News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,114 )

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 12:20:41 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on October 05, 2009, 11:33:07 AM
Ok, shifting gears for a moment.  I know there are several august alums of the UI on the board here.  Mrs. G and I are heading down to Champaign on Thursday of this week for homecoming and then we'll be sticking around until Sunday morning.

If any of you meatheads were thinking of heading down, Illinois might actually have a chance against Michigan State.  And of course there will be cheap beer there too, so there's that.

So, go.

But if they're not thinking of heading down, then Illinois has no chance?

Yes.  That was my exact point.

Punk.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »
Quote from: Mickey Nine: The Dream Weaver on October 05, 2009, 12:10:42 PM
The Juice is benched.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/news/story?id=4533361

We were shocked they didn't put in McGee after, say, the third time they went 3-and-out after a Penn State score.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2009, 05:21:44 AM »
The offensive play-calling has been, well, offensive. John Shoop thinks this team runs too many bubble screens and third down plays that get 4 yards when 8 is needed.

For the record, I don't think McGee is any better than Juice is...
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
Quote from: BC on October 06, 2009, 05:21:44 AM
The offensive play-calling has been, well, offensive. John Shoop thinks this team runs too many bubble screens and third down plays that get 4 yards when 8 is needed.

I realize it's not a good idea to agree with BC, as he's prone to oversimplification and overreaction, but the offensive playcalling has been awful. It's not just the repetitive use of the bubble screen when Danny Dufrene can't catch a damn thing, its the fact that they have the consensus most talented wide receiver corps in the Big Ten with Arrellious Benn and Jarred Fayson, and they won't even attempt throwing downfield except at the end of the half. Juice moved the ball in the two minute drill. I still don't blame him for the intentional grounding because I'd like to know why the hell everyone in the stadium could see Penn State lining up to blitz and yet the play call didn't have a single hot route. Most college quarterbacks aren't responsible for adjustments and hot reads at the line of scrimmage, so I'm gonna put that one Zook and Schultz.

I really would have waited to see if he could move the ball against Michigan State before benching him, as judging him on the poor performance against three FBS schools who are a combined 12-2 is a bit unfair, especially when the line's given up 13 sacks already and the defense is allowing 34 ppg against FBS competition. McGee isn't even the slightest of an improvement, as that guys a walking turnover. He had two picks against Illinois State, and for his career he's got a 5.3 interception %, Juice is at 4.1% (which still is awful, for comparison's sake Rex Grossman's NFL career % is 3.6, and Cutler's is 3.1). Not to mention the fact that Juice is pretty much the only reason Illinois got the 5 wins it did last year, and he's just shy of becoming Illinois' all time leader in total offense. I don't like the move one bit. Oh well. This season's so damned fucked it's not like a quarterback's going to save it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 06, 2009, 07:27:44 AM
Quote from: BC on October 06, 2009, 05:21:44 AM

I realize it's not a good idea to agree with BC, as he's prone to oversimplification and overreaction, but the offensive playcalling has been awful. It's not just the repetitive use of the bubble screen when Danny Dufrene can't catch a damn thing, its the fact that they have the consensus most talented wide receiver corps in the Big Ten with Arrellious Benn and Jarred Fayson, and they won't even attempt throwing downfield accept at the end of the half. Juice moved the ball in the two minute drill. I still don't blame him for the intentional grounding because I'd like to know why the hell everyone in the stadium could see Penn State lining up to blitz and yet the play call didn't have a single hot route. Most college quarterbacks aren't responsible for adjustments and hot reads at the line of scrimmage, so I'm gonna put that one Zook and Schultz.

I really would have waited to see if he could move the ball against Michigan State before benching him, as judging him on the poor performance against three FBS schools who are a combined 12-2 is a bit unfair, especially when the line's given up 13 sacks already and the defense is allowing 34 ppg against FBS competition. McGee isn't even the slightest of an improvement, as that guys a walking turnover. He had two picks against Illinois State, and for his career he's got a 5.3 interception %, Juice is at 4.1% (which still is awful, for comparison's sake Rex Grossman's NFL career % is 3.6, and Cutler's is 3.1). Not to mention the fact that Juice is pretty much the only reason Illinois got the 5 wins it did last year, and he's just shy of becoming Illinois' all time leader in total offense. I don't like the move one bit. Oh well. This season's so damned fucked it's not like a quarterback's going to save it.

The only thing that can save Illinois' season at this point is to push have Mike Schultz fall down a flight of stairs.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on October 05, 2009, 01:03:12 PM
Ok, shifting gears for a moment.  I know there are several august alums of the UI on the board here.  Mrs. G and I are heading down to Champaign on Thursday of this week for homecoming and then we'll be sticking around until Sunday morning.

If any of you meatheads were thinking of heading down, Illinois might actually have a chance against Michigan State.  And of course there will be cheap beer there too, so there's that.

So, go.

Punk.

Yeah, turns out Illinois had no chance against MSU.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 10, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

So, go.

Punk.

Not enough people were thinking of going down there.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »

So, go.

Punk.

Best part? Eddie McGee has now been benched...for Juice.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
WOOOO, PIG!  SOOIE!
WOOOO, PIG!  SOOIE!
WOOOO, PIG!  SOOIE...RAZORBACKS!!11!11!!!1
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »
Quote from: JD on October 10, 2009, 02:57:09 PM
WOOOO, PIG!  SOOIE!
WOOOO, PIG!  SOOIE!
WOOOO, PIG!  SOOIE...RAZORBACKS!!11!11!!!1

That SEC is a bitch of a conference.

Kentucky almost pulled off the upset against the Gamecocks and their coach who hopes to one day grow up and become a dentist.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
So, I guess this is the right place to put this little nugget of information.  I was just listening to the LSU pregame show on the radio and who else would you expect to be a surprise guest in Baton Rouge this Saturday?  Yep, you geussed it:  Ryan TheriBRO.  Well, he wasn't alone.  Turns out, he and A. J. Eyechart must be pest of BROs because he joined Ryan in the interview.  A few highlights:

1.  Eyechart never went to Florida.  He just grew up in Orlando and is a homer for the Gators.

2.  Theriot sort of hinted that Lou is batshit crazy.

3.  Theriot and A. J. compared managers:  Theriot said that Lou is brutally honest and a bit of a wild man.  A. J. started his evaluation of his manager, Ozzie Guillen by saying he's the "polar opposite" of Lou.  He then went on to say the Ozzie is brutally honest and a wild man.

4.  The radio guy asked them both who their picks were in the MLB Cancelled Playoff Exhibition Extravaganza.  Theriot responds, and I quote:  "I'm disappointed in my Cardinals."  A. J. said that would be in the Trib tomorrow.

Why does Ryan Theriot want us to hate him so?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 10, 2009, 03:27:05 PM
So, I guess this is the right place to put this little nugget of information.  I was just listening to the LSU pregame show on the radio and who else would you expect to be a surprise guest in Baton Rouge this Saturday?  Yep, you geussed it:  Ryan TheriBRO.  Well, he wasn't alone.  Turns out, he and A. J. Eyechart must be pest of BROs because he joined Ryan in the interview.  A few highlights:

1.  Eyechart never went to Florida.  He just grew up in Orlando and is a homer for the Gators.

2.  Theriot sort of hinted that Lou is batshit crazy.

3.  Theriot and A. J. compared managers:  Theriot said that Lou is brutally honest and a bit of a wild man.  A. J. started his evaluation of his manager, Ozzie Guillen by saying he's the "polar opposite" of Lou.  He then went on to say the Ozzie is brutally honest and a wild man.

4.  The radio guy asked them both who their picks were in the MLB Cancelled Playoff Exhibition Extravaganza.  Theriot responds, and I quote:  "I'm disappointed in my Cardinals."  A. J. said that would be in the Trib tomorrow.

Why does Ryan Theriot want us to hate him so?

I don't know, but I wonder how such an admission will affect how Dave B. views Theriot.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
4.  The radio guy asked them both who their picks were in the MLB Cancelled Playoff Exhibition Extravaganza.  Theriot responds, and I quote:  "I'm disappointed in my Cardinals."  A. J. said that would be in the Trib tomorrow.

Do the Cardinals have some sort of following down there?

I mean... First IAN, now Theriot.

Are Louisianans and St. Louisans joined together in some sort of cousin-lovin' redneck brotherhood?
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2009, 04:53:32 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 10, 2009, 01:06:20 PM

So, go.

Punk.

Best part? Eddie McGee has now been benched...for Juice.

Colder than fuck, let me tell you.  My Red Bull/Jager combo kept me warm for most of it, but as more people left, was able to sit in an area with lots of sun.  Warmed up well.

I want to believe that if Juice had been starting, we might have had a chance.  Then again, he could have tossed like 8 picks, so what do I know.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on October 10, 2009, 04:46:42 PM

Do the Cardinals have some sort of following down there?

I mean... First IAN, now Theriot.

Are Louisianans and St. Louisans joined together in some sort of cousin-lovin' redneck brotherhood?

Yes, they are.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.