News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Trestinky Offense  ( 3,934 )

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Trestinky Offense
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »
New coach, same results against good football teams.

Trestman may be the guy, but we'll never know by limping along with a solid, but rapidly aging defense and an offense that is incompetent more often than not.  The Cutler trade set this franchise back a good bit.

Time to blow it up and rebuild.  There's no way this team wins a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl.

Watching teams with real QBs and offensive talent is growing tiresome and frustrating.  I wonder what it'd be like to have an offense that was within the ballpark of doing what the Saints have done for half a decade.  A QB with all of 2 in completions at halftime, against a good defense?  God that would be fun to watch.

Too bad we'll never know that.

Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Trestinky Offense
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 06, 2013, 01:26:16 PM

Trestman may be the guy, but we'll never know by limping along with a solid, but rapidly aging defense and an offense that is incompetent more often than not.  The Cutler trade set this franchise back a good bit.

Time to blow it up and rebuild.  There's no way this team wins a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl.

Watching teams with real QBs and offensive talent is growing tiresome and frustrating.  I wonder what it'd be like to have an offense that was within the ballpark of doing what the Saints have done for half a decade.  A QB with all of 2 in completions at halftime, against a good defense?  God that would be fun to watch.

So the offense scoring 31 points a game before today is incompetent more than not, and the defense that was allowing 28 points a game and was 20th in yards allowed is "solid", and the difference between the Bears in this game is that Drew Brees had 3 incompletions at halftime (and yes, it was 3), and Cutler had....4. OK
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2013, 02:47:04 PM

So the offense scoring 31 points a game before today is incompetent more than not, and the defense that was allowing 28 points a game and was 20th in yards allowed is "solid", and the difference between the Bears in this game is that Drew Brees had 3 incompletions at halftime (and yes, it was 3), and Cutler had....4. OK

Would love to see you explain how the guy who already owns or will own every franchise career passing record, and is currently on pace to shatter the single season records, has set the same franchise back? I'm guessing I won't find evidence of you shitting on Jerry Angelo's drafting ability if I look backwards in the archives, since you apparently think he'd have done so well with those picks?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CubFaninHydePark

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

A fair amount of those 31 ppg belong to the defense or were set up by short fields.  The Steelers were one of the best teams in yards allowed last season but suffered due to minimal takeaways.  I'll trade yards for takeaways.

It's easy to set records when you can throw against soft defenses down multiple scores in the 4th quarter.  If not for good to very good defensive efforts in the first 3 games, this is an 0-5 team.

When Cutler plays a good first half, let me know.  He was a decent custodian in the Pittsburgh game, horribad last week, bad this week and week 2, and mediocre against Cincy. I can't remember the last good first half he's played, let alone the last complete game.

And while Angelo wasn't a great drafter, poor seasons probably would've lead to his and Lovie's ouster a few years ahead of schedule. At any rate, the talent would be at least marginally better.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
The Cutler trade set this franchise back a good bit.
Nowhere near as much as Angelo did everywhere else.  And by nowhere near, I mean not at all like.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 06, 2013, 03:23:12 PM

A fair amount of those 31 ppg belong to the defense or were set up by short fields.  The Steelers were one of the best teams in yards allowed last season but suffered due to minimal takeaways.  I'll trade yards for takeaways.

It's easy to set records when you can throw against soft defenses down multiple scores in the 4th quarter.  If not for good to very good defensive efforts in the first 3 games, this is an 0-5 team.

When Cutler plays a good first half, let me know.  He was a decent custodian in the Pittsburgh game, horribad last week, bad this week and week 2, and mediocre against Cincy. I can't remember the last good first half he's played, let alone the last complete game.

And while Angelo wasn't a great drafter, poor seasons probably would've lead to his and Lovie's ouster a few years ahead of schedule. At any rate, the talent would be at least marginally better.

Bears were averaging 27 PPG before this week even without defensive scores, and were 13th in total yardage despite said short fields. Are you somehow holding it against them that they Score when given advantageous field position?

Look, if you hate Cutler, fine, but if the game he played today is somehow your definition of "bad" and if you can honestly look at this team and think offense is more of a problem than defense this year, you're kind of insane.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
Quote from: MeatballInHydeParkTrestinky

No.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CubFaninHydePark

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2013, 05:20:25 PM

Bears were averaging 27 PPG before this week even without defensive scores, and were 13th in total yardage despite said short fields. Are you somehow holding it against them that they Score when given advantageous field position?

Look, if you hate Cutler, fine, but if the game he played today is somehow your definition of "bad" and if you can honestly look at this team and think offense is more of a problem than defense this year, you're kind of insane.

If the offense can keep the D off the field for any meaningful length of time in the first half, I think it's a different game in the 4th quarter.

Cutler has to play well in more the 4th quarter to be a good QB.  The numbers end up looking good on paper, but going into the 4th quarter, they would look bad to terrible week in, week out.

It's pretty obvious that the correct course of action is not to renew him, try and get serious value for Forte (my god, if Trent Richardson can command a first-rounder), and restart from scratch.  Get a franchise QB and build a line around him, just like the Colts did with Manning.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
If not for good to very good defensive efforts in the first 3 games, this is an 0-5 team.

And if the Broncos didn't have Peyton Manning they wouldn't be all that special. Why bother pointing things like this out?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 06, 2013, 09:45:20 PM

If the offense can keep the D off the field for any meaningful length of time in the first half, I think it's a different game in the 4th quarter.

Cutler has to play well in more the 4th quarter to be a good QB.  The numbers end up looking good on paper, but going into the 4th quarter, they would look bad to terrible week in, week out.

It's pretty obvious that the correct course of action is not to renew him, try and get serious value for Forte (my god, if Trent Richardson can command a first-rounder), and restart from scratch.  Get a franchise QB and build a line around him, just like the Colts did with Manning.

So if we just throw out quarters where he has played well, he's looked bad. Got it. You're a moron.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »

I mean, the offense scored a TD to make it 13-7 in the first half, and the defense immediately gave up a TD. The Saints outgained the Bears on offense in the first half by a whopping 30 fucking yards. If the defense can't manage to keep their stamina up into the second quarter, that's not much to their credit. If you want to defend a dogshit defense that's giving up an average of 28 PPG while throwing out an offense that's averaging 25 PPG (without Defensive TDs) and 370 YPG in just five games in a brand new scheme, you're just throwing shit at the wall so you can blame it on Cutler.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Glad your patented approach to fixing the franchise is finding a guy like Peyton Manning and building around him. Jesus Christ. You'll just bitch about that guy too if the one that's setting every fucking franchise record isn't good enough as it is.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2013, 10:27:52 PM
Glad your patented approach to fixing the franchise is finding a guy like Peyton Manning and building around him. Jesus Christ. You'll just bitch about that guy too if the one that's setting every fucking franchise record isn't good enough as it is.

It's nearly impossible to miss drafting a franchise QB in the first round. Those guys grow on trees.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »

How the hell did you get through law school?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs