News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: We'll All Want To Have Albert Almora's Babies in 2016 Thread  ( 21,939 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: We'll All Want To Have Albert Almora's Babies in 2016 Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 15, 2016, 09:23:48 AM
Aaand FACED by Huey. I'm feeling as embarrassed as Eli must feel after completely writing off Almora's ability to play sports at all, let alone major league baseball.

If you read through this thread it's actually Slak who's got the hottest anti-Almora take.  

Quote from: Slaky on August 18, 2015, 02:00:42 PM
I can't believe this thread exists.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 15, 2016, 09:25:15 AM
Quote from: R-V on June 15, 2016, 09:23:48 AM
Aaand FACED by Huey. I'm feeling as embarrassed as Eli must feel after completely writing off Almora's ability to play sports at all, let alone major league baseball.

If you read through this thread it's actually Slak who's got the hottest anti-Almora take.  

Quote from: Slaky on August 18, 2015, 02:00:42 PM
I can't believe this thread exists.

I'm happy to be seeing him contribute.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:19 AM »
I am about 97% sure the Cubs are adding a left field bad at the deadline no matter what happens, even if Jorge comes back and tears July a new asshole. He's too injury prone and inconsistent to bank on him even being available in October, let alone productive, and entrusting a bunch of playoff ABs to Almora or Szczur or even Javy/La Stella with Bryant in left is probably not something Theo is willing to do.

They'll get a left handed veteran bat (and god help me, but I agree it'll probably be Jabe Roos). Whichever kids are still standing after the deadline will have to content themselves with fighting for being the short side of a platoon/late inning defense and a competitor for an OF job next spring.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 15, 2016, 09:35:19 AM
I am about 97% sure the Cubs are adding a left field bad at the deadline no matter what happens, even if Jorge comes back and tears July a new asshole. He's too injury prone and inconsistent to bank on him even being available in October, let alone productive, and entrusting a bunch of playoff ABs to Almora or Szczur or even Javy/La Stella with Bryant in left is probably not something Theo is willing to do.

They'll get a left handed veteran bat (and god help me, but I agree it'll probably be Jabe Roos). Whichever kids are still standing after the deadline will have to content themselves with fighting for being the short side of a platoon/late inning defense and a competitor for an OF job next spring.

Have some faith, man

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 15, 2016, 09:39:03 AM

Have some faith, man

Well if it is Jabe, still accurate.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 15, 2016, 09:22:33 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 15, 2016, 09:16:20 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 15, 2016, 08:54:04 AM
His glove is such a huge plus (and the tagging up to move to third was also pretty damn impressive - the kid has a good head on his shoulders), but ultimately if he's going to fight for ABs with Soler, the solution might be to let Almora get his ABs in Iowa.

I'm also thinking Iowa is going to be a better spot for him once everyone is back healthy. He can be back in September and maybe even stick on the playoff roster as a late-inning defensive replacement. But in terms of his development, I'd rather he get another 250 at bats at AAA this year than be part-time player for most of the year in the bigs.

He hasn't looked lost at the plate though, which could either 1.) help his trade value or 2.) make it easier to go with him as the CF next year if Fowler walks for a huge payday after this year.

This is about where I am on Almora. Who knows what the outfield depth chart is going to look like after the trade deadline, but if your playoff roster comes down to a choice between Szczur and Almora, I think you have to go Albert for late inning defensive/pinch running strategery. This is assuming that Soler is healthy and hitting (a huge if), which means you go with Soler/Fowler/Heyward to start the game and then bring in Almora and Baez for the defensive death lineup once you get a lead.

Maybe it sounds weird, but I'd rather have Szczur on the roster from now until September simply to prioritize Almora's development in Iowa. The difference between the two at the major-league level is pretty inconsequential over a few months and it's not really worth haggling over half a win or whatever. But come playoff time I think Almora's defense (and maybe even his contact ability at the plate) makes him a really good fit as a 25th man.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2016, 09:49:54 AM »

They already did.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
So playoff roster of:

C: Contreras, Montero, Ross
1B: Rizzo
2B: Zobrist, La Stella
3B: Bryant, Baez
SS: Russell
LF: Bruce, Soler
CF: Fowler, Almora
RF: Heyward

SP: Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, whichever of Hammel or Hendricks is better at that point in time
RP: Rondon, Strop, Aroldis Chapman, Cahill, Wood, Grimm, Warren.

Works for me.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2016, 09:55:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 15, 2016, 09:52:55 AM
So playoff roster of:

SP: Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, whichever of Hammel or Hendricks is better at that point in time

Works for me.

...for?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 15, 2016, 09:55:46 AM
So playoff roster of:

Works for me.

...for?

Who knows, I just have a feeling the Cubs suddenly having a bunch of quotes about being able to take on baggage because they have such a strong clubhouse are meant to prep us for that douchebag. Or maybe they're just talking about Coghlan.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2016, 10:01:40 AM »
So playoff roster of:

Works for me.

I know they went with 11 pitchers last year, but I guess I'd be surprised if they had three catchers rostered for the postseason.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 15, 2016, 10:01:40 AM
So playoff roster of:

Works for me.

I know they went with 11 pitchers last year, but I guess I'd be surprised if they had three catchers rostered for the postseason.

Well in my world Contreras comes up and rakes so much that it's justifiable having him on the roster even if he doesn't catch so he can pinch hit and/or be the DH .

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 15, 2016, 10:02:51 AM
So playoff roster of:

Works for me.

Well in my world Contreras comes up and rakes so much that it's justifiable having him on the roster even if he doesn't catch so he can pinch hit and/or be the DH .

Yeah, given that hypothetical, I suppose it makes sense if he's the best bat they have left on the 40 man (regardless of position).

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 15, 2016, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 15, 2016, 10:02:51 AM
So playoff roster of:

Works for me.

Yeah, given that hypothetical, I suppose it makes sense if he's the best bat they have left on the 40 man (regardless of position).

Contreras has an OPS at Iowa that's higher than what Schwarber or Bryant managed, and also strikes out less than they did while walking about the same. Scientifically speaking, he is a lock to come up and hit even better than they did. That's just the maths.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 15, 2016, 09:56:36 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 15, 2016, 09:55:46 AM
So playoff roster of:

Works for me.

...for?

Who knows, I just have a feeling the Cubs suddenly having a bunch of quotes about being able to take on baggage because they have such a strong clubhouse are meant to prep us for that douchebag. Or maybe they're just talking about Coghlan.

Maybe they're bringing Adam Laroche in.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16