News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,139 )

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
Quote from: Cillit Bang on October 25, 2009, 10:00:09 PM
Even though Chuck G is a butthole I'm going to announce my full support for Iowa for the rest of the season. I hope they can run the table just to see how this whole thing works when Florida and Texas are also undefeated.

I want to see righteous indignation.
Iowa wins the rights to get their ass beat by USC in the Rose bowl?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
Quote from: air2300 on October 25, 2009, 10:16:47 PM
Even though Chuck G is a butthole I'm going to announce my full support for Iowa for the rest of the season. I hope they can run the table just to see how this whole thing works when Florida and Texas are also undefeated.

Yeah. Go 'Eyes!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »

If Iowa runs the table, they'll win the right to get their ass beat by Florida or Alabama in the Rose Bowl in the BCS title game. They are already #1 in the BCS computers.  A win at the Shoe and they'll be in the top 3 in the voting polls once the Florida Alabama game is over.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2009, 11:03:18 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 25, 2009, 10:50:15 PM

If Iowa runs the table, they'll win the right to get their ass beat by Florida or Alabama in the Rose Bowl in the BCS title game. They are already #1 in the BCS computers.  A win at the Shoe and they'll be in the top 3 in the voting polls once the Florida Alabama game is over.
Maybe.  That would hopefully mean end of the BCS.  But Texas will be playing in the game if they go undefeated.  Iowa will fall in the computers because more likely than not, undefeated team from the SEC will be ranked number 1 by the computers.  That hurts Iowa because undefeated Texas will be ranked number 2 in Harris and Coaches poll.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »
Quote from: air2300 on October 25, 2009, 11:03:18 PM

If Iowa runs the table, they'll win the right to get their ass beat by Florida or Alabama in the Rose Bowl in the BCS title game. They are already #1 in the BCS computers.  A win at the Shoe and they'll be in the top 3 in the voting polls once the Florida Alabama game is over.
Maybe.  That would hopefully mean end of the BCS.  But Texas will be playing in the game if they go undefeated.  Iowa will fall in the computers because more likely than not, undefeated team from the SEC will be ranked number 1 by the computers.  That hurts Iowa because undefeated Texas will be ranked number 2 in Harris and Coaches poll.

And then Iowa fans will piss and moan about the BCS not putting them in the title game. The Big Ten is god awful, and you can't convince me that Iowa wouldn't just get raped by a faster SEC, PAC 10, or Big 12 champion in a BCS bowl. They follow the same exact god damn formula that Penn State and Ohio State have followed for the last few years. Anyone who is denying the complete suckitude of the Big Ten really needs a wakeup call, because they're 15-28 in bowls since 2003. In that time they're 3-8 in BCS bowls, and the last time they won was in January of 2006. One was Penn State beating a 4 loss Florida State team that got in ass backwardly, and the other was Ohio State beating a 3 loss Notre Dame team that only got in because the system is biased in ND's favor the few times they've managed to run that cheesecake of a schedule to the amount of wins that should be automatic for such a "great" program. So yeah, the SEC, PAC 10, and Big 12 all have a better reason to claim that spot if they go undefeated, and hell, with the gauntlet that the SEC is they should consider a one loss SEC Champion over an undefeated Big Ten champ.

Updated just to note: Before any god damn Hawkeye fan comes back with "We're not coached by Jim Tressel" or some crap like that I'll just refer to the last time Ferentz got his club into a BCS Bowl.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2009, 08:28:18 AM »
I guess that's better than pissing and moaning about Ron Zook and another bottom-feeder finish in the Big 10.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 26, 2009, 08:28:18 AM
I guess that's better than pissing and moaning about Ron Zook and another bottom-feeder finish in the Big 10.

THI
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2009, 08:32:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2009, 07:41:35 AM

If Iowa runs the table, they'll win the right to get their ass beat by Florida or Alabama in the Rose Bowl in the BCS title game. They are already #1 in the BCS computers.  A win at the Shoe and they'll be in the top 3 in the voting polls once the Florida Alabama game is over.
Maybe.  That would hopefully mean end of the BCS.  But Texas will be playing in the game if they go undefeated.  Iowa will fall in the computers because more likely than not, undefeated team from the SEC will be ranked number 1 by the computers.  That hurts Iowa because undefeated Texas will be ranked number 2 in Harris and Coaches poll.

And then Iowa fans will piss and moan about the BCS not putting them in the title game. The Big Ten is god awful, and you can't convince me that Iowa wouldn't just get raped by a faster SEC, PAC 10, or Big 12 champion in a BCS bowl. They follow the same exact god damn formula that Penn State and Ohio State have followed for the last few years. Anyone who is denying the complete suckitude of the Big Ten really needs a wakeup call, because they're 15-28 in bowls since 2003. In that time they're 3-8 in BCS bowls, and the last time they won was in January of 2006. One was Penn State beating a 4 loss Florida State team that got in ass backwardly, and the other was Ohio State beating a 3 loss Notre Dame team that only got in because the system is biased in ND's favor the few times they've managed to run that cheesecake of a schedule to the amount of wins that should be automatic for such a "great" program. So yeah, the SEC, PAC 10, and Big 12 all have a better reason to claim that spot if they go undefeated, and hell, with the gauntlet that the SEC is they should consider a one loss SEC Champion over an undefeated Big Ten champ.

