first at bat tomorrow, his chances of getting a hit in his second at bat are less than they were in his first at bat?

I can't believe that this conversation is happening and BC is not involved in it.

In the abstract.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »
All of this factors in to basically show that, immediately after a successful punt/KO return for a TD, then the odds of it happening the next time drop drastically.

But not STATISTICALLY speaking, as you said.  In fact, the statistical odds increase because the returner's rate of returns-for-touchdowns is now higher after the previous return.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 05, 2010, 02:01:03 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2010, 01:56:22 PM

The coin is due, man.

I think he's saying the other team probably will kick it away from you. Or something something HS Football something.

Wait, Yeti played high school football? I'd like to hear more about this.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »
The NFL isn't like HS football where a great player can literally run circles around an opposing team.

I get it now. You're messing with everyone.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »

You keep talking about "odds" and what "the numbers will show," so a question: are these "odds" and "numbers" real or just imaginary?

Because, absent such things, I'd have to say that independent events are independent events are independent events.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2010, 02:02:55 PM

So, the law of large numbers doesn't indicate that over time the numbers will average out to the norm? Also, comparing hits to Punt Return TDs isn't apt. I don't think 25% of Punts are returned for TDs (it's probably closer to 5%). 25% of ABs result in hits, though.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2010, 02:14:30 PM »
I don't think Yeti means what he thinks he means.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck