News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016  ( 62,154 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »
If Hillary fails to inspire her base enough to vote for her...
If Trump has a greater crossover appeal than what we thought possible...
If Republican efforts to suppress minority votes pays off...

...if Trump ends up elected, I kind of think America gets what it deserves. It's like being in a relationship with a mentally unstable person. You can care tremendously for that person, and bust your ass to help him out and keep his life stable, but sooner or later it'll be time to give up and let go while trying to shelter yourself from the inevitable fallout.

With that in mind, I'll be stocking my bunker.
M'lady.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 02, 2016, 01:29:45 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on March 02, 2016, 01:09:53 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 02, 2016, 01:03:17 PM
You and your moderate republican friends are losing solely because you refuse to admit out loud, with the facts very loudly staring you in the face, that spending 8 years slowly stoking the fires of birthers and paranoid fears that Obama is a secret muslim who wants to take your guns was a bad idea and it created a base of radicals you can't control.

I don't know how we got here, but I want to elope with this SKOpost.

Me too.

Also, TJ. Come on out into the great wide world of Independence with me. It feels so good not to have to defend any of these assclowns ever again. And I even started going back to church after like 25 years of atheism/agnosticism/devil worship. It's right here for you man. It doesn't make you a quitter. Far from it.

Independence is admirable, but are you suggesting I just surrender the controls of AA Flight 11 peacefully and let the Trumpers take it into the North Tower without a fight? At least right now, you have Kasich and Rubio and even Carson and Cruz from which to choose.

I am interested to hear more about your return to church sometime in person, preferably in between pitches. I won't even wear tasseled loafers

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 02, 2016, 01:42:58 PM
You and your moderate republican friends are losing solely because you refuse to admit out loud, with the facts very loudly staring you in the face, that spending 8 years slowly stoking the fires of birthers and paranoid fears that Obama is a secret muslim who wants to take your guns was a bad idea and it created a base of radicals you can't control.

Me too.

Also, TJ. Come on out into the great wide world of Independence with me. It feels so good not to have to defend any of these assclowns ever again. And I even started going back to church after like 25 years of atheism/agnosticism/devil worship. It's right here for you man. It doesn't make you a quitter. Far from it.

Independence is admirable, but are you suggesting I just surrender the controls of AA Flight 11 peacefully and let the Trumpers take it into the North Tower without a fight? At least right now, you have Kasich and Rubio and even Carson and Cruz from which to choose.

I am interested to hear more about your return to church sometime in person, preferably in between pitches. I won't even wear tasseled loafers

The best outcome for Republicans might be that the party splinters. The wackos leave, moderate Republicans resume control, and perhaps pull in a lot of the moderate independents and conservative minorities who are currently unwelcome in the GOP.
M'lady.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2016, 01:44:19 PM »

Me too.

FWIW, Carson just dropped out.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 02, 2016, 01:44:15 PM

Me too.

The best outcome for Republicans might be that the party splinters. The wackos leave, moderate Republicans resume control, and perhaps pull in a lot of the moderate independents and conservative minorities who are currently unwelcome in the GOP.

Neither of those two groups (wackos, or white, male elites) would have enough votes to win an election.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2016, 01:45:36 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 02, 2016, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: Brownie on March 02, 2016, 01:29:15 PM
Quote from: Brownie on March 02, 2016, 12:58:04 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 02, 2016, 12:45:49 PM
Sure, those things, also probably virulent racism. That would have been in my top 3. I mean 20% of his supporters said they thought the goddamn Emancipation Proclamation was a mistake, but let's assume they're just really passionate about free trade issues.

No, they're passionate about closed borders and passionately against free trade. I mean the obsession with the size and shape of the wall that Mexico is somehow paying for and the eagerness Trump has for starting a trade war with China on Janaury 20 might be a window into some of the supporters' (and Trump's) soul, but starting out and castigating political opponents as all virulent racists tends to be an ineffective way to bring them around.

If you think Trump's supporters aren't largely racist, or that their objection to immigration isn't based more on racial than economic reasons (remember when he condemned all immigrants as rapists?), or that calling for a ban on literally anyone who professes the Islamic faith isn't racist, or the fact that he retweets white supremacist groups, and hired white supremacists to provide security at his rallies isn't racist, there's no point in having this discussion.

No one is trying to "bring around Trump supporters". They are radicals, and every rational argument made against him has been denounced by them as an attack by the "lying media" or "lying politicians". They can't be brought around, the only argument is keeping more people from falling into his fold.

That is a total strawman argument. Show me where me and my "moderate Republican friends" have been stoking that fire. Who has been stoking that fire and where has it gotten them? What are the most influential conservative groups out there? National Review? They were always critical of birthers. Weekly Standard? Wall Street Journal? AEI? Heritage? The Kochs?

Have they all been critical of Obama? Yes, because there's much to be critical of.

Trump is winning because of two reasons:

1) Everyone underestimated his ability to organize and run a successful campaign. Most thought he would lose interest (was doing this for some sort of publicity stunt), would implode, and/or would simply not be able to get the vote out among his traditionally non-voting constituents.
2) A crowded field split the vote 10-plus ways.

