News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Your 2011-12 NFL Thread: Lock Out Fever, Catch It!  ( 41,905 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Your 2011-12 NFL Thread: Lock Out Fever, Catch It!
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 25, 2011, 08:48:24 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2011, 07:35:43 AM
Supposedly Cutler dumped her because he couldn't deal with all of the "hoopla." Why's Jay so wary of media attention?

What else did Godboy have to say about it?

Not much, far as I can tell. Someone said they hoped that with the lockout ending he wouldn't have to cover stupid shit like this and he rightfully lamented that he'd have to have addressed this either way, because this fanbase is beyond fucking stupid. Speaking of which, Bernstein had a good piece today.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »
Time to start making money again!

SKO, if you were Jerry Angelo (shudder), what would be your first five moves?  Don't say suicide.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2011, 02:51:03 PM

SKO, if you were Jerry Angelo (shudder), what would be your first five moves?  Don't say suicide.

1. Give Cutler a lifetime contract, inclusive with sideline blowjobs from his favorite Iowan.
2-5. Spend all additional money on offensive lineman and wide receivers.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 25, 2011, 02:54:43 PM

1. Give Cutler a lifetime contract, inclusive with sideline blowjobs from his favorite Iowan.

I'm not necessarily against Pen's plan. But my five moves:

1. They only need to re-sign three of their own guys: Kreutz, Pisa, and Anthony Adams. We just had this talk in the sbox, but I'm not in favor of them overpaying for Kreutz. If he demands too much, gamble on a cheaper stopgap for a year, since there are very few centers worth elite money and Kreutz ain't one of them. I'd take Pisa over Roach because Roach is young and probably wants a multi-year deal but he's worth committing to as a starter and Pisa plays well when he's healthy and you can just get him a one year deal for the third year in a row. Anthony Adams is a good nose guard and a veteran to pair with the youth they have at the 3-technique in Paea, Melton, and Toeiana.

If they get those three guys and don't have to find their replacements in free agency, these would be ideal:

2. Starting guard over everything else. Plenty of under-30 guys with lots of starting experience. Some meatheads want them to pay Mankins if the Patriots take the tag off, but I'd be more in favor of a younger guy they can get for multiple years. Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock of Atlanta would be my top two since I don't think Tampa will let Davin Joseph sneak away.

3. Sign at least one wide receiver, obviously. The talk about getting a big 6'4'' guy isn't likely to pan out since the only one who might fit into Martz's offense is Rice and they won't have a bidding war for a guy with his injury history. I've made my hopes for Braylon Edwards known, but if they're just going to stick with guys who are fits for the offense, at least get a better short guy, so probably Santana Moss or dealing a low round pick for Steve Smith. I'd also be okay with taking a chance on Ochocinco if Cincinnati releases him. Given the choice of those three guys I'd probably gamble the most on Steve Smith.

4. Even if they bring back Anthony Adams, I'd probably look at one more defensive tackle since Lovie can never have enough depth there (I'd be willing to bet that the Bears will only keep two QBs active on gameday since the new rules did away with the emergency QB roster slot and allow teams 46 players on the active roster and that Lovie will use that extra roster spot for a DT). Brandon Mebane of the Seahawks is one name I've heard that would be a nice, affordable run-stuffer.

5. Find a reasonably priced cornerback that they can throw into the competition with Tim Jennings and Zack Bowman. DJ Moore is locked in at Nickel so he's not going to compete, but I don't trust either of those two very much and P'Nut's injury history is a concern.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 25, 2011, 03:47:27 PM

1. They only need to re-sign three of their own guys: Kreutz, Pisa, and Anthony Adams. We just had this talk in the sbox, but I'm not in favor of them overpaying for Kreutz. If he demands too much, gamble on a cheaper stopgap for a year, since there are very few centers worth elite money and Kreutz ain't one of them. I'd take Pisa over Roach because Roach is young and probably wants a multi-year deal but he's worth committing to as a starter and Pisa plays well when he's healthy and you can just get him a one year deal for the third year in a row. Anthony Adams is a good nose guard and a veteran to pair with the youth they have at the 3-technique in Paea, Melton, and Toeiana.

If they get those three guys and don't have to find their replacements in free agency, these would be ideal:

2. Starting guard over everything else. Plenty of under-30 guys with lots of starting experience. Some meatheads want them to pay Mankins if the Patriots take the tag off, but I'd be more in favor of a younger guy they can get for multiple years. Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock of Atlanta would be my top two since I don't think Tampa will let Davin Joseph sneak away.

3. Sign at least one wide receiver, obviously. The talk about getting a big 6'4'' guy isn't likely to pan out since the only one who might fit into Martz's offense is Rice and they won't have a bidding war for a guy with his injury history. I've made my hopes for Braylon Edwards known, but if they're just going to stick with guys who are fits for the offense, at least get a better short guy, so probably Santana Moss or dealing a low round pick for Steve Smith. I'd also be okay with taking a chance on Ochocinco if Cincinnati releases him. Given the choice of those three guys I'd probably gamble the most on Steve Smith.

4. Even if they bring back Anthony Adams, I'd probably look at one more defensive tackle since Lovie can never have enough depth there (I'd be willing to bet that the Bears will only keep two QBs active on gameday since the new rules did away with the emergency QB roster slot and allow teams 46 players on the active roster and that Lovie will use that extra roster spot for a DT). Brandon Mebane of the Seahawks is one name I've heard that would be a nice, affordable run-stuffer.

