News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016  ( 62,027 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck It's Silent in Here 2016
« Reply #570 on: June 24, 2016, 09:05:28 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2016, 08:42:21 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 24, 2016, 08:31:58 AM
Jesus Fucking Christ, England.

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the issue (and how terrible the result is), but I'd still like to send out the TonkSignal for a more in-depth perspective.

Tonk slack-confirmed my assertion (BOLD) that Brexiters were British Trump supporters.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #571 on: June 24, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 24, 2016, 09:05:28 AM

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the issue (and how terrible the result is), but I'd still like to send out the TonkSignal for a more in-depth perspective.

Tonk slack-confirmed my assertion (BOLD) that Brexiters were British Trump supporters.
If any of you have pension plans invested in the Market I advise waiting a few days before you check it out.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #572 on: June 24, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 24, 2016, 09:22:13 AM

If any of you have pension plans invested in the Market I advise waiting a few days before you check it out.

This whole Brexit thing reminds me of the ending to The Graduate. After wildly and recklessly stopping a wedding, Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross hop onto a bus and escape. Then, as they are sitting there, still amazed at what they just did, they get this creeping and baffling feeling of, what do we do now?
M'lady.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #573 on: June 24, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 24, 2016, 10:06:58 AM

This whole Brexit thing reminds me of the ending to The Graduate. After wildly and recklessly stopping a wedding, Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross hop onto a bus and escape. Then, as they are sitting there, still amazed at what they just did, they get this creeping and baffling feeling of, what do we do now?

Watching the "Leave" voters react to the results reminds me of this part in the movie Rocky. Rocky is a down and out fighter in Philadelphia and through a series of circumstances, finds himself with the opportunity to fight Apollo Creed, a flamboyant but skilled boxer, for the heavyweight championship of the world. Nobody thinks that Rocky stands a change, but he believes in himself. And so he's training for the fight and there's this great scene where he's running through Philadelphia and he's pushing his body to the limits -- and this is all a metaphor for the doubts of everyone who thinks he can't give Creed a fight -- and at the end he runs up the stairs to the Philadelphia Library and he turns around and he's standing "above" the city. The music swells and Rocky raises his hands in victory because he feels that he's ready to prove everybody wrong.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #574 on: June 24, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 24, 2016, 11:12:18 AM

Watching the "Leave" voters react to the results reminds me of this part in the movie Rocky. Rocky is a down and out fighter in Philadelphia and through a series of circumstances, finds himself with the opportunity to fight Apollo Creed, a flamboyant but skilled boxer, for the heavyweight championship of the world. Nobody thinks that Rocky stands a change, but he believes in himself. And so he's training for the fight and there's this great scene where he's running through Philadelphia and he's pushing his body to the limits -- and this is all a metaphor for the doubts of everyone who thinks he can't give Creed a fight -- and at the end he runs up the stairs to the Philadelphia Library and he turns around and he's standing "above" the city. The music swells and Rocky raises his hands in victory because he feels that he's ready to prove everybody wrong.
If we are looking for movies to which to compare this calamity, I suggest that we look no further than "Independence Day".  Malicious aliens destroy the world as we know it.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #575 on: June 24, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 24, 2016, 11:20:40 AM

If we are looking for movies to which to compare this calamity, I suggest that we look no further than "Independence Day".  Malicious aliens destroy the world as we know it.

One of us is going to wind up riding a nuke like Slim Pickens.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #576 on: June 24, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »

To me, it's more like the movie Oceans 11. The films features a group of well-dressed criminals who are each sort of "out of the game." But the ringleader, played by George Clooney, rounds up the ol' gang for a big caper that is both lucrative financially by probably also -- admittedly -- a way to pay back the man who stole his ex-wife. They meet up in Vegas and plan out their strategy, which then unfolds neatly; they are able to pull off the heist through some very clever trickery. While the caper itself was successful, the ending of the film does hint at the future consequences of their actions and some possible sequels down the road.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #577 on: June 24, 2016, 12:33:45 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2016, 12:06:29 PM

To me, it's more like the movie Oceans 11. The films features a group of well-dressed criminals who are each sort of "out of the game." But the ringleader, played by George Clooney, rounds up the ol' gang for a big caper that is both lucrative financially by probably also -- admittedly -- a way to pay back the man who stole his ex-wife. They meet up in Vegas and plan out their strategy, which then unfolds neatly; they are able to pull off the heist through some very clever trickery. While the caper itself was successful, the ending of the film does hint at the future consequences of their actions and some possible sequels down the road.

I'm thinking it's more like "Breaking Away" wherein a local Bloomington, Indiana, kid, whose father helped cut the stones that were to become the foundation of many of the buildings on the campus of Indiana University, feels trapped by his local surroundings, and assumes the persona of an Italian bicycle racer to escape the mundane reality shared by all of the local "cutters"--the pejorative nickname our protagonist shares with his friends, coined as the result of their fathers' having all cut the stones from the local quarry for the university's benefit. Due to an altercation with IU students, the locals are granted an opportunity to participate in the annual university-sponsored "Little 500" bicycle race, over the objections of the preppy frat boys with whom they had an altercation.  In the end, vindication arrives in the form of an upset victory by the Cutters over the IU kids.

Wait--what're we doing?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #578 on: June 24, 2016, 12:36:32 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 24, 2016, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Eli on June 24, 2016, 12:06:29 PM

I'm thinking it's more like "Breaking Away" wherein a local Bloomington, Indiana, kid, whose father helped cut the stones that were to become the foundation of many of the buildings on the campus of Indiana University, feels trapped by his local surroundings, and assumes the persona of an Italian bicycle racer to escape the mundane reality shared by all of the local "cutters"--the pejorative nickname our protagonist shares with his friends, coined as the result of their fathers' having all cut the stones from the local quarry for the university's benefit. Due to an altercation with IU students, the locals are granted an opportunity to participate in the annual university-sponsored "Little 500" bicycle race, over the objections of the preppy frat boys with whom they had an altercation.  In the end, vindication arrives in the form of an upset victory by the Cutters over the IU kids.

