News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears - Redskins 10/24/10: Affirmative Action QB comes back to Chicago  ( 24,981 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears - Redskins 10/24/10: Affirmative Action QB comes back to Chicago
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
Quote from: Night Man on October 25, 2010, 10:39:01 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 25, 2010, 09:45:02 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 25, 2010, 09:28:54 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 24, 2010, 05:54:51 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 24, 2010, 03:06:49 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 24, 2010, 03:04:45 PM
Would I be overreacting to say that I'm giving up on Cutler winning a Super Bowl as a Bear?

No. Cutler seems to find ways to lose games for the Bears instead of win them.

Million dollar arm, ten cent head.

In any event, this should be the final season for Lovie Smith and/or Angelo.

Let me clarify. I give Cutler maybe a third at most of the blame for the turnover shitshow that we've seen in his Bears career.

My high school memories aren't nearly as vivid as Yeti's, so I'm not sure that I'm qualified to comment on QB mechanics. But to me, Cutler shows a tendency to get lazy with his reads and mechanics when things aren't going his way. And that tendency gets magnified like an ant under 6th grade Tdubbs's magnifying glass when you put him on a team with no continuity on the offensive coaching staff, an offensive line more disgusting than Huey's next fistula, and a group of wide receivers about as agressive as BC at a Christian Radio Professionals Mixer.

But just because the guy is surrounded by shit doesn't mean we can't at least try to judge his individual performance. Compare him to a hateworthy asshat like Rodgers, who over the last couple seasons has had an offensive line that's probably comparable to Cutler's in shittiness, but has only turned the ball over 18 times in the midst of 64 sacks. Cutler on the other hand - sacked 62 times while turning it over 37 times. A rough comparison but still not good.

I'm sure if the Bears cleaned house after this season, brought in a GM who could draft some offensive linemen and receivers who were worth a shit, and a coach/offensive coordinator who could coach them up, this offense could be ready to win in a few years. But if Cutler is surrounded by this ineptitude for much longer, I wonder if he might just fall into a permanent funk of sulking and sucking. I wouldn't necessarily blame him.

http://startkyleorton.blogspot.com/2010/05/jay-cutler-and-aaron-rodgers-or-all.html Since I've long since given up any pretense of Not being a blogwhore, I'll just link to that rather than copy and paste my explanation of why Aaron Rodgers offensive line was much, much better than Jay Cutler's last year regardless of any straight up comparison of sacks. Mostly the fact that Rodgers chucked it deep often and the Packers actually had a functioning run game. I'd throw out last year and look at the situation this year when comparing them, as both are on teams that have largely abandoned the run game due to injury or ineffectiveness and both still have leaky pass protection issues

Rodgers: 14 sacks, 9 turnovers
Cutler: 27 Sacks, 10 turnovers.

Rodgers is still the better QB, but he's been much more turnover prone this year because his offensive line this year is actually bad as people made it out to be and Green Bay's in the same situation as Chicago, where chucking it 35-40 times without the consistent threat of a running attack is the only way to move the ball, and defenses know it. Frankly, Jay sucked yesterday. It was embarrassing and should never happen again. I've got no qualms about saying that. What makes me so fucking tired (NOTE: RV's not doing this, nor am I accusing him of it) is that I hate how one bad game in 6 starts once again overrules everything he's done since the Minnesota game last year and invalidates him as a professional QB in the eyes of the mob. I'm done dealing with it. If you hate Jay Cutler, fine. I had to listen to a bunch of idiots in an airport in Seattle of all places blame him for every ill in the Bears universe BEFORE he threw pick #1. I can't win with these mouthbreathers. This city doesn't deserve a quarterback.

That's not the problem for me. For whatever reason Jay is careless with the ball in the red zone. One would think after being criticized for turnover the ball over in the red zone multiple times last year he would learn and be more careful. There he is again yesterday throwing one up for grabs of which was the difference in the game. Everything else is forgivable, but he has to stop giving the ball away in the red zone with stupid throws.

You might say he has a million-dollar arm and a ten-cent head.

I probably won't, though.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 25, 2010, 10:40:09 AM
Quote from: Night Man on October 25, 2010, 10:39:01 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 25, 2010, 09:45:02 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 25, 2010, 09:28:54 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 24, 2010, 05:54:51 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 24, 2010, 03:06:49 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 24, 2010, 03:04:45 PM
Would I be overreacting to say that I'm giving up on Cutler winning a Super Bowl as a Bear?

