News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 Postseason Sploogapalooza  ( 20,839 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 Postseason Sploogapalooza
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2016, 07:20:56 AM »
I think it's worth bearing in mind that the Cubs beat the Dodgers 4-3 in the regular season, and more to the point, they're currently 4-3 in the 2016 postseason.

EDIT: it's also worth staying off Twitter.  Holy shit.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2016, 07:41:41 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 19, 2016, 07:20:56 AM
I think it's worth bearing in mind that the Cubs beat the Dodgers 4-3 in the regular season, and more to the point, they're currently 4-3 in the 2016 postseason.

It's really not. At all. 1) Regular season head to heads don't mean shit in the postseason, and if you didn't learn that last year from last year's 7-0 regular season record vs the Mets I don't know what to tell you and 2)neither Hill nor Kershaw started a single one of those seven games. If this series goes to 7 they'll start 4 of them. It's not remotely applicable.

That said, fuck it, beat Urias and Maeda and then take Kershaw at home. It's gonna hai. Or it won't.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2016, 07:43:48 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2016, 07:41:41 AM

It's really not. At all. 1) Regular season head to heads don't mean shit in the postseason, and if you didn't learn that last year from last year's 7-0 regular season record vs the Mets I don't know what to tell you and 2)neither Hill nor Kershaw started a single one of those seven games. If this series goes to 7 they'll start 4 of them. It's not remotely applicable.

That said, fuck it, beat Urias and Maeda and then take Kershaw at home. It's gonna hai. Or it won't.

Well, fuck off, then.  Go and wallow in your own shit somewhere where I don't have to listen to it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 19, 2016, 07:43:48 AM

Well, fuck off, then.  Go and wallow in your own shit somewhere where I don't have to listen to it.

Nothing I said there was wallowing in my own shit. I pointed out correctly that regular season head to head is irrelevant, then said they were very much still in it with winnable matchups against the back half of the Dodger rotation and then a crack at Kershaw at home. More importantly, I really don't give a fuck how you want me to feel about this. Some people are going to be mad about getting shut out in back to back games in the postseason after not even doing that in the regular season for two and a half years. People will get mad about sports. There is no rule that mandates being a cheerleader. Maybe instead of expressing surprise every fucking time that "gorsh, people sure are upset about losing again", you should be the one staying off the internet.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2016, 07:49:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2016, 07:48:26 AM

Nothing I said there was wallowing in my own shit. I pointed out correctly that regular season head to head is irrelevant, then said they were very much still in it with winnable matchups against the back half of the Dodger rotation and then a crack at Kershaw at home. More importantly, I really don't give a fuck how you want me to feel about this. Some people are going to be mad about getting shut out in back to back games in the postseason after not even doing that in the regular season for two and a half years. People will get mad about sports. There is no rule that mandates being a cheerleader. Maybe instead of expressing surprise every fucking time that "gorsh, people sure are upset about losing again", you should be the one staying off the internet.

No, seriously, though - shut up and fuck off.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 19, 2016, 07:49:22 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2016, 07:48:26 AM

No, seriously, though - shut up and fuck off.

I don't know who made you the negativity police, but "I don't want to hear it" is a bullshit response. If people want to gripe, you don't get to tell them they can't.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
Intrepid Reader:  Mick Jagger

Why are we fighting?

Look--it'll be fine.  Or it won't be.  No matter.  I've grown accustomed to SKO's schtick, and I'm grateful at least that I don't worked up like that myself. I almost feel bad for him.  Someone's gotta be that guy I suppose (even in our sealed-off Slackboc we've got room for 1 morph). I just feel like I did when I'd listen to games on WGN and bad things would happen.  Santo would make them worse and all out-of-proportiony-y, and I'd get get annoyed because I didn't need his whining to add to my already-present annoyance at the action on the field.  But whatever.  The god's honest truth, for me, is that I'm enjoying the fuck out of this right now.  There are, at minimum, 18 innings of baseball assured us.  I know it feels like the Mets series right now (and might well continue to) but this series can still turn on one game--which would have to be tonight for the Cubs-- and one game can turn on one swing.  If they lose tonight it's probably over but if they win tonight, and do so with more than half the lineup contributing, I would think they'll win the series. I don't want to pretend I don't at least privately share some of SKO's anguish, but my overriding emotion right now is joy not dread.  Joy that this fucking team has one more chance to light a spark.  The odds of that happening seem no worse, to me, than them mouse-farting out of the playoffs like they did last year but I'll take 'em whatever because I ain't got a choice so stick that in your FearPipe and smoke it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 19, 2016, 09:32:56 AM

Why are we fighting?

