News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Colbert Report  ( 9,533 )

berserker

The Colbert Report
« on: May 04, 2006, 10:41:56 AM »

Couldn't find a Colbert thread here.

Not only does he skewer the pundits on the cable stations, did anyone see his bit at the Correspondant's Dinner this past weekend? Classic!

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Colbert Report
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:09:14 PM »
I still prefer the Daily Show slightly to the Repor, if only because the format is a bit more variable and there are more people (or it could just be that I am too much of a factinista).

But the Correspondents Dinner... a transcript is required reading.  I have never seen anyone absolutely immolate everyone involved in a room like that before... administration, journalists and W himself (who is apparently quite pissed about the whole thing).
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

TG

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:28:22 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on May 04, 2006, 12:09:14 PM
I still prefer the Daily Show slightly to the Repor, if only because the format is a bit more variable and there are more people (or it could just be that I am too much of a factinista).

But the Correspondents Dinner... a transcript is required reading.  I have never seen anyone absolutely immolate everyone involved in a room like that before... administration, journalists and W himself (who is apparently quite pissed about the whole thing).

You could see it as you watched -- Bush didn't crack a smile the entire time.  As funny as the entire thing was, the occasional camera shots of Bush made it a bit awkward as well.  He looked ready to have Colbert taken out right there.

TW

• 2005 Desipio Deadpool Winner and resident DBF fellater.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:41:25 PM »
I much prefer the Report over the Daily Show.  The over-the-top silliness that's played off as sincerity is fantastic.  The one-on-one interviews he holds are great (especially when the interviewee plays along).
Eminem has to cuss in his raps to sell records.  Well...me too...so fuck Will Smith.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 04:47:05 PM »
The ironic thing about the correspondent's dinner is that he absolutely bombed.  The stuff was hilarious and nobody laughed.  The best part is that not only didn't it bother him, he thrived on it.

Bravo.

berserker

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 05:28:59 PM »
Quote from: Andy on May 05, 2006, 04:47:05 PM
The ironic thing about the correspondent's dinner is that he absolutely bombed.  The stuff was hilarious and nobody laughed.  The best part is that not only didn't it bother him, he thrived on it.

Bravo.

He knew he was jabbing open nerves, which is why he bombed.

He knew this was his one & only shot at this, so he swung for the fences, and connected.

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 01:30:49 PM »
I thought President Fucktard had a sense of humor.

I'm sorry.  Did I say that out loud?

Can anyone provide a link to the transcript?  It was actually in the news today that CSPAN was cracking down on some sites that were showing the footage.  CSPAN is not-for-profit, but they're not a government station, so it's not public domain.  Still, there should be nothing wrong with the transcript.\ being available.

Hector Villanueva

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 01:57:38 PM »
I love this freakin show.  Colbert's excellent.

Here's the video of the dinner.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879
"America was built on speed. Badass, nasty speed."  -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

DwightKurtz

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 06:33:35 PM »
Remember that fat guy with the monster ball hanging down his leg?

Colbert has bigger balls than that guy, and they are made of brass.

It was really quite incredible.  I don't get to watch his show very often, but he deserves his props.  I sincerely suspect that we will never see anything quite like it again.
"I will say that Kurt's pride in/self-awarenss of his geekhood is quite admirable." - Penfoe
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Heywood

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 07:31:02 PM »
Hilarious!

Double BRAVO!!!!!!

As for the nervous silent reaction from the audience, the guilty rarely find the truth entertaining.

When the going gets weird........the weird turn pro.

Slaky311

• Resident Aardsmologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 07:40:52 PM »
Was that Larry Fishburne in the crowd?? Fantastic.

berserker

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »
Quote from: Slaky311 on May 09, 2006, 07:40:52 PM
Was that Larry Fishburne in the crowd?? Fantastic.

Sure looked like him.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 04:04:12 AM »
This kinda reminded me of the Don Imus performance at a similar function about ten yeas ago.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 09:07:59 AM »
Here's a transcript for those of you (like me) who can't watch video at work.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Old Style Man

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 10:49:14 AM »
Colbert's performance at the Correspondent's dinner was the #1 "song" purchased on Itunes for a while. You can still get it there for $1.99. I subscribe to the Repor's podcast as well. Great, great stuff, though Stuart is still the master. Jon's takedown of Bill Bennett the other day was classic.