News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,167 )

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »
QuoteThe bottom line is that Wannstedt didn't have a chance to succeed in Chicago because he wasn't Da Coach.

Yeah, that's the reason why Wanny didn't have a chance to succeed in Chicago.

Good god this writer is awful.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »
Quote from: MAD on November 12, 2009, 12:56:08 PM
 CFiHP's irrational agenda notwithstanding, Wanny's getting the last laugh right now.  

I have an agenda?

Wanny's track record is 1 Bowl Game in 5 years, and a 3-0 shutout to Oregon St. in that bowl game.

He has a good record now, but the one loss on Pitt's schedule tells more about any of their wins against mediocre to bad teams.  The last three weeks will tell the story about this season...but Cincy could still lose to Illinois and then to Pitt.  Even if Pitt wins out, it could be a BCS team w/o a win over a BCS Top 20 school (and if Cincy loses to Illinois, perhaps Top 30).

I'll be excited we're in a BCS game, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that Pitt's program or Wanny's coaching is anything close to good.

The best thing that you can say about him is what you could say about his Fins' tenure.  If you give him a little talent and a weak schedule, he can beat most of the teams on that schedule.  That's a ringing endorsement...
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on November 12, 2009, 03:09:35 PM
 CFiHP's irrational agenda notwithstanding, Wanny's getting the last laugh right now.  

I have an agenda?

Wanny's track record is 1 Bowl Game in 5 years, and a 3-0 shutout to Oregon St. in that bowl game.

He has a good record now, but the one loss on Pitt's schedule tells more about any of their wins against mediocre to bad teams.  The last three weeks will tell the story about this season...but Cincy could still lose to Illinois and then to Pitt.  Even if Pitt wins out, it could be a BCS team w/o a win over a BCS Top 20 school (and if Cincy loses to Illinois, perhaps Top 30).

I'll be excited we're in a BCS game, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that Pitt's program or Wanny's coaching is anything close to good.

The best thing that you can say about him is what you could say about his Fins' tenure.  If you give him a little talent and a weak schedule, he can beat most of the teams on that schedule.  That's a ringing endorsement...

Is Cincy not planning on showing up for the game? I hadn't heard anything.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on November 12, 2009, 12:43:47 PM
I thought you all would want to know that Wanny has been "rebranded."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-rebranding-of-Dave-Wannstedt.html

Everything about this piece, down to the author's bio is hilariously awful.  The only thing it gets right is that it would be hilarious if his college coaching internship lasts longer than Fat Charlie's.

I would think you would be somewhat happy with Wannstedt right now.  The guy ended up a disaster here, but in fairness to him, there's something that might be going right for him at Pitt.  Of course, if they lose to ND on Saturday, forget everything I just said.

I remember it like it was yesterady when Wanny and Chew Chew Charlie made their college head coaching debut on the same field in September, 2005.  ND kicked the hell out of Pitt, Wanny was doing his "anxiously combing hand through hair" routine that we had grown all-too familiar with whilst he was coaching the Bears, and life was glorious, at least for those of us who were Bears fans while also backing the Irish.  Holy crud have the times changed since then.  CFiHP's irrational agenda notwithstanding, Wanny's getting the last laugh right now.  

Again, please ignore this post if Coach Frontbutt and Crew somehow fall ass backwards--a la Cosmo Kramer--into a win Saturday, which would be a horrible setback for a Pitt program that still has some tough games ahead this season.

Really? Because he's having a modicum of success in the one conference that the Big Ten can legitimately claim to out rank in a lesser league of football? Yes, I'm shutting up about the complete and abysmal failure the Wannstache was in Chicago because he's managed to win a few ball games over Youngstown State, Buffalo, Navy, Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse, and South Florida.The teams Pitt has beaten are 36-42 (.462%), and not a one of them ranks higher than 4th place in any of their respective conferences. The team that beat Pitt was NC State, and they're 4-5 and in 5th place in the ACC Coastal. Woop de damn doo, Wanny's got a top ten team. Has anyone actually Looked at the state of college football this year? Ohio State is back in the top ten somehow, the 4-6 teams are TCU, Cincinnati, and Boise State, and USC is somehow ranked #11, with Oregon at #14, just a week after Oregon beat USC by 27! points. Fuck Wannstache. He hasn't done a fucking thing in his entire career that screams anything other than "I'm mediocre at best, a god damned yinzer accented, franchise destroying, hair-lipped fucktard at worst."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 12, 2009, 03:33:03 PM

Everything about this piece, down to the author's bio is hilariously awful.  The only thing it gets right is that it would be hilarious if his college coaching internship lasts longer than Fat Charlie's.

I would think you would be somewhat happy with Wannstedt right now.  The guy ended up a disaster here, but in fairness to him, there's something that might be going right for him at Pitt.  Of course, if they lose to ND on Saturday, forget everything I just said.

