News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016  ( 62,029 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 18, 2016, 09:28:58 AM
I used to consider myself a fiscal conservative, social liberal and now I support Sanders, which means I'm nothing like the man I used to be when I left Buttpuddle for bluer pastures. I mostly support him because he's not Hillary or Biden though. I think he would at least ATTEMPT to shake up the financial sector and try to avoid the same catastrophic fiscal policies that the Clintons and Republicans rode with pom poms waving right into a global economic meltdown. I think he'd have about as much success as Trump would have putting up a giant fence around the country but that's where I stand.

I've often wondered why people despise Obama so much - besides just outright racism - when if you compare him to the current field of lackwits the prospect of begging him to stay 8 more years looks like our best bet. I'm sure he'd refuse with double barreled middle digits blazing and we're completely fucked through the floor.

You guys with kids are braver than I am. I have about 30-40 years left on this rock before I check out and I'm not really looking forward to them.

DPD.  From an outsider's point of view, I reckon Obama is by some distance the most well-thought of US president we've seen since... well, I'm struggling to think of a better one.  Abraham Lincoln?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2016, 10:13:57 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 18, 2016, 10:03:08 AM
I used to consider myself a fiscal conservative, social liberal and now I support Sanders, which means I'm nothing like the man I used to be when I left Buttpuddle for bluer pastures. I mostly support him because he's not Hillary or Biden though. I think he would at least ATTEMPT to shake up the financial sector and try to avoid the same catastrophic fiscal policies that the Clintons and Republicans rode with pom poms waving right into a global economic meltdown. I think he'd have about as much success as Trump would have putting up a giant fence around the country but that's where I stand.

I've often wondered why people despise Obama so much - besides just outright racism - when if you compare him to the current field of lackwits the prospect of begging him to stay 8 more years looks like our best bet. I'm sure he'd refuse with double barreled middle digits blazing and we're completely fucked through the floor.

You guys with kids are braver than I am. I have about 30-40 years left on this rock before I check out and I'm not really looking forward to them.

DPD.  From an outsider's point of view, I reckon Obama is by some distance the most well-thought of US president we've seen since... well, I'm struggling to think of a better one.  Abraham Lincoln?

Intrepid Readers: FDR and Eisenhower

Ungrateful bastards.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 18, 2016, 09:57:22 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 18, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
I again say you've completely misinterpreted my absolutely tongue in cheek jingoism. At most I'm merely guilty of not being funny

As I can't possibly know what's going on inside your head, I take you at your word, and apologise for misjudging you.

This is now the second time I have lived in the state of Iowa during caucus season as all of the crazy whack job religious nutbags who think mexicans are hiding under every bed waiting to rape their daughters and ISIS is about to roll up in Islamo-Tanks any second and take away their bibles feel empowered and important and representative of "real 'merica".

I know multiple, actual people who are fine with boasting in public about voting for Trump. It'll be a long time before I say "GO USA" in any kind of sincerity.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »

DPD.  From an outsider's point of view, I reckon Obama is by some distance the most well-thought of US president we've seen since... well, I'm struggling to think of a better one.  Abraham Lincoln?

By some. But he's easily the most hated President ever by a unfortunately-sizeable contingent.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 19, 2016, 08:24:48 AM

By some. But he's easily the most hated President ever by a unfortunately-sizeable contingent.
And both sides are wrong as hell!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:16 AM »

And the depressing part is almost all of those people made up their minds that he was the WORST PRESIDENT EVAR before he had spent a day in office.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »

When making my (admittedly not deeply considered decision) to plump for Lincoln, it did indeed cross my mind to mention FDR or Ike, as Chuck Dickens suggested.  Would those two be more or less universally admired within the States?  If not, was there ever anybody that was?  JFK, maybe?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 19, 2016, 08:49:10 AM

When making my (admittedly not deeply considered decision) to plump for Lincoln, it did indeed cross my mind to mention FDR or Ike, as Chuck Dickens suggested.  Would those two be more or less universally admired within the States?  If not, was there ever anybody that was?  JFK, maybe?

