News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Please add joyful positive here!!!!  ( 103,740 )

Al Yellon

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Please add joyful positive here!!!!
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2007, 01:53:52 PM »
Quote from: Chuckosan on July 09, 2007, 01:45:12 PM
Quote from: EG on July 09, 2007, 01:28:02 PM
I'm just wary of how big of a dropoff we'll see.
Exactly.  Now, anyone think Andy MacFail would be willing to unload Tejada and his bum wrist for a mid-level prospect?  I'd take his salary and the risk that he doesn't play until September, or even next year, to potentially upgrade this infield and offense for this year.

No. The O's are 15 games back. What do they have to gain by off-loading the cornerstone of their offense/infield/team for a "mid-level prospect" who may or may not pan out?

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
Quote from: Chuckosan on July 09, 2007, 01:45:12 PM
Quote from: EG on July 09, 2007, 01:28:02 PM
I'm just wary of how big of a dropoff we'll see.
Exactly.  Now, anyone think Andy MacFail would be willing to unload Tejada and his bum wrist for a mid-level prospect?  I'd take his salary and the risk that he doesn't play until September, or even next year, to potentially upgrade this infield and offense for this year.

He might unload him.  But not for just a prospect.  Maybe Pie plus a few others.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »
Quote from: ChuckDickens on July 09, 2007, 01:53:52 PM
No. The O's are 15 games back. What do they have to gain by off-loading the cornerstone of their offense/infield/team for a "mid-level prospect" who may or may not pan out?
Salary relief now and in future years (through 2010) and the ability to lower the age of the team as part of a rebuilding.

Give then Ron Ce, E Pat and, say, Gallagher.

Too bad it would never happen.  No way Zell allows adding three years of payroll.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2007, 02:57:11 PM »
Colin Cowherd was going on today about how he knows Tejada did steroids because "he gave Rafael Palmeiro the B-12 shot", "Jose Canseco says Miguel did 'roids" and because Tejada is only on pace to hit 14 home runs this year!

Colin did not point out (because I'm sure he doesn't know) that Tejada broke his wrist on June 21.  Little, insignificant detail, there.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
Quote from: Andy on July 09, 2007, 02:57:11 PM
Colin Cowherd was going on today about how he knows Tejada did steroids because "he gave Rafael Palmeiro the B-12 shot", "Jose Canseco says Miguel did 'roids" and because Tejada is only on pace to hit 14 home runs this year!

Colin did not point out (because I'm sure he doesn't know) that Tejada broke his wrist on June 21.  Little, insignificant detail, there.
Why is the guy who sells Vizio TVs talking sports?

Never mind.  Chicago has a guy who sells hot dogs doing it, why not TVs?

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2007, 12:13:49 AM »
Shock of all shocks that Cowherd was playing fast and loose with the facts! He's quickly catapaulted into my top 10 of most hated media personalities, thanks to his laissez faire attitude toward accuracy and the fact he MAY have broken telecommunications laws a while back by asking his listeners to essentially spam a website called thebiglead.com (Which of course was espousing a view that he disagreed with and also occasionally criticized ESPN) and drove that website's server out of commission for more than 48 hours.

"We shut it down in 90 seconds," Cowherd boasted on air. "We don't even know thebiglead." After a bit more gloating, he said "We apologize -- but just don't screw with us." Then he asked his listeners to "knock it out again, just for fun."

-----

As far as positive goes, I still have very serious doubts about what this team can do, but I actually at least like the position the Cubs are in. Being within reach, but not the one being chased, means that the attention and the pressure should be at a minimum. I know the 2003 comparision has been criticized earlier today on this site... But that team also wasn't that great at the start of the season and middled around .500 until the trade deadline. After the Lofton-Ramirez deal, things improved. Could Hendry have something up his sleeve this year that causes a similiar jump up the standings? In particular, the pitching staffs are eerily similiar in terms of how most of the roles were filled/are being filled after you get past the fact there is no equivalent to Prior and what was Zambrano in this year's rotation...

Rotation:

Fireballer with sometimes more than occasional bouts of wildness, but also takes no prisoners... 2003: Wood 2007: Zambrano
Right-handed veteran pitcher who pitches well on the whole but you just don't trust... 2003: Clement 2007: Marquis

Can't find a match for Estes/Hill and Marshall. Hill and Marshall have struggled recently, but still haven't been as bad as Estes was save for that one awesome night game in Cincy...