Updated just to note: Before any god damn Hawkeye fan comes back with "We're not coached by Jim Tressel" or some crap like that I'll just refer to the last time Ferentz got his club into a BCS Bowl.
It doesn't matter.  I don't see Iowa winning at OSU anyway.  And I'll be in Los Angeles on 1/1/10, but not on 1/7/10.  So, if I want to see the game, Rose Bowl works better for me than BCS Bowl.

But an end to the BCS would be nice.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 26, 2009, 08:32:28 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2009, 07:41:35 AM

Maybe.  That would hopefully mean end of the BCS.  But Texas will be playing in the game if they go undefeated.  Iowa will fall in the computers because more likely than not, undefeated team from the SEC will be ranked number 1 by the computers.  That hurts Iowa because undefeated Texas will be ranked number 2 in Harris and Coaches poll.

It doesn't matter.  I don't see Iowa winning at OSU anyway.  And I'll be in Los Angeles on 1/1/10, but not on 1/7/10.  So, if I want to see the game, Rose Bowl works better for me than BCS Bowl.

But an end to the BCS would be nice.

See, Dave B gave me the expected reaction. But you're all reasonable and shit. I didn't expect this from Internet Chuck. I have to go somewhere and reflect, because the ANGER today after yesterday's Bears debacle needs an outlet somewhere, and damnit, I really wanted it to be you.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: October 26, 2009, 08:37:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2009, 08:33:59 AM
See, Dave B gave me the expected reaction. But you're all reasonable and shit. I didn't expect this from Internet Chuck. I have to go somewhere and reflect, because the ANGER today after yesterday's Bears debacle needs an outlet somewhere, and damnit, I really wanted it to be you.
Fine.  How's this?

"Gee, that Tommy Harris pre-season you were pointing to really has worked out while I was saying he was through!"

Now, you can be mad at me.

For being reasonable again.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:18 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 26, 2009, 08:37:20 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2009, 08:33:59 AM
Fine.  How's this?

"Gee, that Tommy Harris pre-season you were pointing to really has worked out while I was saying he was through!"

Now, you can be mad at me.

For being reasonable again.

I hate so much about my existence as a sports fan that I can't muster up anything. I may need to retire from Desipio.  I don't know. I turned on the Illinois game to find Illinois down 21-7 and driving with a white guy at quarterback. I was at first angry that Zook had continued to blame the offense's struggles on Juice and not just the coaching staff and team as a whole collectively sucking, but then white guy drove Illinois to the 5, where the clock ticked all the way down to 14 seconds. I naturally assumed Illinois had only one or zero timeouts left. Turns out they had all three. And Zook let it run down to 14 seconds. Then I got angry because he pulled the white guy on first and goal from the 5, and Juice naturally looked awful as Illinois went 3 and out, then missed the 22 yard field goal.

Then, while watching Florida-Miss. St I get to see "Illinois AD Ron Guenther announces Ron Zook will be head coach through 2010 season." That's interesting not only in that it's the worst possible news I could have heard at the moment, but that the very concept is so laughable that ESPN felt the need to actually notice and comment on the existence of Illinois football for the first time since the Rose Bowl two years ago. Then the Bears did what they did yesterday. Someday very soon someone will pay for the ANGER I ANGER all the ANGER. So there's that. I'm not even sure what I was trying to say.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:17 AM »
I honestly can't see the Hawks winning at Ohio State, but than again I said the same things about them not winning at Penn State, Wisconsin, or Michigan State and look how wrong I was there.

They also don't play Illinois or Purdue.

They have won 12 in a row,

As an Iowa grad who still lives in the Iowa City area, I had gotten kind of tired of the fanaticism a lot of Iowans have toward the football team. But seeing this story develop and some of the ways they've won games is pretty interesting. And they do it with a lot of Iowa kids mixed in with some out-of-staters who weren't four- or five-star recruits. Ferentz seems like a decent guy and is well-respected. It's not to say that the program hasn't had it's share of run-ins with the law, but that seems to have toned down and gotten better, too.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2009, 08:55:31 AM »

World B Free

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 26, 2009, 08:54:17 AM
I honestly can't see the Hawks winning at Ohio State, but than again I said the same things about them not winning at Penn State, Wisconsin, or Michigan State and look how wrong I was there.

They also don't play Illinois or Purdue.

They have won 12 in a row,

As an Iowa grad who still lives in the Iowa City area, I had gotten kind of tired of the fanaticism a lot of Iowans have toward the football team. But seeing this story develop and some of the ways they've won games is pretty interesting. And they do it with a lot of Iowa kids mixed in with some out-of-staters who weren't four- or five-star recruits. Ferentz seems like a decent guy and is well-respected. It's not to say that the program hasn't had it's share of run-ins with the law, but that seems to have toned down and gotten better, too.

After watching them against Wisconsin (thanks for outing Bielema a little more as a crap coach) and MSU, their d line should fair well at OSU.  They are going to face a much better secondary than they have in two weeks though and that's where you should be concerned.  That was a great game Saturday night, so it will be interesting to see how they do.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: October 26, 2009, 10:47:25 AM »

At least we'll get a sweet draft pick - wait...