News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,135 )

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 08, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
Quote from: air2300 on November 07, 2009, 10:47:43 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 07, 2009, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: air2300 on November 07, 2009, 05:54:56 PM
Quote from: CT III on November 07, 2009, 05:11:10 PM
DPD

Down goes Notre Dame!

Que ANGRY Kermit.
Not looking forward to all the Urban to Notre Dame rumors.   

Didn't Paul Hornung get in all sorts of trouble for talking about that?
I thought it was because of him saying that ND needs to lower the admission standards so more black athletes can get in.   

That's what Apex was refering to.

urban = black

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #451 on: November 08, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »
Quote from: Tony on November 07, 2009, 05:21:24 PM
This has to be the end of Charlie, right?

God, I hope so.  Navy is not a bad team, but losing twice to them at home in three years is unacceptable.  And the Urban Meyer rumors are stupid.  What coach from a major program would want to leave a good job to coach at Notre Dame right now?  At least now there won't be a bunch of ND apologists insisting that they deserve the right to get the shit beat out of them in a BCS game.

FIRE EVERYONE!
Hire Jim Essian!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #452 on: November 08, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 08, 2009, 11:37:37 AM
Quote from: Tony on November 07, 2009, 05:21:24 PM
This has to be the end of Charlie, right?

God, I hope so.  Navy is not a bad team, but losing twice to them at home in three years is unacceptable.  And the Urban Meyer rumors are stupid.  What coach from a major program would want to leave a good job to coach at Notre Dame right now?  At least now there won't be a bunch of ND apologists insisting that they deserve the right to get the shit beat out of them in a BCS game.

FIRE EVERYONE!

Lovie

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #453 on: November 08, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
Quote from: BBM on November 08, 2009, 01:47:26 AM
Quote from: air2300 on November 07, 2009, 10:47:43 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 07, 2009, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: air2300 on November 07, 2009, 05:54:56 PM
Quote from: CT III on November 07, 2009, 05:11:10 PM
DPD

Down goes Notre Dame!

Que ANGRY Kermit.
Not looking forward to all the Urban to Notre Dame rumors.   

Didn't Paul Hornung get in all sorts of trouble for talking about that?
I thought it was because of him saying that ND needs to lower the admission standards so more black athletes can get in.   

That's what Apex was refering to.

urban = black

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #454 on: November 12, 2009, 10:13:49 AM »

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #455 on: November 12, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 12, 2009, 10:13:49 AM
I'm happy for you, Kerm. I really am.

If Charlie gets fired and they don't hire Chris Peterson, they should just cancel the football program.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #456 on: November 12, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »

I'm pretty much on the "anyone but Weis" bandwagon, at this point.  I don't know how Gruden's style would go over with 18-year-old kids, but he really does love ND, so I'm sure the effort would be there.  And they'd probably make sweet Chuckie leprechaun dolls.
Hire Jim Essian!

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 12, 2009, 10:26:30 AM

I'm pretty much on the "anyone but Weis" bandwagon, at this point.  I don't know how Gruden's style would go over with 18-year-old kids, but he really does love ND, so I'm sure the effort would be there.  And they'd probably make sweet Chuckie leprechaun dolls.

You say that now, but wait until his first recruiting class consists of nothing but quarterbacks.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:31 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on November 12, 2009, 10:52:46 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 12, 2009, 10:26:30 AM

I'm pretty much on the "anyone but Weis" bandwagon, at this point.  I don't know how Gruden's style would go over with 18-year-old kids, but he really does love ND, so I'm sure the effort would be there.  And they'd probably make sweet Chuckie leprechaun dolls.

You say that now, but wait until his first recruiting class consists of nothing but quarterbacks.

Here's a little secret: Jon Gruden is fucking terrible at developing players and that's why he ran Tampa Bay into the fucking ground. The only young quarterback he's ever even attempted to develop in his career was Chris Simms, who was drafted against Gruden's wishes (the story goes that on draft day in 2003, when the Bucs took Simms, Gruden charged into the GM's office and screamed "You never fucking draft a quarterback without asking me first.") Had Griese not ruptured his ACL Simms would never have gotten a chance. He's not going to have the time or the patience to develop anybody. The guy's one success at developing, hell, not even that, just improving, a player is Rich Gannon, who was a 34 year old ten year veteran when Gruden got him. If Notre Dame's gonna swallow that idiotic contract and get the crane out to chuck fatso overboard they'd better go after Brian Kelly of Cincinnati or Chris Petersen. Gruden? Give me a break. At least we know how film sessions will go:

Gruden: You see that! You just made a play! That's a play maker right there! You just made a football play! That's all you are, a guy who goes out and makes plays on a football field.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2009, 11:58:02 AM »
Oh, I don't think Gruden would be any good.  I just hate Weis, and I'm resigned to the fact that Notre Dame is never going to be relevant again, so they might as well turn the football program into a carnival.
Hire Jim Essian!

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #460 on: November 12, 2009, 12:43:47 PM »
I thought you all would want to know that Wanny has been "rebranded."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-rebranding-of-Dave-Wannstedt.html

Everything about this piece, down to the author's bio is hilariously awful.  The only thing it gets right is that it would be hilarious if his college coaching internship lasts longer than Fat Charlie's.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #461 on: November 12, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on November 12, 2009, 12:43:47 PM

Everything about this piece, down to the author's bio is hilariously awful.  The only thing it gets right is that it would be hilarious if his college coaching internship lasts longer than Fat Charlie's.

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAN.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #462 on: November 12, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »

These four sentences are well-written:

QuoteAfter that 2005 opener which saw both Wannstedt and Weis leading their alma maters, both men have traveled down divergent paths after high expectations were placed upon them to instantly change the culture of their new programs and return the teams to national prominence.
Hire Jim Essian!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #463 on: November 12, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »

Everything about this piece, down to the author's bio is hilariously awful.  The only thing it gets right is that it would be hilarious if his college coaching internship lasts longer than Fat Charlie's.

I would think you would be somewhat happy with Wannstedt right now.  The guy ended up a disaster here, but in fairness to him, there's something that might be going right for him at Pitt.  Of course, if they lose to ND on Saturday, forget everything I just said.

I remember it like it was yesterady when Wanny and Chew Chew Charlie made their college head coaching debut on the same field in September, 2005.  ND kicked the hell out of Pitt, Wanny was doing his "anxiously combing hand through hair" routine that we had grown all-too familiar with whilst he was coaching the Bears, and life was glorious, at least for those of us who were Bears fans while also backing the Irish.  Holy crud have the times changed since then.  CFiHP's irrational agenda notwithstanding, Wanny's getting the last laugh right now.  

Again, please ignore this post if Coach Frontbutt and Crew somehow fall ass backwards--a la Cosmo Kramer--into a win Saturday, which would be a horrible setback for a Pitt program that still has some tough games ahead this season.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #464 on: November 12, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 12, 2009, 12:51:28 PM

These four sentences are well-written:

QuoteAfter that 2005 opener which saw both Wannstedt and Weis leading their alma maters, both men have traveled down divergent paths after high expectations were placed upon them to instantly change the culture of their new programs and return the teams to national prominence.

Holy BC is that painful to read.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)