I remember it like it was yesterady when Wanny and Chew Chew Charlie made their college head coaching debut on the same field in September, 2005.  ND kicked the hell out of Pitt, Wanny was doing his "anxiously combing hand through hair" routine that we had grown all-too familiar with whilst he was coaching the Bears, and life was glorious, at least for those of us who were Bears fans while also backing the Irish.  Holy crud have the times changed since then.  CFiHP's irrational agenda notwithstanding, Wanny's getting the last laugh right now.  

Again, please ignore this post if Coach Frontbutt and Crew somehow fall ass backwards--a la Cosmo Kramer--into a win Saturday, which would be a horrible setback for a Pitt program that still has some tough games ahead this season.

Really? Because he's having a modicum of success in the one conference that the Big Ten can legitimately claim to out rank in a lesser league of football? Yes, I'm shutting up about the complete and abysmal failure the Wannstache was in Chicago because he's managed to win a few ball games over Youngstown State, Buffalo, Navy, Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse, and South Florida.The teams Pitt has beaten are 36-42 (.462%), and not a one of them ranks higher than 4th place in any of their respective conferences. The team that beat Pitt was NC State, and they're 4-5 and in 5th place in the ACC Coastal. Woop de damn doo, Wanny's got a top ten team. Has anyone actually Looked at the state of college football this year? Ohio State is back in the top ten somehow, the 4-6 teams are TCU, Cincinnati, and Boise State, and USC is somehow ranked #11, with Oregon at #14, just a week after Oregon beat USC by 27! points. Fuck Wannstache. He hasn't done a fucking thing in his entire career that screams anything other than "I'm mediocre at best, a god damned yinzer accented, franchise destroying, hair-lipped fucktard at worst."

Let me tell you a little something about gauging strength of schedule on the combined records of your opponents ...

[/stickpokery]

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2009, 03:56:05 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 12, 2009, 03:50:32 PM

Let me tell you a little something about gauging strength of schedule on the combined records of your opponents ...

[/stickpokery]

That the Big East sucks nearly as much, if not more so, as the Big Ten and that just as Iowa's narrow victories over the "best" Big Ten teams were hollow, so are Pitt's victories over the shittiest of shit teams from the Big East?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 12, 2009, 03:50:32 PM

[/stickpokery]

Let me tell you something about Pat Fitzgerald.  He can take his'n and beat Iowa, and he can take your'n and beat Iowa.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »
I appreciate SKO's beatdown as I'll gladly defer to him for football thoughts and things, but is the Big East really that bad...I mean worse than the Big 10?  

What about Miami and VA Tech.  Good, yes?

And Pat Fitzgerald's hilarious.  He quotes his old mentor Gary Barnett like he's not an opportunistic scumdouche, and he apparently truly believes that Northwestern has been a perennial power since he had been roaming the middle for that '95 team that began NU's current bowl winless streak by getting spanked in Pasadena by Keyshawn and Co.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Quote from: MAD on November 12, 2009, 05:40:58 PM
I appreciate SKO's beatdown as I'll gladly defer to him for football thoughts and things, but is the Big East really that bad...I mean worse than the Big 10?  

And Pat Fitzgerald's hilarious.  He quotes his old mentor Gary Barnett like he's not an opportunistic scumdouche, and he apparently truly believes that Northwestern has been a perennial power since he had been roaming the middle for that '95 team that began NU's current bowl einless streak by getting spanked in Pasadena by Keyshawn and Co.

Outside perspective from someone who doesn't really know anything about college football:

Pat Fitzgerald seems like a pretty good coach.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »

And Pat Fitzgerald's hilarious.  He quotes his old mentor Gary Barnett like he's not an opportunistic scumdouche, and he apparently truly believes that Northwestern has been a perennial power since he had been roaming the middle for that '95 team that began NU's current bowl einless streak by getting spanked in Pasadena by Keyshawn and Co.

They left the Big East for the ACC in 2004. Jesus.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 12, 2009, 06:00:44 PM

They left the Big East for the ACC in 2004. Jesus.

Yes?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 12, 2009, 05:50:00 PM

Outside perspective from someone who doesn't really know anything about college football:

Pat Fitzgerald seems like a pretty good coach.

That's because he is.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2009, 08:43:07 AM »
NIU!

When do we play Alabama?
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »
Quote from: MAD on November 13, 2009, 08:43:07 AM
NIU!

When do we play Alabama?

Indoor track season?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #479 on: November 13, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Since the Huskies already took down Bama in Tuscaloosa a few years ago, they'll never get invited back.

Jerry Kill is a really good football coach.  He looks like he should be living under a bridge, so DeKalb's a perfect place for him long-term, but I think they did good when they picked him when Joe Novak retired.

If they win at Ohio next week then they go to Central Michigan for a chance to win their half of the MAC, and then play in front of 1200 of their best friends in Ford Field for the MAC title.