No. Cutler seems to find ways to lose games for the Bears instead of win them.

Million dollar arm, ten cent head.

In any event, this should be the final season for Lovie Smith and/or Angelo.

Let me clarify. I give Cutler maybe a third at most of the blame for the turnover shitshow that we've seen in his Bears career.

My high school memories aren't nearly as vivid as Yeti's, so I'm not sure that I'm qualified to comment on QB mechanics. But to me, Cutler shows a tendency to get lazy with his reads and mechanics when things aren't going his way. And that tendency gets magnified like an ant under 6th grade Tdubbs's magnifying glass when you put him on a team with no continuity on the offensive coaching staff, an offensive line more disgusting than Huey's next fistula, and a group of wide receivers about as agressive as BC at a Christian Radio Professionals Mixer.

But just because the guy is surrounded by shit doesn't mean we can't at least try to judge his individual performance. Compare him to a hateworthy asshat like Rodgers, who over the last couple seasons has had an offensive line that's probably comparable to Cutler's in shittiness, but has only turned the ball over 18 times in the midst of 64 sacks. Cutler on the other hand - sacked 62 times while turning it over 37 times. A rough comparison but still not good.

I'm sure if the Bears cleaned house after this season, brought in a GM who could draft some offensive linemen and receivers who were worth a shit, and a coach/offensive coordinator who could coach them up, this offense could be ready to win in a few years. But if Cutler is surrounded by this ineptitude for much longer, I wonder if he might just fall into a permanent funk of sulking and sucking. I wouldn't necessarily blame him.

http://startkyleorton.blogspot.com/2010/05/jay-cutler-and-aaron-rodgers-or-all.html Since I've long since given up any pretense of Not being a blogwhore, I'll just link to that rather than copy and paste my explanation of why Aaron Rodgers offensive line was much, much better than Jay Cutler's last year regardless of any straight up comparison of sacks. Mostly the fact that Rodgers chucked it deep often and the Packers actually had a functioning run game. I'd throw out last year and look at the situation this year when comparing them, as both are on teams that have largely abandoned the run game due to injury or ineffectiveness and both still have leaky pass protection issues

Rodgers: 14 sacks, 9 turnovers
Cutler: 27 Sacks, 10 turnovers.

Rodgers is still the better QB, but he's been much more turnover prone this year because his offensive line this year is actually bad as people made it out to be and Green Bay's in the same situation as Chicago, where chucking it 35-40 times without the consistent threat of a running attack is the only way to move the ball, and defenses know it. Frankly, Jay sucked yesterday. It was embarrassing and should never happen again. I've got no qualms about saying that. What makes me so fucking tired (NOTE: RV's not doing this, nor am I accusing him of it) is that I hate how one bad game in 6 starts once again overrules everything he's done since the Minnesota game last year and invalidates him as a professional QB in the eyes of the mob. I'm done dealing with it. If you hate Jay Cutler, fine. I had to listen to a bunch of idiots in an airport in Seattle of all places blame him for every ill in the Bears universe BEFORE he threw pick #1. I can't win with these mouthbreathers. This city doesn't deserve a quarterback.

That's not the problem for me. For whatever reason Jay is careless with the ball in the red zone. One would think after being criticized for turnover the ball over in the red zone multiple times last year he would learn and be more careful. There he is again yesterday throwing one up for grabs of which was the difference in the game. Everything else is forgivable, but he has to stop giving the ball away in the red zone with stupid throws.

You might say he has a million-dollar arm and a ten-cent head.

I probably won't, though.

Great. Now Cutler has to wear Susan Sarandon's panties. I hate this team.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 25, 2010, 10:39:23 AM
The 4-0 start notwithstanding, this never was a playoff caliber team.  So what difference does this loss make?

It was a 4-1 start. And what exactly is playoff-caliber in the NFC? The World Champs got pasted at home by Cleveland and Seattke holds a commanding lead out west. I guess the Falcons are the big dick now? Nothing is fucked here dude. It's not exactly fun to watch, this new NFL where every team is mortal as dick and anybody can back into the playoffs at 9-7 and contest the Super Bowl down to the final play. But it's something something and at least all the players are not on PED's.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 25, 2010, 10:46:29 AM
The 4-0 start notwithstanding, this never was a playoff caliber team.  So what difference does this loss make?