Denial is a helluva drug.  

Sure, the establishment underestimated him, but that's not why the GOP primaries are getting record turnout. Sure, he might lose one-on-one against Cruz or Rubio, but we'll well past that point.  

He's winning because there is a sizable population that believes in him and what he's saying. He's articulating their anger and doing it in a manner that feels liberating after all this time where society has told them they have to be PC about immigrants, gays, Muslims, women, etc.

If 1 and 2 didn't happen, Trump doesn't make it out of Iowa.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2016, 01:46:40 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 02, 2016, 01:44:19 PM

Me too.

Best news I've heard all day. I can't imagine any Carson supporters would support Trump, but weirder things have happened.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 02, 2016, 01:45:12 PM

Me too.

Neither of those two groups (wackos, or white, male elites) would have enough votes to win an election.

They shouldn't have enough votes to win an election now, except the GOP has allowed them to hijack their process. I have to believe that there are a lot of reasonable conservatives out there who feel powerless and sick to their stomachs over what's happening right now. I even think some of those people might vote for Hillary when push comes to shove. Certainly, it doesn't seem that many established Republicans are happy over how things are turning out right now.
M'lady.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on March 02, 2016, 01:46:40 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on March 02, 2016, 01:44:19 PM

Me too.

Best news I've heard all day. I can't imagine any Carson supporters would support Trump, but weirder things have happened.

Ben Carson's entire candidacy is proof of weirder things happening.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #324 on: March 02, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »

Me too.

A Hillary presidency would seem to be a boon for somebody because disaffected voters will turn where they will. Moderate Republicans though? I mean, they'd have to centerist, realists and inclusive to offset the Tea/Trump Partiers. Those people would seem to be kind of ok with whatever Hillary has cooking. Liberal Democrats who support Bernie and at once belived in Obama/Change/Hope/BLACKPRESIDENTZOMG are not going that way. There aren't enough rich people left, the upper middle class is evaporating. That ship has sailed.

So to answer TJ's question, yes. I think he should let the plane fly into the mountain. If he wants to stick around and hope for a miracle, ok... I'll still be here with my growing group of friends when he's ready. I'll have some scissors for the loafers too. Snip-snip, problem over.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #325 on: March 02, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 02, 2016, 01:53:29 PM

Me too.

A Hillary presidency would seem to be a boon for somebody because disaffected voters will turn where they will. Moderate Republicans though? I mean, they'd have to centerist, realists and inclusive to offset the Tea/Trump Partiers. Those people would seem to be kind of ok with whatever Hillary has cooking. Liberal Democrats who support Bernie and at once belived in Obama/Change/Hope/BLACKPRESIDENTZOMG are not going that way. There aren't enough rich people left, the upper middle class is evaporating. That ship has sailed.

So to answer TJ's question, yes. I think he should let the plane fly into the mountain. If he wants to stick around and hope for a miracle, ok... I'll still be here with my growing group of friends when he's ready. I'll have some scissors for the loafers too. Snip-snip, problem over.

Someone show me anyone currently in the Republican party that's willing to vote for Hillary.

If 8 years of Obama gave us Trump, I can't imagine what 4-8 years of Hillary is going to spawn. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #326 on: March 02, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 02, 2016, 02:03:22 PM

Me too.

Someone show me anyone currently in the Republican party that's willing to vote for Hillary.

If 8 years of Obama gave us Trump, I can't imagine what 4-8 years of Hillary is going to spawn. 

I have actually seen a few Republicans on Facebook say they'll vote for Clinton over Trump. I won't pretend there'll be millions like them, but I have seen it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #327 on: March 02, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 02, 2016, 02:08:38 PM

Me too.

I have actually seen a few Republicans on Facebook say they'll vote for Clinton over Trump. I won't pretend there'll be millions like them, but I have seen it.

And I wasn't really saying that would be a thing. I don't feel like the moderate GOP are going to migrate to her. But they will probably back some loser like Romney and ride off into the sunset for the next few cycles while the far right continues to seeth, the far left builds strength with the youth and the center-left spins its wheels trying to prop up Hillary's dead ass. That leaves us with Kanye versus Hitler in 2024.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 02, 2016, 02:12:15 PM

Me too.

And I wasn't really saying that would be a thing. I don't feel like the moderate GOP are going to migrate to her. But they will probably back some loser like Romney and ride off into the sunset for the next few cycles while the far right continues to seeth, the far left builds strength with the youth and the center-left spins its wheels trying to prop up Hillary's dead ass. That leaves us with Kanye versus Hitler in 2024.

I mean, we're already seeing it with the GOP saying they won't approve any Supreme Court nominee from Obama. 
What happens if Hillary wins? Do they just completely stop doing their job entirely? 

This is a legit concern for me, that nothing will ever get accomplished.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 02, 2016, 02:17:13 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on March 02, 2016, 02:12:15 PM

Me too.

I mean, we're already seeing it with the GOP saying they won't approve any Supreme Court nominee from Obama. 
What happens if Hillary wins? Do they just completely stop doing their job entirely? 

This is a legit concern for me, that nothing will ever get accomplished.

And that's our best-case scenario right this minute.