News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,257 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #810 on: August 17, 2015, 02:40:11 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 02:38:04 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 02:29:39 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 02:26:50 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 02:16:07 PM
Anyways, this is a dumb conversation.

Hmm.  Who was it who forced his way to the front seat, grabbed the wheel, and crashed it in the ditch toward Crazytown?  I can't be expected to remember what happened ten minutes ago, man.

I'm admitting we're in crazy town. I think you are all overestimating how committed I am to my hypothetical. I doubt Theo just up and walks away either. I was just saying that if the Cubs do win a title this year or next year and he opts to walk away after cementing himself as Curse Breaker, I get it and it wouldn't be Ricketts fault.

If my original statement had just been "I could see Theo leaving if they've won a series and he wants another challenge elsewhere, and if he does leave it wouldn't be because Ricketts is too cheap to extend him, but I'm about 90% sure he'll be extended" would that be okay? I'd like to amend my statement to that.

You mean the hypothetical you're still defending?  Right, we've totally overestimated your commitment.

Fair point, I just never meant for it to be "THIS IS WHAT I THINK HAPPENS" so much as "I guess it's not impossible Theo would leave". My bad.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #811 on: August 17, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 02:40:11 PM

Hmm.  Who was it who forced his way to the front seat, grabbed the wheel, and crashed it in the ditch toward Crazytown?  I can't be expected to remember what happened ten minutes ago, man.

I'm admitting we're in crazy town. I think you are all overestimating how committed I am to my hypothetical. I doubt Theo just up and walks away either. I was just saying that if the Cubs do win a title this year or next year and he opts to walk away after cementing himself as Curse Breaker, I get it and it wouldn't be Ricketts fault.

If my original statement had just been "I could see Theo leaving if they've won a series and he wants another challenge elsewhere, and if he does leave it wouldn't be because Ricketts is too cheap to extend him, but I'm about 90% sure he'll be extended" would that be okay? I'd like to amend my statement to that.

You mean the hypothetical you're still defending?  Right, we've totally overestimated your commitment.

Fair point, I just never meant for it to be "THIS IS WHAT I THINK HAPPENS" so much as "I guess it's not impossible Theo would leave". My bad.

SKO vs. Sterling has now reached "Colts/Patriots 2015 AFC Championship Game" status. At halftime I was thinking this was going to be a game but now SKO's getting his arse felt by a better, more equipped, more physical opponent. Check the balls if you want, SKO. They're draped across your forehead.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #812 on: August 17, 2015, 03:40:24 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 17, 2015, 03:29:11 PM

SKO vs. Sterling has now reached "Colts/Patriots 2015 AFC Championship Game" status. At halftime I was thinking this was going to be a game but now SKO's getting his arse felt by a better, more equipped, more physical opponent. Check the balls if you want, SKO. They're draped across your forehead.

I thought you were going to say you wanted them both to lose.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #813 on: August 17, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »

You either die a PenFoe hating hero or post so goddamn much you see yourself become the villain in an argument with the fucking Northwestern kid.  Sigh.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #814 on: August 17, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
We're also in the commonly-seen territory where Chuck never circles back to a thread in which he made some bizarre comment, probably thankful that things were derailed.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #815 on: August 17, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 17, 2015, 09:30:28 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 17, 2015, 09:25:01 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 09:21:53 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 17, 2015, 09:20:04 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 17, 2015, 08:53:39 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 08:37:08 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 17, 2015, 08:27:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 17, 2015, 07:26:56 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 03:10:13 AM
Professionally, I can't see Theo leaving things as they are. His work isn't done.

I could see it, if only because he may want to see his pal Jed finally get the credit, having built a base for sustained success.

Look, I'm really happy with everything Theo Epstein has done here, and I'm sure he's an OK guy. But he's never been particularly long on humility.

Yeah but if the Cubs win the series this year, or next year, or in 2017 or 2018 after Theo leaves, he's going to get the credit. This will always be the team that Theo built. Leaving just ensures that maybe people will at least remember that Jed did some of it, too.

