News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,309 )

World B Free

• Pollyellon Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 30, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »
You can use stats to prove any point.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #391 on: October 30, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 08:38:55 AM
But my point is I can find a computer ranking saying Iowa isn't #1.
Can you find one where Texas is ahead of Iowa?

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #392 on: October 30, 2009, 09:01:04 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 30, 2009, 08:46:14 AM
I was on the Iowa bandwagon big time when Chuck Long was leading the troops.  And then Ronnie Harmon fumbled 11 times in the Rose Bowl.

Never again.

I was at that Rose Bowl. He also threw a halfback-pass about five rows into the stands (quite a feat in that stadium). There is little doubt in my mind that Ronnie Harmon did his part for some reason (Norby Walters) to assure an Iowa loss in that game. He also had some pretty suspicious drops in an NFL playoff game several years later. I generally scoff pretty quickly at conspiracy theories, but Ronnie Harmon and NBA refs deserve a look.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #393 on: October 30, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 08:45:15 AM
Quote from: Dave B on October 30, 2009, 08:41:55 AM
So you only subscribe to computers that support your cause?

Except that one does support my cause, in that Iowa isn't #1. My argument isn't merely that Texas is better than Iowa, although they are. My argument is that Iowa does not under any circumstance belong in a national title game. In general I don't support any computer rankings. My point is that if you want to use some asshole's random blog for computer rankings, I can find another guy that has his own methodology that doesn't have them at #1. The point is that just because something is compiled on a computer, that doesn't mean there isn't such a thing as human error.

I consult some asshole's random blog for everything I need in life.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #394 on: October 30, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2009, 08:56:46 AM

I dont' have to, and I don't care. You've gone from using the computers as justification for Iowa deserving a shot at the national title game to using them as justification for Iowa being better than Texas, and as I've said, I don't give a shit about computer rankings when everybody uses a different methodology to compose them and far too often the computer's favorite gets the crap kicked out of them by a one loss team from a different conference that's much stronger (2006 OSU-Florida, 2007 Ohio State LSU). You've decided to use computer rankings as your champion because all of the stupid humans don't have Iowa anywhere near the championship game.At some point those same computers will turn against Iowa when Texas or whoever else from the Big 12 of SEC has to play a few road games and then a conference championship game, and then you'll find someway to dispute the computers.

Why you think your team is somehow the exception to the half decade long string of Big Ten champions that have racked up 10+ wins in a piss poor conference and gotten their asses handed to them in the BCS, I don't know. You'll have to tell me where you see this vast improvement in the Big 10 that suddenly makes Iowa's schedule so daunting, or why that schedule has something to do with them being unable to score consistently against UNI or Arkansas State. The fact is that the only people on this damn fringe messageboard who can't see that the Big 10 sucks, or that Iowa's just the biggest dick at summer camp, are Iowa fans. I'm done. I'll see you back here when Iowa loses at Ohio State or USC skins them alive in the Rose Bowl.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #395 on: October 30, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 30, 2009, 09:01:04 AM
I was on the Iowa bandwagon big time when Chuck Long was leading the troops.  And then Ronnie Harmon fumbled 11 times in the Rose Bowl.

Never again.

I was at that Rose Bowl. He also threw a halfback-pass about five rows into the stands (quite a feat in that stadium). There is little doubt in my mind that Ronnie Harmon did his part for some reason (Norby Walters) to assure an Iowa loss in that game. He also had some pretty suspicious drops in an NFL playoff game several years later. I generally scoff pretty quickly at conspiracy theories, but Ronnie Harmon and NBA refs deserve a look.

I was only 13 and had no proof, but my first thought was that he was throwing the game.  Didn't he fumble twice on the goal line?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #396 on: October 30, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »
This whole discussion will be moot after Indiana beats Iowa by two touchdowns tomorrow.  Right, TJ? 

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #397 on: October 30, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 09:09:17 AM
I dont' have to, and I don't care.
Quitter.

You've gone from using the computers as justification for Iowa deserving a shot at the national title game to using them as justification for Iowa being better than Texas
Um...  If they are better than Texas, and both end up undefeated, they get a shot at the title.  The two points are the same.

and as I've said, I don't give a shit about computer rankings when everybody uses a different methodology to compose them
But they are nearly all saying the same thing despite the different methodologies.  That suggests something.

