News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: True Detective  ( 18,124 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
True Detective
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
Chilling, terrifying, interesting, beautifully shot.

I wish The Bridge was more like this. I'm completely hooked. Can't wait until next week.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: True Detective
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »
I watched at 10 PM.  Was pretty tired. Missed some of the nuances.  I may wait a few weeks and binge watch 3 eps.  The two of them are awesome.  I wasn't sure i recognized McConaghey in the 1995 scenes at first.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:17:21 PM »

No spoiler here. 
The story is told as a flashback.  Two detectives are called to the scene of a ritual murder of a woman.  A person to whom they talk casually references another unsolved murder.  When they follow up that lead they find a connection to the current murder.  That's it.  The rest of the show is the two men who have no regard for each other learning how or whether they can nonetheless relate.  Seventeen years later two other detectives are now investigating something about the original crime and the relationship between the two detectives.    When you think about it you realize how little action there was.  It seems as though most of the show was the 2 detectives in a car talking about nothing that had anything to do with the crime that they were investigating.  But when you see McConaghey and Harrelson being interrogated years later you realize that maybe those conversations in the car are what the show is really all about.  It was slow.  Yet as Pex and Chuck to Chuck indicated their conversations about nothing were engrossing.  You know that something is going to happen that will pit them against each other.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:48:43 PM »
I said some complimentary things about the first episode.  Sorry about that.  Notwithstanding an excellent sex scene, episode 2 put me to sleep.  (Or maybe it was that generous glass of St. Emilion that I had after dinner.)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:57:36 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 20, 2014, 11:48:43 PM
I said some complimentary things about the first episode.  Sorry about that.  Notwithstanding an excellent sex scene, episode 2 put me to sleep.  (Or maybe it was that generous glass of St. Emilion that I had after dinner.)

It was that

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:07 AM »

Woody and Matthew finally got it on, huh? That tension was building so it makes sense.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
What the hell is wrong with you people? This is the best show on television right now. In a show about two detectives that lasts eight hours we had to spend an hour learning more about who our protagonists are while their boss yells at them about not catching the killer. They told you right there that things are moving too slow. Get on with it or else. This after episode one drew us in with a grizzly crime scene and some introduction to the world we're entering with this show. Yes, now that I have a clear picture of who these two men are I'd like to see them solve the crime, uncover the deeper mysteries about the evil cropping up around the area, tie it into the obvious incompetence and neglect displayed by local law enforcement on up the chain of command, have the eventual permanent break in their relationship and then provide the clues that help Brother Mouzone and his partner solve the current related case.

It's an eight-hour show, so we don't have 25 episodes to get to know these characters, their histories, their motivations, watch them develop and grow. This all has to happen now. That's what this episode was. I've watched it twice. I got hard. What?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 09:17:52 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 21, 2014, 09:01:07 AM

Woody and Matthew finally got it on, huh? That tension was building so it makes sense.

What made that interesting is that they tangled over the fact that McConaughey detected that Harrelson had just had sex with someone other than his wife and Harrelson pretended to interpret his comment to be about his wife.  In my opinion they are telegraphing a relationship between McConaughey and Harrelson's wife.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 21, 2014, 09:17:52 AM

What made that interesting is that they tangled over the fact that McConaughey detected that Harrelson had just had sex with someone other than his wife and Harrelson pretended to interpret his comment to be about his wife.  In my opinion they are telegraphing a relationship between McConaughey and Harrelson's wife.

I haven't seen it yet but when that super hot lady came into the office with the documents and they "found a room" it was the most obvious thing ever that they were about to fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »

I agree with that. I believe that Rust will at the very least make a move on Maggie, which will lead to the eternal rift between he and Marty. I'm glad it's that because it makes sense given what we know about these guys. Rust longs (or longed) for the stability of a loving family and Marty is a masochist who enjoys flogging himself for misdeeds. Rust hit on it with, "You've got some self-loathing to do." Marty says Rust, "Could smell weakness." He knows he has the right of it. So Marty will continue to fuck up his life opening the door for Rust who will be unable to control his impulses. One wonders how Maggie will respond, neglected and unloved as she is.

I say I'm glad that's the direction because this show would be a HUGE letdown if it turned out either of these guys were involved in any of the sick crimes going on. If their rift is about women, cool. Ce la vie. I think these guys are who they are and we can trust that in eight hours they're not going to flip the script just to fuck with us. Doesn't seem like that kind of a show. It's smarter than that.  

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 21, 2014, 09:21:03 AM

I haven't seen it yet but when that super hot lady came into the office with the documents and they "found a room" it was the most obvious thing ever that they were about to fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Huge boobs. Clear some alone time.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 21, 2014, 09:26:48 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 21, 2014, 09:21:03 AM

Huge boobs. Clear some alone time.

Much obliged.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 21, 2014, 09:24:43 AM

I agree with that. I believe that Rust will at the very least make a move on Maggie, which will lead to the eternal rift between he and Marty. I'm glad it's that because it makes sense given what we know about these guys. Rust longs (or longed) for the stability of a loving family and Marty is a masochist who enjoys flogging himself for misdeeds. Rust hit on it with, "You've got some self-loathing to do." Marty says Rust, "Could smell weakness." He knows he has the right of it. So Marty will continue to fuck up his life opening the door for Rust who will be unable to control his impulses. One wonders how Maggie will respond, neglected and unloved as she is.

I say I'm glad that's the direction because this show would be a HUGE letdown if it turned out either of these guys were involved in any of the sick crimes going on. If their rift is about women, cool. Ce la vie. I think these guys are who they are and we can trust that in eight hours they're not going to flip the script just to fuck with us. Doesn't seem like that kind of a show. It's smarter than that.  

That.

At the end of the opener, Rust closed with something along the lines of "How about you ask the right questions?" which made me wonder if they're going to peg him as the killer and that would just be gheyer than The Killing. The 2 black dudes might suspect that or at some point outright accuse him of it, and that's fine, but that's just too simple for him to actually be the killer.

As far as him banging Woody's wife, the previews of next week showed Woody yelling at Rust for being at his house when he wasn't there, so, that's a safe bet.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
I fucking love television when you see the closing credits and you feel the need to decompress.

This show is teh ablls.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 21, 2014, 11:30:09 AM
I fucking love television when you see the closing credits and you feel the need to decompress.

I decompress with a glass of St. Emilion during the show.