Look--it'll be fine.  Or it won't be.  No matter.  I've grown accustomed to SKO's schtick, and I'm grateful at least I'm not that I don't worked up like that myself. I almost feel bad for him.  Someone's gotta be that guy I suppose (even in our sealed-off Slackboc we've got room for 1 morph). I just feel like I did when I'd listen to games on WGN and bad things would happen.  Santo would make them worse and all out-of-proportiony-y, and I'd get get annoyed because I didn't need his whining to add to my already-present annoyance at the action on the field.  But whatever.  The god's honest truth, for me, is that I'm enjoying the fuck out of this right now.  There are, at minimum, 18 innings of baseball assured us.  I know it feels like the Mets series right now (and might well continue to) but this series can still turn on one game--which would have to be tonight for the Cubs-- and one game can turn on one swing.  If they lose tonight it's probably over but if they win tonight, and do so with more than half the lineup contributing, I would think they'll win the series. I don't want to pretend I don't at least privately share some of SKO's anguish, but my overriding emotion right now is joy not dread.  Joy that this fucking team has one more chance to light a spark.  The odds of that happening seem no worse, to me, than them mouse-farting out of the playoffs like they did last year but I'll take 'em whatever because I ain't got a choice so stick that in your FearPipe and smoke it.

I actually associate this line with Christopher Walken in the classic movie The Rundown.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »

Why are we fighting?

Look--it'll be fine.  Or it won't be.  No matter.  I've grown accustomed to SKO's schtick, and I'm grateful at least that I don't worked up like that myself. I almost feel bad for him.  Someone's gotta be that guy I suppose (even in our sealed-off Slackboc we've got room for 1 morph). I just feel like I did when I'd listen to games on WGN and bad things would happen.  Santo would make them worse and all out-of-proportiony-y, and I'd get get annoyed because I didn't need his whining to add to my already-present annoyance at the action on the field.  But whatever.  The god's honest truth, for me, is that I'm enjoying the fuck out of this right now.  There are, at minimum, 18 innings of baseball assured us.  I know it feels like the Mets series right now (and might well continue to) but this series can still turn on one game--which would have to be tonight for the Cubs-- and one game can turn on one swing.  If they lose tonight it's probably over but if they win tonight, and do so with more than half the lineup contributing, I would think they'll win the series. I don't want to pretend I don't at least privately share some of SKO's anguish, but my overriding emotion right now is joy not dread.  Joy that this fucking team has one more chance to light a spark.  The odds of that happening seem no worse, to me, than them mouse-farting out of the playoffs like they did last year but I'll take 'em whatever because I ain't got a choice so stick that in your FearPipe and smoke it.

Consider me also grateful at least I'm not that I don't worked up like that myself

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 19, 2016, 09:45:55 AM

Why are we fighting?

Consider me also grateful at least I'm not that I don't worked up like that myself

Exactly!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2016, 10:25:39 AM »
At this stage in my life, I can't watch the games when they go badly. I had turned off the TV after the Cubs squandered a couple of opportunities. I don't expect them to win the series, because they haven't overcome my biggest concern: the bats are dead, just like last year. It's hard to win a post season series when a good chunk of your offense come from your pitchers' hot bats.

I'm sorry if this hot take of rampant criticism and lamenting is too much for some of you too handle, but if it is, maybe it shouldn't be me who goes elsewhere.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2016, 10:28:49 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 19, 2016, 10:25:39 AM
At this stage in my life, I can't watch the games when they go badly. I had turned off the TV after the Cubs squandered a couple of opportunities. I don't expect them to win the series, because they haven't overcome my biggest concern: the bats are dead, just like last year. It's hard to win a post season series when a good chunk of your offense come from your pitchers' hot bats.

I'm sorry if this hot take of rampant criticism and lamenting is too much for some of you too handle, but if it is, maybe it shouldn't be me who goes elsewhere.

Pro tip: Being passive-aggressive is pretty much asking for it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 19, 2016, 10:25:39 AM

Ah, Kurt.  You have no idea how reassuring it is to me that we disagree.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »
ABORTIONS FOR ALL!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
So I realize none of this matters if  Dex, Rizzo and Zobrist continue to fail do their thing and I don't mean to be all nuclear but better now than Game 5. Sorry Addy, but go have a blow.   Here's what I'd like to see tonight.

Dex CF
WillyCon C
KB 3B
Rizz 1B
Zobes 2B
Javy SS
Soler LF
Lackey P
Almora RF