5. Find a reasonably priced cornerback that they can throw into the competition with Tim Jennings and Zack Bowman. DJ Moore is locked in at Nickel so he's not going to compete, but I don't trust either of those two very much and P'Nut's injury history is a concern.

Free agent Mike Sims-Walker told the Chicago Tribune on Monday that he'd love to play for the Bears.

6'2, 212, coming off a down year, could come on the (relative) cheap.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-parting-ways-with-punter-maynard-20110725,0,4590542.story

QuoteThe Chicago Bears have informed veteran punter Brad Maynard that they intend to move on without him rather than signing the free agent to a new deal, according to a source close to the player.

Maynard, 37, spent 10 seasons with the Bears after starting his career with the New York Giants. He received the call from the team late Monday afternoon.

Apparently, the Bears are prepared for a youth movement at the position after signing 28-year-old Richmond McGee to a two-year contract this offseason. The Bears apparently are also eyeing veteran Steve Weatherford, 28, as Maynard's replacement.

Maynard wasn't satisfied with his performance last season — his 10th with the Bears — as he finished 32nd in the league in punt average (40.1 yards) and 29th in net average (35.2). His recovery from right hip surgery affected his punting, and weather and field conditions late in the season, along with some pooch punts at the start, didn't help his statistics.

But Maynard still is regarded as one of the finest directional punters around, and he stands second-best all time with 407 punts inside the 20 in 14 seasons, behind the retired Jeff Feagles (554).
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 25, 2011, 08:43:08 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-parting-ways-with-punter-maynard-20110725,0,4590542.story

QuoteThe Chicago Bears have informed veteran punter Brad Maynard that they intend to move on without him rather than signing the free agent to a new deal, according to a source close to the player.

Maynard, 37, spent 10 seasons with the Bears after starting his career with the New York Giants. He received the call from the team late Monday afternoon.

Apparently, the Bears are prepared for a youth movement at the position after signing 28-year-old Richmond McGee to a two-year contract this offseason. The Bears apparently are also eyeing veteran Steve Weatherford, 28, as Maynard's replacement.

Maynard wasn't satisfied with his performance last season — his 10th with the Bears — as he finished 32nd in the league in punt average (40.1 yards) and 29th in net average (35.2). His recovery from right hip surgery affected his punting, and weather and field conditions late in the season, along with some pooch punts at the start, didn't help his statistics.

But Maynard still is regarded as one of the finest directional punters around, and he stands second-best all time with 407 punts inside the 20 in 14 seasons, behind the retired Jeff Feagles (554).

I-L-L!

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 25, 2011, 10:25:34 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 25, 2011, 08:43:08 PM

I-L-L!

D-U-I!  Wait, what were we doing again?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 25, 2011, 05:38:45 PM

Free agent Mike Sims-Walker told the Chicago Tribune on Monday that he'd love to play for the Bears.

Bears also possibly interested in Roy Williams since his only good year came with Martz as his OC. They could do worse, but I fucking hate that guy.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2011, 04:02:37 PM

SKO, if you were Jerry Angelo (shudder), what would be your first five moves?  Don't say suicide.

Bears also possibly interested in Roy Williams since his only good year came with Martz as his OC. They could do worse, but I fucking hate that guy.

Intrepid Reader: Apex

THIS guy?

NO.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2011, 04:02:37 PM

Roy Williams. Guh.

Speaking of guh, surprised you haven't weighed in on this. We spent 4 years watching him flounder, only to lose him after the 1 year when he figured shit out.

QuoteIn a move that signals the Bears are not likely to re-sign Danieal Manning, veteran Chris Harris will be moved to his more natural strong safety position when the Bears hit the practice field for the first time Saturday in Bourbonnais, Ill.

That will clear an opening for Major Wright, the club's third-round pick a year ago, to slide into the starting lineup at free safety.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 26, 2011, 08:03:30 PM
Roy Williams. Guh.

Speaking of guh, surprised you haven't weighed in on this. We spent 4 years watching him flounder, only to lose him after the 1 year when he figured shit out.

QuoteIn a move that signals the Bears are not likely to re-sign Danieal Manning, veteran Chris Harris will be moved to his more natural strong safety position when the Bears hit the practice field for the first time Saturday in Bourbonnais, Ill.

That will clear an opening for Major Wright, the club's third-round pick a year ago, to slide into the starting lineup at free safety.

I feel like I've mentioned it a couple times this offseeason somewhere. Perhaps some other place on the internet where I'm known to discuss my opinions on football from time to time. Either way, you can ask Dolan. I complained about it on twitter and at Tonkfest. Fuck that guy. Four years where Lovie forced him into the fucking lineup and traded away a productive player in Harris the first time and he jets as soon as Lovie's annoying and constant faith in him pays off. Hope he gets funny cancer.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »
DPD. Bears also appear to be interested in Jason Babin. It'd be interesting to see if he could repeat last year's 12 sack season (at age 30), but it's not a terrible idea. Get someone else to take attention away from Peppers and you can move Izzy back into the rotation between DT and DE and improve the pass rush at both positions.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
Football stuff in the news.  Actual stuff about football players and money and signing deals and reporting to practice facilities.

8================================================D
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2011, 08:17:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 27, 2011, 07:34:54 AM
DPD. Bears also appear to be interested in Jason Babin. It'd be interesting to see if he could repeat last year's 12 sack season (at age 30), but it's not a terrible idea. Get someone else to take attention away from Peppers and you can move Izzy back into the rotation between DT and DE and improve the pass rush at both positions.

He averaged 3.5 his first 5 years in the league.  He sucks and was a fluke.  Like Tommie Harris.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.