News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Downton Abbey  ( 4,040 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Downton Abbey
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
I assume that no one here is watching this soap opera.  Or if so will not admit it, in order to avoid TDubbs three letter adjective label.  But if you haven't seen this PBS warhorse don't bother, unless you have a taste for the kind of scenery that Merchant Ivory employ in all of their Edwardian dramas.  If so, then the TDubbs adjective probably isn't far off.   However, there are some unintentionally laugh out loud moments.  And why in hell am I watching this?  I don't know.  Maybe I like the scenery.  There is no sex.  The women are uniformly flat chested.  The dialogue is stilted.  The plots are absolutely inane and predictable (I know this because I have seen "Tootsie" and think that it is a very funny attack on soap operas).  Maybe I watch it because it is opposite "CSI Miami"  and I will watch anything before I watch that no talent hack. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Downton Abbey
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 13, 2012, 05:56:33 PM
I assume that no one here is watching this soap opera.  Or if so will not admit it, in order to avoid TDubbs three letter adjective label.  But if you haven't seen this PBS warhorse don't bother, unless you have a taste for the kind of scenery that Merchant Ivory employ in all of their Edwardian dramas.  If so, then the TDubbs adjective probably isn't far off.   However, there are some unintentionally laugh out loud moments.  And why in hell am I watching this?  I don't know.  Maybe I like the scenery.  There is no sex.  The women are uniformly flat chested.  The dialogue is stilted.  The plots are absolutely inane and predictable (I know this because I have seen "Tootsie" and think that it is a very funny attack on soap operas).  Maybe I watch it because it is opposite "CSI Miami"  and I will watch anything before I watch that no talent hack. 

CSI Miami has the Spanish chick with the big cans. Are there Spinish chicks with big cans in Edwardian dramas? I think now, Stew.

I think not.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
Quote from: Fork on February 14, 2012, 08:29:58 AM

CSI Miami has the Spanish chick with the big cans. Are there Spinish chicks with big cans in Edwardian dramas? I think now, Stew.

I think not.

How did Huey get your password?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 14, 2012, 08:32:36 AM
Quote from: Fork on February 14, 2012, 08:29:58 AM

I think not.

How did Huey get your password?

Since he's wearing his winged Cupid helmet today, I'm wearing his everyday one.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
I watched season one.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »
Season 4 just ended with one of the silliest episodes of a very silly series.  Why do I watch it?  Because it is the "Duck Dynasty" for my socio-economic demographic. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:08 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 24, 2014, 07:39:41 PM
Season 4 just ended with one of the silliest episodes of a very silly series.  Why do I watch it?  Because it is the "Duck Dynasty" for my socio-economic demographic. 

We watch it and I wish we didn't. It's so boring.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:45:58 AM »
IT'S OVER!!!

(spoiler alert)

It's over after six insufferable seasons during which I watched every episode.  The finale was laughably insipid with a happy ending for everyone, and in which each character was astoundingly romantically paired off with another character, except for the evil gay butler whom everyone hated but who redeemed himself at the end and became head butler of Downton Abby.  Can hardly wait for the next British import.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 07, 2016, 11:45:58 AM
IT'S OVER!!!

(spoiler alert)

It's over after six insufferable seasons during which I watched every episode.  The finale was laughably insipid with a happy ending for everyone, and in which each character was astoundingly romantically paired off with another character, except for the evil gay butler whom everyone hated but who redeemed himself at the end and became head butler of Downton Abby.  Can hardly wait for the next British import.

I spent most of the show's run wishing it had been set in Russia because it would have been very cathartic to see the Abbey burned and all of them slaughtered by ransacking Bolsheviks.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
IT'S OVER!!!

(spoiler alert)

If you watch anything made by ITV, you only have yourself to blame.  My mate was in it, and I still didn't watch it until this year's Christmas Special, at which point I thought they were just taking the piss.  Turns out, that whole "change scene every twenty seconds" thing was deliberate.  In any event, it's got nothing to do with being British, and everything to do with being shit.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 07, 2016, 11:54:22 AM
IT'S OVER!!!

(spoiler alert)

If you watch anything made by ITV, you only have yourself to blame.  My mate was in it, and I still didn't watch it until this year's Christmas Special, at which point I thought they were just taking the piss.  Turns out, that whole "change scene every twenty seconds" thing was deliberate.  In any event, it's got nothing to do with being British, and everything to do with being shit.

The Muppets were ITV.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 07, 2016, 12:05:34 PM
IT'S OVER!!!

(spoiler alert)

The Muppets were ITV.

That was back in the seventies when they were one of only three channels and could rely on a Friday and Saturday evening audience of 15 million and upwards.  These days, they're lucky to pull in a quarter of that, and as they're not funded by the taxpayer (as is the BBC), that means they have no money to make telly programmes any more.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
IT'S OVER!!!

(spoiler alert)

The Muppets were ITV.

The Muppets killed my grandfather.
TIME TO POST!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on March 07, 2016, 12:09:58 PM
IT'S OVER!!!

(spoiler alert)

The Muppets were ITV.

That was back in the seventies when they were one of only three channels and could rely on a Friday and Saturday evening audience of 15 million and upwards.  These days, they're lucky to pull in a quarter of that, and as they're not funded by the taxpayer (as is the BBC), that means they have no money to make telly programmes any more.
"telly programmes"?  Isn't anyone spell checking here anymore?