News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,242 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 11:29:02 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on November 18, 2014, 11:21:37 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 11:18:29 AM
Quote from: Slaky on November 18, 2014, 10:57:00 AM
If they don't get Lester and won't trade for Hamels I guess there's still Shields. That doesn't do a lot for me though.

Shields feels like a disaster waiting to happen, but after looking at it closer, I'm not so sure. His fastball velocity has actually gone up four straight years and his peripherals have been remarkably consistent. He's a risk like every pitcher, but there haven't been any real signs that he'll fall off a cliff.

I don't think Shields alone makes them a contender next year, but there's an argument for Shields at 4/$80 million being more palatable than Lester at $7/$160 million. And the actual on-field production may not end up being all that different.

QuoteIn all honesty if they can't land A Guy this offseason I personally won't be upset. I'll be annoyed and a little embarrassed since the Cubs will, as always, be the butt of many awful jokes. But I still think they'll be fun to watch next year and I think most of you do too.

Fun to watch, sure. At times. But a good team? Probably not.

Plus, I don't really want them to go into next winter having missed out on every desirable target in the last four offseasons.

Other than Maddon and Theo.

Well, if Theo himself hasn't translated into actual wins going into Year 5 and he's laid four straight offseason turds*, that takes the shine off that one a bit.

* Which, again, I'd be really surprised by. I just can't see them doing nothing again this offseason.

Well that's the thing:  they have very desirable assets in the minors to trade for good players on teams looking to cut salary. That will be an option from here on out. Once acquired the money can be spent on extensions, etc.

Free agency as we knew it when we were kids is dead. It's a different world. The thing about free agency is you can offer the most money and still lose out. Russell Martin went to his home town. Jon Lester has been a Red Sox player his whole career save a few months. They took care of him when he had cancer. He won there. He's settled down there. If he chooses Boston over Chicago and the money is equal how can anyone be upset?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on November 18, 2014, 11:51:42 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 11:29:02 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on November 18, 2014, 11:21:37 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 11:18:29 AM
If they don't get Lester and won't trade for Hamels I guess there's still Shields. That doesn't do a lot for me though.

Shields feels like a disaster waiting to happen, but after looking at it closer, I'm not so sure. His fastball velocity has actually gone up four straight years and his peripherals have been remarkably consistent. He's a risk like every pitcher, but there haven't been any real signs that he'll fall off a cliff.

I don't think Shields alone makes them a contender next year, but there's an argument for Shields at 4/$80 million being more palatable than Lester at $7/$160 million. And the actual on-field production may not end up being all that different.

QuoteIn all honesty if they can't land A Guy this offseason I personally won't be upset. I'll be annoyed and a little embarrassed since the Cubs will, as always, be the butt of many awful jokes. But I still think they'll be fun to watch next year and I think most of you do too.

Fun to watch, sure. At times. But a good team? Probably not.

Plus, I don't really want them to go into next winter having missed out on every desirable target in the last four offseasons.

Other than Maddon and Theo.

Well, if Theo himself hasn't translated into actual wins going into Year 5 and he's laid four straight offseason turds*, that takes the shine off that one a bit.

* Which, again, I'd be really surprised by. I just can't see them doing nothing again this offseason.

Well that's the thing:  they have very desirable assets in the minors to trade for good players on teams looking to cut salary. That will be an option from here on out. Once acquired the money can be spent on extensions, etc.

Free agency as we knew it when we were kids is dead. It's a different world. The thing about free agency is you can offer the most money and still lose out. Russell Martin went to his home town. Jon Lester has been a Red Sox player his whole career save a few months. They took care of him when he had cancer. He won there. He's settled down there. If he chooses Boston over Chicago and the money is equal how can anyone be upset?

I think the response there would be make sure the money isn't equal. At some point they're going to have to back up the Brinks truck for someone knowing it's going to hurt later. This is the cost of contending.

Also I don't think Martin being Canadian was a bigger factor than the extra year/18 million dollars over the rumored 4/64 deal the Cubs were supposedly dangling. Not saying they should have matched it, but there's reason to believe the Cubs not being willing to pay stupid money is a factor.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 18, 2014, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 18, 2014, 10:12:02 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 10:06:07 AM
Quote from: Fork on November 18, 2014, 09:43:45 AM
Has anyone been linked to Scherzer?

The Cardinals, but a lot of that may just be because Scherzer grew up near St. Louis.

Does anyone really think the Yankees will actually sit out on the elite free agents this year like the rumors say? Because I still sorta think they're grabbing Scherzer.

Most reports that I've seen say the Cubs don't want Scherzer for whatever reason. If they don't get Lester and won't trade for Hamels I guess there's still Shields. That doesn't do a lot for me though.

In all honesty if they can't land A Guy this offseason I personally won't be upset. I'll be annoyed and a little embarrassed since the Cubs will, as always, be the butt of many awful jokes. But I still think they'll be fun to watch next year and I think most of you do too.