Wait--what're we doing?

Making me laugh out loud.
M'lady.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #579 on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:24 PM »

Basically, the Brexit campaign was run by right-wing whackjob tories who, as far as I can make out, didn't desperately want to leave the EU but DO want power, so they adopted the campaign as a means to an end.  The referendum was only promised in the first place by Cameron to keep his back benches in line at the last election and get himself back into power, so the whole fucking thing has been driven by personalities, personal ambition and party politics.  It still needn't necessarily have been a problem, but Cameron subsequently took the issue far too lightly for far too long, allowing the Leave campaign and their foreign-backed media allies to gain significant momentum (mostly by lying and diversion).  By the time Cameron realised what was going on, it was too late.

What was going on was, to put it bluntly, lies, damned lies and obfuscation of the actual issues as the Brexit campaign played up to exactly the sort of things that Trump has been playing up to.  They have already this morning (!) reneged on two of their most significant promises.  Not that it really matters, though, because without wishing to be unkind about the stupid, stupid, STUPID CUNTS who have voted to exit the EU, they're either a) working class oiks who are thick as pig shit and are very happy to be given the chance to stick it to the man, to brown people and to other Johnny Foreigners; or b) Baby Boomers who FUCK YOU BECAUSE I'VE GOT MINE.  Actual issues were never the issue.

Frankly, I'd be quite happy to let the whole fucking lot of them stew in the fetid, festering pot of shitty fucking cancer that they've cooked up, but I'm worried that they'll start a chain reaction and that small-minded, right-wing, brainless cunts across Europe will now be allowed to do something that we can never undo.  From there, I can assure you, it's a very, very small step to another big war in Europe.

Mostly, though, I'm heartbroken for my nieces and cousins in England and Scotland who will never get the opportunities that I was afforded.  The European Union is a flawed but beautiful thing which has brought me much joy, my wife, children and the last sixteen wonderful years of my life... and my British family and friends are now all permanently locked on the outside of it.

I'm so angry, I can barely speak.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #580 on: June 24, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 24, 2016, 01:07:24 PM

Basically, the Brexit campaign was run by right-wing whackjob tories who, as far as I can make out, didn't desperately want to leave the EU but DO want power, so they adopted the campaign as a means to an end.  The referendum was only promised in the first place by Cameron to keep his back benches in line at the last election and get himself back into power, so the whole fucking thing has been driven by personalities, personal ambition and party politics.  It still needn't necessarily have been a problem, but Cameron subsequently took the issue far too lightly for far too long, allowing the Leave campaign and their foreign-backed media allies to gain significant momentum (mostly by lying and diversion).  By the time Cameron realised what was going on, it was too late.

What was going on was, to put it bluntly, lies, damned lies and obfuscation of the actual issues as the Brexit campaign played up to exactly the sort of things that Drumpf has been playing up to.  They have already this morning (!) reneged on two of their most significant promises.  Not that it really matters, though, because without wishing to be unkind about the stupid, stupid, STUPID CUNTS who have voted to exit the EU, they're either a) working class oiks who are thick as pig shit and are very happy to be given the chance to stick it to the man, to brown people and to other Johnny Foreigners; or b) Baby Boomers who FUCK YOU BECAUSE I'VE GOT MINE.  Actual issues were never the issue.

Frankly, I'd be quite happy to let the whole fucking lot of them stew in the fetid, festering pot of shitty fucking cancer that they've cooked up, but I'm worried that they'll start a chain reaction and that small-minded, right-wing, brainless cunts across Europe will now be allowed to do something that we can never undo.  From there, I can assure you, it's a very, very small step to another big war in Europe.

Mostly, though, I'm heartbroken for my nieces and cousins in England and Scotland who will never get the opportunities that I was afforded.  The European Union is a flawed but beautiful thing which has brought me much joy, my wife, children and the last sixteen wonderful years of my life... and my British family and friends are now all permanently locked on the outside of it.

Thoughts on Scotland and Northern Ireland potentially joining the Republic of Ireland as a sort of back-door way of rejoining the EU? I saw someone throw out a possible name of Celtic Union of National and Trade Solidarity which seems like a good idea.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #581 on: June 24, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »

What was going on was, to put it bluntly, lies, damned lies and obfuscation of the actual issues as the Brexit campaign played up to exactly the sort of things that Trump has been playing up to.  They have already this morning (!) reneged on two of their most significant promises.  Not that it really matters, though, because without wishing to be unkind about the stupid, stupid, STUPID CUNTS who have voted to exit the EU, they're either a) working class oiks who are thick as pig shit and are very happy to be given the chance to stick it to the man, to brown people and to other Johnny Foreigners; or b) Baby Boomers who FUCK YOU BECAUSE I'VE GOT MINE.  Actual issues were never the issue.

No chance the new PM who comes in this fall chooses not to invoke Article 50?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #582 on: June 24, 2016, 01:46:56 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 24, 2016, 01:27:51 PM

No chance the new PM who comes in this fall chooses not to invoke Article 50?

You mean Boris Johnson?

Is there any chance the "Stays" agitate for another referendum?  I'm pretty sure that prior to the vote there was some noise made on the "Leave" side about how they wouldn't consider a 52-48% vote against them to be overwhelming and might ask for another vote.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #583 on: June 24, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »

It bears repeating - too right-wing and cunty for David Cameron.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #584 on: June 24, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »