News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Maltin's 151 Greatest Movies You've Never Seen  ( 6,770 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Maltin's 151 Greatest Movies You've Never Seen
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I'd love to get a look at this script:

QuoteBut what I never knew until last month was that in 1990, there was an attempt to make an actual theatrical release called "The Saturday Night Live Movie," an anthology comedy film a la "Kentucky Fried Movie" that was aimed at satirizing the experience of going to the movies, written by an all-star cast of writers who have been associated with the show over the years.

How did I learn of the project's existence?

The best way possible:  the script landed on my desk.

Let's start with a look at who's involved.  On the very last page, there is a list of the various sketches that are part of the film, and a list of who wrote which one.  It gives you an idea of the format and what sort of sketch to expect from the movie.

"Welcome To The Movies" by Conan O'Brien, Robert Smigel, and Greg Daniels
"Young Bush At Yale" by Jim Downey, Al Franken, and Robert Smigel
"Cineplex" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien, and Greg Daniels
"Appeal #1" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Romance" by Al Franken and Tom Davis
"Crack Rap" by Al Franken and Tom Davis
"Appeal #2" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Dad's Car" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien and Greg Daniels
"Bum Piss Canyon/Apology" by Tom Davis, Jim Downey, and Al Franken
"Appeal #3" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"E.T.'s" by Greg Daniels, Robert Smigel, Jim Downey, and Conan O'Brien
"On The Farm" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien, Greg Daniels, and Al Franken
"Wonderful Life" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Tip Stealer" by George Meyer
"Movie's Over" by Conan O'Brien, Robert Smigel, and Greg Daniels
"Blooper Credits" by Conan O'Brien and Jim Downey

And this in particular:

QuoteMy favorite piece in the entire script is "Tip Stealer," and it's the hardest to describe.  It's one of the longer sketches at 21 pages, and it's the story of Adrian, a guy who learned to steal tips as a kid, and who has grown into a professional, a guy whose pathological need to steal tips provides him with an excellent living.  I didn't know until I was done reading the script that this is the George Meyer segment, but I should have guessed.  Surreal, silly, smart and stupid sometimes within the same joke, this reads like a "Simpsons" episode, but without any of the familiar characters.  Sight gags, wicked verbal humor, and a slap-happy sense of absurdity make it one of the best moments in the script.  There's no simple punchline to the piece, either.  It's just a whole lot of darn good jokes in a row.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Maltin's 151 Greatest Movies You've Never Seen
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 09:04:47 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 22, 2010, 08:45:06 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I'd love to get a look at this script:

QuoteBut what I never knew until last month was that in 1990, there was an attempt to make an actual theatrical release called "The Saturday Night Live Movie," an anthology comedy film a la "Kentucky Fried Movie" that was aimed at satirizing the experience of going to the movies, written by an all-star cast of writers who have been associated with the show over the years.

How did I learn of the project's existence?

The best way possible:  the script landed on my desk.

Let's start with a look at who's involved.  On the very last page, there is a list of the various sketches that are part of the film, and a list of who wrote which one.  It gives you an idea of the format and what sort of sketch to expect from the movie.

"Welcome To The Movies" by Conan O'Brien, Robert Smigel, and Greg Daniels
"Young Bush At Yale" by Jim Downey, Al Franken, and Robert Smigel
"Cineplex" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien, and Greg Daniels
"Appeal #1" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Romance" by Al Franken and Tom Davis
"Crack Rap" by Al Franken and Tom Davis
"Appeal #2" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Dad's Car" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien and Greg Daniels
"Bum Piss Canyon/Apology" by Tom Davis, Jim Downey, and Al Franken
"Appeal #3" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"E.T.'s" by Greg Daniels, Robert Smigel, Jim Downey, and Conan O'Brien
"On The Farm" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien, Greg Daniels, and Al Franken
"Wonderful Life" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Tip Stealer" by George Meyer
"Movie's Over" by Conan O'Brien, Robert Smigel, and Greg Daniels
"Blooper Credits" by Conan O'Brien and Jim Downey

And this in particular:

QuoteMy favorite piece in the entire script is "Tip Stealer," and it's the hardest to describe.  It's one of the longer sketches at 21 pages, and it's the story of Adrian, a guy who learned to steal tips as a kid, and who has grown into a professional, a guy whose pathological need to steal tips provides him with an excellent living.  I didn't know until I was done reading the script that this is the George Meyer segment, but I should have guessed.  Surreal, silly, smart and stupid sometimes within the same joke, this reads like a "Simpsons" episode, but without any of the familiar characters.  Sight gags, wicked verbal humor, and a slap-happy sense of absurdity make it one of the best moments in the script.  There's no simple punchline to the piece, either.  It's just a whole lot of darn good jokes in a row.

God bless you, George Meyer.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.