I'd be somewhat pissed if they got no one, at least via free agency.  They've spent 3 years cutting payroll for this exact reason. Ownership has seen the value of the franchise go up by 100% in some estimates.  They're getting their additional money from the Jumbotron and other revenue enhancers.

If after 4 offseasons, the only guy they've gotten to sign a long term deal with is Edwin Jackson because the Cubs are unwilling to spend a billionaire's money, I'd be somewhat upset.

Well guys it was nice knowing you because I just blew my brains out after agreeing with every. damn. word. of a Chuckpost.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on November 18, 2014, 11:51:42 AM
If he chooses Boston over Chicago and the money is equal how can anyone be upset?

It wouldn't just be that move by itself that would make people angsty, but if missing out on Lester coincided with also missing on Scherzer and Shields, then not going after Hamels, Zimmermann, etc. to compensate.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Maybe we all need to pump the brakes a bit on the Doom Bus here. Martin took an illogical contract fro the Blue Jays. If Lester goes elsewhere, you know the Cubs will be in the mix. And if Boston blows their financial wad on him, the Cubs can move on Scherzer, since their pick is protected.

Even if both Lester and Scherzer go elsewhere, you have to think every free agent in the game can see what is about to happen in Chicago, and any pitcher can fall asleep dreaming of the run support he can get here once Baez rounds into form and Bryant is here.

If the Cubs are sitting where they currently are on February 18, then we have cause for unhappiness, or whatever emotion is deemed appropriate by the torch-wielding mob. But the fact that we haven't even gotten to Thanksgiving means it's a little too early to get the despair going.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on November 18, 2014, 12:28:55 PM

Maybe we all need to pump the brakes a bit on the Doom Bus here. Martin took an illogical contract fro the Blue Jays. If Lester goes elsewhere, you know the Cubs will be in the mix. And if Boston blows their financial wad on him, the Cubs can move on Scherzer, since their pick is protected.

Even if both Lester and Scherzer go elsewhere, you have to think every free agent in the game can see what is about to happen in Chicago, and any pitcher can fall asleep dreaming of the run support he can get here once Baez rounds into form and Bryant is here.

If the Cubs are sitting where they currently are on February 18, then we have cause for unhappiness, or whatever emotion is deemed appropriate by the torch-wielding mob. But the fact that we haven't even gotten to Thanksgiving means it's a little too early to get the despair going.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I think that's how Cubs fans who have been wrapped up in the rebuilding look at it. But realistically, there's no reason for a free agent to prefer the Cubs over any other team with money and lots of enviable young talent that's actually won at the major league level recently, like the Cardinals, Dodgers, Nationals, Orioles, Red Sox, and so forth.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 12:59:55 PM

I think that's how Cubs fans who have been wrapped up in the rebuilding look at it. But realistically, there's no reason for a free agent to prefer the Cubs over any other team with money and lots of enviable young talent that's actually won at the major league level recently, like the Cardinals, Dodgers, Nationals, Orioles, Red Sox, and so forth.

Yeah. The Cubs a few years ago were at a point where simply over-paying top free agents probably wasn't going to get them to come. They've hopefully moved past that point, but that doesn't mean they don't still have to make their offer considerably more lucrative than the offer of a proven contender.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on November 18, 2014, 01:05:14 PM

Yeah. The Cubs a few years ago were at a point where simply over-paying top free agents probably wasn't going to get them to come. They've hopefully moved past that point, but that doesn't mean they don't still have to make their offer considerably more lucrative than the offer of a proven contender.

Not to pick on Fork too much, but I had to chuckle at the idea of Max Scherzer lying in bed and thinking, "Man, I can't wait to pitch for the Cubs once that Baez kid stops striking out in half of his at bats."

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 01:25:33 PM

Not to pick on Fork too much, but I had to chuckle at the idea of Max Scherzer lying in bed and thinking, "Man, I can't wait to pitch for the Cubs once that Baez kid stops striking out in half of his at bats."

Maybe it's because I primarily follow Cub-related news, but what's the deal with Scherzer? I know Lester has met or will meet with the Red Sox, Cubs and Barves but feel like there's not much being reported about Scherzer.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on November 18, 2014, 01:38:40 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 18, 2014, 01:25:33 PM

Maybe it's because I primarily follow Cub-related news, but what's the deal with Scherzer? I know Lester has met or will meet with the Red Sox, Cubs and Barves but feel like there's not much being reported about Scherzer.

Not to be Chuck, but Boras. 

Generally his guys sign later.  Or at least that's what people say.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

The best recruiting tool Jepstink could use would be for members of the 85 Bears to tell free agents how much they can milk a single championship year in this town.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on November 18, 2014, 02:19:53 PM

The best recruiting tool Jepstink could use would be for members of the 85 Bears to tell free agents how much they can milk a single championship year in this town.

"What?" - Jermaine Dye

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Call me the pessimist, I'm gonna go ahead and say Theo and Jed's best bet is to offer the most money to people.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
... and any pitcher can fall asleep dreaming of the run support he can get here once Baez rounds into form and Bryant is here.

Now that is what I call a Cub fan during the off season!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)