News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016  ( 61,788 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016
« Reply #660 on: May 16, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
I mean for God's sake CNN hired Corey Lewandowski or however the hell he spells it to come on and talk about Trump's campaign as a CNN talking head while Trump's campaign was still paying him. NBC hired Megyn Kelly. MSNBC in general is tacking right-wing even as their left-wing shows get higher ratings.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 03:01:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 16, 2017, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 02:49:09 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 02:45:42 PM
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 02:07:47 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 01:57:40 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 01:55:00 PM
Quote from: CBStew on May 16, 2017, 01:50:58 PM
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 01:47:58 PM
You know what I'd really like?
A source for the 5 W's of journalism.
Without bias without a political agenda.
I don't want a "side" just report facts.
Fake news , real news, CNN, FOX, WSJ, NYT, WP, and all the rest.
How about just reporting a factual non glorified unbiased story.
I'm so sick of everyone has to have a position.

Yeah, I know I'm old.
I think that Twitter is the answer.  If you can't count on Twitter what can you count on?

The best source of unbiased analysis is on Twitter, particularly politicians who criticize people they don't like for doing the same thing people they like are doing.

I know you're kidding but I'm talking about real reporting.
I'm just so sick of having to filter everything based off an assumption of bias.

The bias isn't necessarily ideological - hell, most media is owned by corporations that benefits greatly from Conservative policies, whether it's FCC deregulation or abolishing net neutrality...but the bias, particularly with regard to broadcast media, is ratings.

People don't tune in to hear everything is fine.

So CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, WP, and the NYT benefit from conservative policies?
You must get your cable and internet from a different provider than mine.

NBC, which is owned by Comcast, one of the largest Internet providers in the US? Damn right they do.

I must have missed all the conservative stories on NBC

I guess I'm wondering what you define as a "conservative story"? If it's just "when are they going to run something not biased against the current administration or its policies" then is it worth considering whether the problem is the news or the administration's continued fuck ups? I mean the AHCA had a fucking 17% approval rating from the American public and it was rammed through in a matter of days without a final bill published for public review and without a CBO score. Is the media supposed to just lie?

I mean if you want "conservative stories" people on CNN were not averse to praising Trump for launching a few cruise missiles into Syria to send a message (I saw where out of 47 OP eds run in major national newspapers about the Syria strikes, only 1 was opposed) and Brian Williams talked about how "beautiful" they were as they were being fired off the deck of a ship.

His one address to congress was met with praise from all the major pundits and largely hailed as the day he "became president" or whatever.

The media wants to go wherever public opinion goes and Americans want nothing more than to be told everything is fine so long as they're not being blatantly lied to. This administration is so transparent in their repeated fucks ups that it is impossible to push the "everything is fine" narrative. If Trump ever manages to go one week without hitting himself in the dick repeatedly you'll see the media fall right in line to praise his presidential tone or whatever.

Don't forget Brian Williams chimping himself raw over Syria getting bombed.

Do you just read every other paragraph?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: May 16, 2017, 03:06:17 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on May 16, 2017, 03:05:31 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 03:01:36 PM

Yeah, I know I'm old.
I think that Twitter is the answer.  If you can't count on Twitter what can you count on?

The best source of unbiased analysis is on Twitter, particularly politicians who criticize people they don't like for doing the same thing people they like are doing.

I'm just so sick of having to filter everything based off an assumption of bias.

The bias isn't necessarily ideological - hell, most media is owned by corporations that benefits greatly from Conservative policies, whether it's FCC deregulation or abolishing net neutrality...but the bias, particularly with regard to broadcast media, is ratings.

So CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, WP, and the NYT benefit from conservative policies?

NBC, which is owned by Comcast, one of the largest Internet providers in the US? Damn right they do.

I guess I'm wondering what you define as a "conservative story"? If it's just "when are they going to run something not biased against the current administration or its policies" then is it worth considering whether the problem is the news or the administration's continued fuck ups? I mean the AHCA had a fucking 17% approval rating from the American public and it was rammed through in a matter of days without a final bill published for public review and without a CBO score. Is the media supposed to just lie?

I mean if you want "conservative stories" people on CNN were not averse to praising Trump for launching a few cruise missiles into Syria to send a message (I saw where out of 47 OP eds run in major national newspapers about the Syria strikes, only 1 was opposed) and Brian Williams talked about how "beautiful" they were as they were being fired off the deck of a ship.

His one address to congress was met with praise from all the major pundits and largely hailed as the day he "became president" or whatever.

The media wants to go wherever public opinion goes and Americans want nothing more than to be told everything is fine so long as they're not being blatantly lied to. This administration is so transparent in their repeated fucks ups that it is impossible to push the "everything is fine" narrative. If Trump ever manages to go one week without hitting himself in the dick repeatedly you'll see the media fall right in line to praise his presidential tone or whatever.

Don't forget Brian Williams chimping himself raw over Syria getting bombed.

Do you just read every other paragraph?

I had to consider the source.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: May 16, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »

Yeah, I know I'm old.

Guys, I'm not arguing for / against Trump.
If you don't feel CNN and NBC have a left bias, that's cool.
I'm apolitical as hell and my original post was about not feeling confident in being able to find a source for the 5 W's.
No matter what your politics are it's just sad as hell that it is all ratings driven and not about non sensationalistic journalism.
I would really like to have a source for unbiased investigative work.
Turn on any of the network big 3 at 5:30 pm on a weekday and the most air time will be given to the current national "weather apocalypse".

I would love to sit down and spend time reading a fair report.
I believe those days are gone if they ever existed.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: May 16, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 03:16:15 PM

Yeah, I know I'm old.

Guys, I'm not arguing for / against Trump.
If you don't feel CNN and NBC have a left bias, that's cool.
I'm apolitical as hell and my original post was about not feeling confident in being able to find a source for the 5 W's.
No matter what your politics are it's just sad as hell that it is all ratings driven and not about non sensationalistic journalism.
I would really like to have a source for unbiased investigative work.
Turn on any of the network big 3 at 5:30 pm on a weekday and the most air time will be given to the current national "weather apocalypse".

I would love to sit down and spend time reading a fair report.
I believe those days are gone if they ever existed.

My original point, which still stands, is the most sensational shit gets the airtime, regardless of political slant. Trump got tens of millions of dollars worth of free airtime last campaign cycle, simply because nobody wanted to miss the next insane thing he said. He was like a shock jock for cable news. And everybody gave him maximum exposure.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
Cable news with the exception of Fox tries to skew towards what viewers want as far as social news, economically they skew right of center. Bernie's economic platform that would most definitely hurt major media corporations financially got met with derision or just ignored entirely by news channels on either side. NBC/MSNBC/CNN etc will skew more liberal as far as diversity and social issues go simply because that appeals to the broadest number of viewers, since the Cranky Old White People demographic is owned by Fox.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
Fork, you quoted MMFA.
Seriously?
This is my point.

Where do I find unbiased reporting?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: May 16, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 03:36:47 PM
Fork, you quoted MMFA.
Seriously?
This is my point.

Like it or not, they provide the best metrics.

ETA: I generally get my news from financial networks. They provide the rawest data, and the analysis isn't geared toward politics, but how to make money off the information.

Not the pure 5 Ws, but better than screaming talking heads.
TIME TO POST!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: May 16, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 03:39:28 PM
Fork, you quoted MMFA.
Seriously?
This is my point.

ETA: I generally get my news from financial networks. They provide the rawest data, and the analysis isn't geared toward politics, but how to make money off the information.

Says who? Mother Jones?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: May 16, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 03:49:53 PM
Fork, you quoted MMFA.
Seriously?
This is my point.

Says who? Mother Jones?

Find me someone who does as thorough a monitoring of broadcasts and I'll take a look.
TIME TO POST!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: May 16, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 04:00:10 PM
Quote from: flannj on May 16, 2017, 03:49:53 PM
Fork, you quoted MMFA.
Seriously?
This is my point.

Says who? Mother Jones?

Find me someone who does as thorough a monitoring of broadcasts and I'll take a look.

That's my whole point.
Who say's it's thorough or unbiased?
Confirmation bias is just as big a problem and I mean that from all sides.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: May 16, 2017, 04:12:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 16, 2017, 03:35:50 PM
Cable news with the exception of Fox tries to skew towards what viewers want as far as social news, economically they skew right of center. Bernie's economic platform that would most definitely hurt major media corporations financially got met with derision or just ignored entirely by news channels on either side. NBC/MSNBC/CNN etc will skew more liberal as far as diversity and social issues go simply because that appeals to the broadest number of viewers, since the Cranky Old White People demographic is owned by Fox.

I'm a cranky old white person and I despise FOX.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: May 16, 2017, 04:13:30 PM »

People don't turn in to hear everything they think is wrong.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 16, 2017, 04:13:30 PM

This is a large part of the problem. People would rather feel informed than actually be informed. Tuning in for daily affirmation achieves that.
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: May 16, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 16, 2017, 04:14:20 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 16, 2017, 04:13:30 PM

This is a large part of the problem. People would rather feel informed than actually be informed. Tuning in for daily affirmation achieves that.

Just another form of faith.

"Thy guy you hoped would make your life better is a fraud."

"Yes, I mean both the politicians and God."