At some point those same computers will turn against Iowa when Texas or whoever else from the Big 12 of SEC has to play a few road games and then a conference championship game
Let's see how this plays out.

I'll see you back here when Iowa loses at Ohio State
Which, I've already said many times, is going to happen.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #398 on: October 30, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 30, 2009, 09:12:22 AM

Never again.

I was only 13 and had no proof, but my first thought was that he was throwing the game.  Didn't he fumble twice on the goal line?
Yes.  And he and his brother sat in the hotel afterward drinking and laughing.

Fucker actually ended up being a Bear for a few games.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #399 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:14 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2009, 09:36:42 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 09:09:17 AM
I dont' have to, and I don't care.
Quitter.

You've gone from using the computers as justification for Iowa deserving a shot at the national title game to using them as justification for Iowa being better than Texas
Um...  If they are better than Texas, and both end up undefeated, they get a shot at the title.  The two points are the same.

and as I've said, I don't give a shit about computer rankings when everybody uses a different methodology to compose them
But they are nearly all saying the same thing despite the different methodologies.  That suggests something.

At some point those same computers will turn against Iowa when Texas or whoever else from the Big 12 of SEC has to play a few road games and then a conference championship game
Let's see how this plays out.

I'll see you back here when Iowa loses at Ohio State
Which, I've already said many times, is going to happen.

No, an undefeated Iowa will not be ahead, even by the computers, of an undefeated Texas. The computers will favor a 13-0 Texas with an extra neutral site, quality win in the Big 12 Title game over a 12-0 team that sat idle that last week every single time. And in the computer rankings I've seen, Iowa's been as high as #1 or as low as #7. Considering that's the difference between national title game or possibly missing the BCS entirely, I'd hardly say that's "nearly the same thing."

But god damnit. I am done. Stop this. You are an evil, petty little man and I will not be dragged into this any further. I will take this and Soriano's 07-08 seasons to the grave as proof that 10.17(c) is the only infallible axiom on Atheismo's depraved Earth.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #400 on: October 30, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2009, 09:44:59 AM
Quote from: MAD on October 30, 2009, 09:12:22 AM

Never again.

Yes.  And he and his brother sat in the hotel afterward drinking and laughing.

Fucker actually ended up being a Bear for a few games.

Now  that I DON'T remember.  Must have been Wannstedtian.  I had that era surgically removed from my memory.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #401 on: October 30, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2009, 08:56:46 AM

Oh, and what the hell. Here you go buddy:
http://www.cfrc.com/Ratings_2009/WK_8.htm

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #402 on: October 30, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 09:49:14 AM
The computers will favor a 13-0 Texas with an extra neutral site, quality win in the Big 12 Title game over a 12-0 team that sat idle that last week every single time.
We shall see.

And in the computer rankings I've seen, Iowa's been as high as #1 or as low as #7. Considering that's the difference between national title game or possibly missing the BCS entirely, I'd hardly say that's "nearly the same thing."
But always higher than Texas.

I will take this and Soriano's 07-08 seasons to the grave as proof that 10.17(c) is the only infallible axiom on Atheismo's depraved Earth.
That's your proof?

www.theflatearthsociety.org/

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #403 on: October 30, 2009, 10:19:08 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 30, 2009, 10:13:47 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 30, 2009, 09:49:14 AM
The computers will favor a 13-0 Texas with an extra neutral site, quality win in the Big 12 Title game over a 12-0 team that sat idle that last week every single time.
We shall see.

And in the computer rankings I've seen, Iowa's been as high as #1 or as low as #7. Considering that's the difference between national title game or possibly missing the BCS entirely, I'd hardly say that's "nearly the same thing."
But always higher than Texas.

I will take this and Soriano's 07-08 seasons to the grave as proof that 10.17(c) is the only infallible axiom on Atheismo's depraved Earth.
That's your proof?

www.theflatearthsociety.org/

Ahem. Just look one post above your last one. It's that simple, and that's one of the 6 used in the BCS rankings. Now I'm off to class, so this actually Is done.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #404 on: October 31, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
I still really have no clue how good Iowa's football team is. I'll just let that all play out. But I'm done speculating on one thing. Bob Davie is the worst announcer in sports. He makes Tim McCarver look like John Madden circa 1985. My head is fucking throbbing right now. Oh my goodness gracious me.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.