I don't think he's going to ride off into the sunset to play golf just to give his buddy a shot at the spotlight. People like him are way too driven.

He wouldn't go play golf. He'd go do something like be the president of HBO or something.  Go look at a guy like Mark Shapiro for the model.
.....did you think that Mark Shapiro is the one that's currently the president of the Indians? Or did you just randomly pick a TV sports executive?

No, I picked the guy that used to work at ESPN, invented Sports Century, then ran an in-person consumer entertainment company, who left to run sports media.

From an customer economic model standpoint, amusement parks and sports teams are very similar.

And he grew up with my sister.

I don't see how he parallels Theo at all. He worked in one industry for his entire career and now ... he still works in that same industry.

Six Flags is media?  The only site I'll ever need!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #816 on: August 17, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 17, 2015, 04:43:42 PM
Professionally, I can't see Theo leaving things as they are. His work isn't done.

I could see it, if only because he may want to see his pal Jed finally get the credit, having built a base for sustained success.

Look, I'm really happy with everything Theo Epstein has done here, and I'm sure he's an OK guy. But he's never been particularly long on humility.

Yeah but if the Cubs win the series this year, or next year, or in 2017 or 2018 after Theo leaves, he's going to get the credit. This will always be the team that Theo built. Leaving just ensures that maybe people will at least remember that Jed did some of it, too.

I don't think he's going to ride off into the sunset to play golf just to give his buddy a shot at the spotlight. People like him are way too driven.

He wouldn't go play golf. He'd go do something like be the president of HBO or something.  Go look at a guy like Mark Shapiro for the model.
.....did you think that Mark Shapiro is the one that's currently the president of the Indians? Or did you just randomly pick a TV sports executive?

No, I picked the guy that used to work at ESPN, invented Sports Century, then ran an in-person consumer entertainment company, who left to run sports media.

From an customer economic model standpoint, amusement parks and sports teams are very similar.

I don't see how he parallels Theo at all. He worked in one industry for his entire career and now ... he still works in that same industry.

Six Flags is media?  The only site I'll ever need!

So, people who don't run Major League Baseball teams switch careers sometimes. Some of them happen to be Jewish and may or may not have gotten head from someone's sister that we know. And they're exactly like Theo Epstein, jerks.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #817 on: August 17, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on August 17, 2015, 04:43:42 PM

Six Flags is media?  The only site I'll ever need!

I think it's pretty common to hear entertainment/media combined as one industry. And even if you split them out in a nitpicking exercise, we're not talking about a drastic career change here.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #818 on: August 17, 2015, 07:55:35 PM »
Can we all just agree to step away from this thread and pretend today's posts just never happened?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #819 on: August 17, 2015, 08:03:01 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 17, 2015, 07:55:35 PM
Can we all just agree to step away from this thread and pretend today's posts just never happened?

This is what happens when the Cubs aren't playing.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #820 on: August 17, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »

I didn't read any of them. I feel better for it

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #821 on: August 17, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 08:03:01 PM

These day offs are just going to get worse and worse as we approach season's end, aren't they?

Thank gord for the Cleveland and KC rainouts from earlier this year.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #822 on: August 17, 2015, 08:58:01 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 17, 2015, 08:30:36 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 17, 2015, 08:03:01 PM

These day offs are just going to get worse and worse as we approach season's end, aren't they?

Thank gord for the Cleveland and KC rainouts from earlier this year.

I did mow my lawn when I came home from work.
Also did some manscaping edging, weeding and trimming.
All the the things I would have put off until another day if there was a game this evening.

..cleans kitchen pantry, paces around house, thinks about that bedroom ceiling fan and when was the last time it got vacuumed?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #823 on: August 17, 2015, 09:32:40 PM »

I approve of this terminology.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #824 on: September 29, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
QuoteAmazingly, Ricketts pulled out the old line Monday that spending money on players is not a panacea.

"The correlation between the dollars you spend and the wins you get on the field is going down every single year," he said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-theo-epstein-can-name-his-price-20150929-column.html