I think FDR is remembered pretty fondly. You'll get a few conservatives saying he set us on the path to the welfare state blah blah but most of them even give him a pass for that becuase he gets credit for successfully steering us through WWII.

Ike is remembered more as the beloved general than president, weirdly enough. My impression is that his presidential administration is kind of remembered as kind of a laissez-faire caretaker. He was probably our last truly moderate republican, though. Nixon had some centrist policies but he was also pure fucking evil, so.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »

in Eisenhower's second term, he averaged a 60.5% approval rating according to Gallup's Website. That's unbelievably high by modern standards. He peaked at around 80% in 1957. So, holy shit did we like us some Ike. But more or less universally beloved for an entire term doesn't happen.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 19, 2016, 08:54:02 AM

in Eisenhower's second term, he averaged a 60.5% approval rating according to Gallup's Website. That's unbelievably high by modern standards. He peaked at around 80% in 1957. So, holy shit did we like us some Ike. But more or less universally beloved for an entire term doesn't happen.

There was the story that Mamie ran the country for a few weeks in 1955 when Ike was recuperating from his heart attack. Better her than Nixon, I guess.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2016, 09:00:42 AM »

I think almost all presidents are remembered more fondly as time goes on. Hell, there are even people who wax nostalgic about W. now and he was a disaster and it's only been 7 years. FDR is thought of pretty well now, but I don't think that was so universal during his time.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2016, 09:04:24 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 19, 2016, 09:00:42 AM

DPD.  From an outsider's point of view, I reckon Obama is by some distance the most well-thought of US president we've seen since... well, I'm struggling to think of a better one.  Abraham Lincoln?

I think almost all presidents are remembered more fondly as time goes on. Hell, there are even people who wax nostalgic about W. now and he was a disaster and it's only been 7 years. FDR is thought of pretty well now, but I don't think that was so universal during his time.

Well he did win four consecutive elections, so my guess is he was as close as anybody got. I think probably like a 60% approval rating is about as close to universally beloved as you get. Feels like 40% of Americans are going to hate any president that's not from their chosen party regardless of what he does, so you if you can consistently keep that 20% in the middle you're as good as we've got.

And then yeah, nostalgia slowly raises most approval ratings until now you'd probably get about 75% or better to say that FDR was a good president.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »

DPD.  From an outsider's point of view, I reckon Obama is by some distance the most well-thought of US president we've seen since... well, I'm struggling to think of a better one.  Abraham Lincoln?

If the esteemed collective Euro-conscience doesn't consider Bill Clinton one of the most effective Presidents of the last century, then fuckall.  For the record, I was not a huge fan of Clinton at the time (only voted for him once), but in retrospect he was pretty goddamn good.  I know a handful of thoughtful, intelligent conservatives who will concede that Clinton was a far better President than people were given him credit for in his time.  
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 19, 2016, 09:28:59 AM

If the esteemed collective Euro-conscience doesn't consider Bill Clinton one of the most effective Presidents of the last century, then fuckall.  For the record, I was not a huge fan of Clinton at the time (only voted for him once), but in retrospect he was pretty goddamn good.  I know a handful of thoughtful, intelligent conservatives who will concede that Clinton was a far better President than people were given him credit for in his time.  

Politically speaking, his presidency is very well thought of.  Like it or not, though, the whole Lewinsky thing tarnished an otherwise solid reputation.  Clinton is still the punchline to jokes over here.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 19, 2016, 09:44:56 AM
Quote from: PANK! on January 19, 2016, 09:28:59 AM

Politically speaking, his presidency is very well thought of.  Like it or not, though, the whole Lewinsky thing tarnished an otherwise solid reputation.  Clinton is still the punchline to jokes over here.

His role in de-regulating the financial sector and the ensuing global economic meltdown is underrated. Republicans in congress were equally culpable so the right never goes after the Clintons for that. Therefore it continues to get brushed under the rug. There are those of us who never bought into his bullshit and those who hated him for the wrong reasons. He's a slippery fuck, that's for sure and one wonders what his legacy would look like if he weren't a dishonest rogue. Probably, he wouldn't have been President at all.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.