News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 364,202 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2085 on: April 01, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 10:23:30 AM
Yeah but other teams know how to draft well, too, and are already good and loaded with players.

No they don't. Theo patented drafting and developing good players. No one else can do it now without paying royalties to the Cubs.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2086 on: April 01, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 01, 2015, 11:11:43 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 10:23:30 AM
Yeah but other teams know how to draft well, too, and are already good and loaded with players.

No they don't. Theo patented drafting and developing good players. No one else can do it now without paying royalties to the Cubs.

Phew! I was worried when I saw what SKO posted.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2087 on: April 01, 2015, 11:59:14 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 01, 2015, 10:33:33 AM
This whole debate is Desipio's April Fool right

It's a shame that CT has retired as arbiter of irony because I'd be very interested to hear what he had to say about this post.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2088 on: April 01, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 01, 2015, 11:59:14 AM

It's a shame that CT has retired as arbiter of irony because I'd be very interested to hear what he had to say about this post.

It was enough to have RV rolling over in his grave.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2089 on: April 01, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 01, 2015, 11:59:14 AM

Maybe that was the true April Fool's joke.

It's not, though.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2090 on: April 01, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
DPD.  Joe Sheehan on Addison Russell:

QuoteIs there some reason other than tenure why Javier Baez is thought of as ahead of Addison Russell? Russell's the far better shortstop and the more polished hitter, and only a spring injury prevented him from advancing to the majors last year. Russell doesn't have Baez's bat speed; on the other hand, he can tell a ball from a strike and has internalized the idea that you don't have to swing at every pitch. The bigger issue, to me, is defense. Russell is absolutely a shortstop in the majors, and of the Cubs' three candidates for the position, he's the best defender by far. Russell hit .302/.355/.529 at Double-A last year, with reasonable plate discipline numbers. For all of the attention paid to Kris Bryant and his demotion this spring, I'm far more interested in seeing how the Cubs handle their three shortstops, whether they quickly come around to the idea that Russell is the future, and how they align the other two with that idea in mind.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2091 on: April 01, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 01, 2015, 12:40:50 PM

QuoteIs there some reason other than tenure why Javier Baez is thought of as ahead of Addison Russell? Russell's the far better shortstop and the more polished hitter, and only a spring injury prevented him from advancing to the majors last year. Russell doesn't have Baez's bat speed; on the other hand, he can tell a ball from a strike and has internalized the idea that you don't have to swing at every pitch. The bigger issue, to me, is defense. Russell is absolutely a shortstop in the majors, and of the Cubs' three candidates for the position, he's the best defender by far. Russell hit .302/.355/.529 at Double-A last year, with reasonable plate discipline numbers. For all of the attention paid to Kris Bryant and his demotion this spring, I'm far more interested in seeing how the Cubs handle their three shortstops, whether they quickly come around to the idea that Russell is the future, and how they align the other two with that idea in mind.

I wouldn't agree that Russell is "by far" better, defensively, than either of the other two, let alone Baez.

Still, 1060*'s looking pretty damn legit.

*Pen-approved nickname
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2092 on: April 01, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 01, 2015, 12:53:25 PM

I wouldn't agree that Russell is "by far" better, defensively, than either of the other two, let alone Baez.

*Pen-approved nickname

Who is Sheehan talking to that views Baez as ahead of Russell, anyway?

Pretty sure Russell is ranked as a top five prospect by nearly everyone, which Javy is not, and just based on my own discussions with people and this messageboard it sure seems that most Cubs fans would rather part with Baez or Castro than part with Russell in all of their imaginary trades. Seems like a weird strawman he's arguing with.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2093 on: April 01, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 12:57:36 PM

*Pen-approved nickname

Pretty sure Russell is ranked as a top five prospect by nearly everyone, which Javy is not, and just based on my own discussions with people and this messageboard it sure seems that most Cubs fans would rather part with Baez or Castro than part with Russell in all of their imaginary trades. Seems like a weird strawman he's arguing with.

I don't know that he's arguing with a straw man; I read that as stating the simple fact that Baez was promoted first.  Therefore, in most casual fans' minds — unlike the minds of pathetically obsessed sadsacks like us — he's ahead of Russell.  Javier isn't ranked as a top five prospect anymore because he exceeded rookie limits in 2014.  No longer a prospect.  He was right there at the top of the boards before then though.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2094 on: April 01, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 01, 2015, 01:09:34 PM

*Pen-approved nickname

I don't know that he's arguing with a straw man; I read that as stating the simple fact that Baez was promoted first.  Therefore, in most casual fans' minds — unlike the minds of pathetically obsessed sadsacks like us — he's ahead of Russell.  Javier isn't ranked as a top five prospect anymore because he exceeded rookie limits in 2014.  No longer a prospect.  He was right there at the top of the boards before then though.

Oh well it seems like he wasted a lot of time typing when he could have written this then:

QuoteIs there some reason other than tenure why Javier Baez is thought of as ahead of Addison Russell?

No, no there is not.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2095 on: April 01, 2015, 01:25:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 01:20:40 PM

*Pen-approved nickname

Oh well it seems like he wasted a lot of time typing when he could have written this then:

QuoteIs there some reason other than tenure why Javier Baez is thought of as ahead of Addison Russell?

No, no there is not.

Ok.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2096 on: April 01, 2015, 02:15:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 01, 2015, 01:20:40 PM

*Pen-approved nickname

No, no there is not.

What Sterling said.

Also, CT, is it ironic that SKO is criticizing a writer for their lack of brevity?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2097 on: April 01, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
The real April Fool's joke is that you guys are taking Joe Fucking Sheehan seriously, right?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2098 on: April 01, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »

Of the three, Russell has the lowest range factor and Baez has the highest.

I don't think the Cubs are in any danger no matter who plays SS out of those three, though. And the fact that Russell "internalized the idea" of not swinging at everything and can tell balls from strikes is something something call him up.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2099 on: April 01, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 01, 2015, 10:25:23 AM
Chicago does have access to a huge fresh water source though, so it's going to be prime real estate when the world economy collapses in the next few years. That should be boner time indeed.

And we've already rigged everything to float all of our piss and shit down to St. Louis.

*Pen-approved nickname

There's a feather in someone's cap.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.