It was a 4-1 start. And what exactly is playoff-caliber in the NFC? The World Champs got pasted at home by Cleveland and Seattke holds a commanding lead out west. I guess the Falcons are the big dick now? Nothing is fucked here dude. It's not exactly fun to watch, this new NFL where every team is mortal as dick and anybody can back into the playoffs at 9-7 and contest the Super Bowl down to the final play. But it's something something and at least all the players are not on PED's.

This. Welcome to the land of the blind. The Bears may be that team with one eye (Insert Chuck posting a picture of Jim McMahon).
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »

Especially after this last weekend I've realized I hate this NFL. Parity? Fuck that. I like knowing who's good and who sucks. I don't want to live in a world where Oakland beats Denver at Denver by 75 points. And I don't even like Denver.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2010, 11:04:55 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 25, 2010, 11:00:27 AM

Especially after this last weekend I've realized I hate this NFL. Parity? Fuck that. I like knowing who's good and who sucks. I don't want to live in a world where Oakland beats Denver at Denver by 75 points. And I don't even like Denver.

Oh come on. That was fucking hilarious.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »

At least things are more cut and dry in the AFC, where the vaunted Ravens got pushed to overtime at home by the winless Bills. Yet, here are our beloved Bears, completely eliminated from playoff contention despite holding the division lead in Week 7 via a tiebreaker over the Packers who are critically fucked by injuries.

Woo fucking hoo.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »

THIS. My reasons are just because I'm in it to win it in my football pool. $500+ goes to the year-end winner and I was second, behind first by 3 points after last week. I got a total of 53 points this week, with 7 to be decided tonight. FM Betting L.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 25, 2010, 11:30:49 AM

THIS. My reasons are just because I'm in it to win it in my football pool. $500+ goes to the year-end winner and I was second, behind first by 3 points after last week. I got a total of 53 points this week, with 7 to be decided tonight. FM Betting L.

How many points do you have on the season?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 25, 2010, 11:49:59 AM

Through week 6: 475. I had a nice week 6 @ 86 points. Vaulted me from 8th to 2nd. If the Bears hadn't been gutless fucks against Seattle, I would have had an extra 13 points. That's the last time I make them a "sure thing".

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2010, 12:09:22 PM »

Let me put it this way.  If this was a playoff caliber team the offensive line would not set down a welcome mat in front of Cutler each time that they break the  huddle.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
How awesome was San Diego (-3) vs. New England? Totally awesome, I say.

(Counts invisible money, touches self.)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 25, 2010, 12:09:22 PM

Let me put it this way.  If this was a playoff caliber team the offensive line would not set down a welcome mat in front of Cutler each time that they break the  huddle.

I think you miss the point. The Bears offensive line is terrible. In most years I'd be with you in saying it'll keep them from the playoffs, but you know what? Cutler's managed 247 yards per game in spite of those sacks. They'd have won yesterday if Cutler doesn't throw four picks that were no one's fault but his, or if Lovie had challenged the right play one play after challenging the wrong one, or if Matt Forte doesn't fumble for the 9,000th time since last year's Falcons game. Every other team in the NFC has at least one unit that blows as hard as the Bears offensive line or, like the Packers, is decimated by injuries. To say that the Bears are a good team is a pretty big stretch, but to say they're worse than all of the other 4-3 or 3-3 or 3-4 teams in the NFC playoff hunt this year is an even bigger one.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 25, 2010, 12:09:22 PM

In theory, I agree with you. But the simple fact is, that with slight improvement even that pathetic group of gutless assholes can allow the offense to be productive enough to score 20 points per game, which looks like enough given the way the defense and special teams have been playing all year. This team hasn't been blown out yet and looked overmatched like it did against Arizona, Cincy, Baltimore and at Minnesota last year. That still might happen as nobody is looking forward to seeing them play NE or NYJ. But the other games that looked scary a couple weeks ago? At Minnesota, at Green Bay, at Miami and vs. Philly? Uh-uh. Relax. Take a sip of brandy and a pull off a Jewport* and see how it all plays out.

*sorry.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 25, 2010, 12:06:41 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on October 25, 2010, 11:49:59 AM

Through week 6: 475. I had a nice week 6 @ 86 points. Vaulted me from 8th to 2nd. If the Bears hadn't been gutless fucks against Seattle, I would have had an extra 13 points. That's the last time I make them a "sure thing".

Can I play in your pool? I'd like $500.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.