Bullpen:

Closer who scares the living daylights out of you but somehow gets the job done... 2003: Borowski 2007: Dempster
Youngster with great fastball and acts bada**... 2003: Farnsworth 2007: Marmol
Veteran right-hander who shouldn't get in any significant game but always is anyhow... 2003: Alfonseca 2007: Howry
Lefty that can do one thing well, but don't ask them for anything more... 2003: Remlinger 2007: Ohman
Lefty who is utterly worthless... 2003: Guthrie 2007: Eyre

I know someone's probably going to bring up Guthrie's stats to say that he wasn't horrible, but before anyone does just consider that with his WHIP and batter's average against in 2003, to get the stats he ended up with may have been the luckiest coincidences a relief pitcher got in 2003.
Also, Veres and Wuertz don't match up well, Wuertz is much better this year than Veres was in '03.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2007, 08:31:48 AM »
Quote from: BC on July 10, 2007, 12:13:49 AM
I know someone's probably going to bring up Guthrie's stats to say that he wasn't horrible,

Don't hold your breath.

It would be nice to have a rotation that could dominate like the '03 bunch did. I think if you gave that team this team's bullpen, the Cubs would have won definitely a few World Series games. But I only say that because I'm a moran and this is the joyful positive thread.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2007, 11:49:13 AM »
He's quickly catapaulted into my top 10 of most hated media personalities, thanks to his laissez faire attitude toward accuracy and the fact he MAY have broken telecommunications laws a while back by asking his listeners to essentially spam a website called thebiglead.com (Which of course was espousing a view that he disagreed with and also occasionally criticized ESPN) and drove that website's server out of commission for more than 48 hours.

You just wrote a 72-word sentence.  Impressive work.

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
Quote from: EG on July 10, 2007, 11:49:13 AM
He's quickly catapaulted into my top 10 of most hated media personalities, thanks to his laissez faire attitude toward accuracy and the fact he MAY have broken telecommunications laws a while back by asking his listeners to essentially spam a website called thebiglead.com (Which of course was espousing a view that he disagreed with and also occasionally criticized ESPN) and drove that website's server out of commission for more than 48 hours.

You just wrote a 72-word sentence.  Impressive work.

Dennis Miller can do that while holding in a bong hit.

Al Yellon

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
Barrett's line since joining the Wild Card-leading Fathers:

G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
  15  53  53   2  14  3  0  0   5   0   0   7   0   0   0   2   0  0  .264  .264  .321  .585

No walks? No home runs? Leading the way to a 5-10 record? Way to go, Mikey.

DwightKurtz

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2007, 12:03:32 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on July 10, 2007, 08:31:48 AM
I know someone's probably going to bring up Guthrie's stats to say that he wasn't horrible,

Don't hold your breath.

It would be nice to have a rotation that could dominate like the '03 bunch did. I think if you gave that team this team's bullpen, the Cubs would have won definitely a few World Series games. But I only say that because I'm a moran and this is the joyful positive thread.

A dominant post season pitcher is definitely what this team lacks.  The Cubs might be able to get there, but they're going to have to scrap and claw once it happens. 

And sure, the Big Moose can shut anybody down, but I'll be a little shocked if he ever has a stellar post season.  He's just wound a little too tight.
"I will say that Kurt's pride in/self-awarenss of his geekhood is quite admirable." - Penfoe
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Slaky!

• Still Slakin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »
Back OT for a sec, I was gleefully positive about today's effort from the rest of the team, de Suc not included.

Just a fantastic effort to come back from the hole MDS dug us.

Go Cubs.

Old Style Man

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2007, 08:29:39 PM »
It's amazing how the Cubs have been able to win games like today's over the last 6 weeks or so. I'm obviously concerned with any starting pitchers not named Zambrano or Lilly, but the offense and defense have really picked it up over that time. It's too bad the Brewers held on both yesterday and today, but a game gained this weekend is still good stuff. This is getting fun.

Taylor

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »
Quote from: Slaky! on July 15, 2007, 08:07:48 PM
Back OT for a sec, I was gleefully positive about today's effort from the rest of the team, de Suc not included.

Just a fantastic effort to come back from the hole MDS dug us.

Go Cubs.

Seconded. After de Suc spotted the Trolls the 5-0 lead I was thinking wouldn't it be nice if the Cubs could come back on them like they did on the Brewers.

Great effort by the bullpen. Even if some of them made it a bit gut grinding at times. They got the big outs.

Best thing is that DLee looks to have his swing back. Not only did he get his first home run in over a month, but he's hitting the ball with authority on this home stand.
"Now I can start to see some of the ways that this team has lost ball games." Lou

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2007, 05:34:26 AM »

I positive the fact that when one part of their game isn't working, they pick up the other parts. They won Friday with 2 extra-base hits, won yesterday with no starting pitching. This is something that's been sorely lacking the past few years.

If every part of their game starts working all at once, look out.