News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hail Caesar  ( 1,775 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hail Caesar
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »
I am a fan of the Coen Brothers.  Therefore I expected this to be funnier.  Instead it is a very harsh spoof of Hollywood.  Fortunately, no one gave George Clooney the message, so he played his part for laughs.  The funniest scene features Rafe Fiennes, of all people, trying to teach a cowboy actor how to deliver his lines like a cultured, upper class Englishman.  One of the last laughs in the movie is the "work-around" that they devise to get past the problem.  Channing Tatum,  (once again "of all people")  delivers a great tap dance routine.  Scarlett Johanssen is the beautiful starlet who has the voice and vocabulary of a stevedore.  I think that we saw that in "Singing In The Rain", a better movie about Hollywood.  It is not the movie that I hoped to see. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hail Caesar
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 15, 2016, 08:17:25 PM
I am a fan of the Coen Brothers.  Therefore I expected this to be funnier.  Instead it is a very harsh spoof of Hollywood.  Fortunately, no one gave George Clooney the message, so he played his part for laughs.  The funniest scene features Rafe Fiennes, of all people, trying to teach a cowboy actor how to deliver his lines like a cultured, upper class Englishman.  One of the last laughs in the movie is the "work-around" that they devise to get past the problem.  Channing Tatum,  (once again "of all people")  delivers a great tap dance routine.  Scarlett Johanssen is the beautiful starlet who has the voice and vocabulary of a stevedore.  I think that we saw that in "Singing In The Rain", a better movie about Hollywood.  It is not the movie that I hoped to see. 

This is disappointing. I figured Clooney and the Coens would just be greatness, as "O Brother" was. I guess it getting the release on Super Bowl weekend should have been the tipoff.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:33:17 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on February 16, 2016, 08:32:48 AM

This is disappointing. I figured Clooney and the Coens would just be greatness, as "O Brother" was. I guess it getting the release on Super Bowl weekend should have been the tipoff.

I heard it was very inside jokey but good if you like that kind of thing. I still plan to see it.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »

I have a Groupon that will expire soon and it's for seeing a movie at a small movie house in Nola. It's showing "Hail, Caesar!" so we will be seeing it tomorrow. I'm not disappointed in this review. It's actually kind of where I expected it.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"