News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,237 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #495 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 16, 2009, 11:27:37 AM
Quote from: Andy on November 16, 2009, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 16, 2009, 09:57:31 AM
Weis haters rejoice.  Rumor has it that Fat Charlie was told last week he's out after this season, which would explain why he was even more ornery and dickish about throwing his players under the bus after the Navy game.  Rumor has it his replacement will be (and I'm not sure how much I believe this) Tony Dungy.

The only thing I can think of is that Dungy has a connection with Swarbrick, the new AD, since I think Swarbrick's firm is the one that worked on the deal for the new stadium.  As long as their coach next year is NotWeis, I'll be happy.

Dungy?  Molder of men, destroyer of pregame shows?  Are there any Vick brothers left to recruit?

This sounds like one of those rumors that makes a lot of sense on paper (strong Christian values, loves to work with youth) but has no basis in reality.

It's got to be Brian Kelly or Chris Peterson, assuming either of those guys would be willing to leave a successful program for a shitty one.

Peterson wasn't on their rumored list.  It was Stoops, Dungy, and Kelly.  I doubt Stoops would ever want to leave OU (why would he?), but even with the ND football program in total disarray, I would assume Kelly would take it.  It's still a prestigious (if completely shitty) football job.  Dungy was totally out of left field, but I don't think my buddy would have passed the rumor along if it didn't have some legs.

But whoever the hell it is, the important thing here is that the 2010 ND football coach is apparently not going to be Front Butt.  Huzzah!
Hire Jim Essian!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: November 16, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
Weis haters rejoice.  Rumor has it that Fat Charlie was told last week he's out after this season, which would explain why he was even more ornery and dickish about throwing his players under the bus after the Navy game.  Rumor has it his replacement will be (and I'm not sure how much I believe this) Tony Dungy.

The only thing I can think of is that Dungy has a connection with Swarbrick, the new AD, since I think Swarbrick's firm is the one that worked on the deal for the new stadium.  As long as their coach next year is NotWeis, I'll be happy.

Dungy?  Molder of men, destroyer of pregame shows?  Are there any Vick brothers left to recruit?

This sounds like one of those rumors that makes a lot of sense on paper (strong Christian values, loves to work with youth) but has no basis in reality.

It's got to be Brian Kelly or Chris Peterson, assuming either of those guys would be willing to leave a successful program for a shitty one.

Turning the ND program around isn't exactly a Herculean task. Their TV contract guarantees any player maximum exposure, and the Irish's PR Department can certainly gear up a trophy campaign once a half-decent player comes along. All this leads to easy recruiting of studs from around the country.

It takes a pretty special coach to be able to screw the pooch at Notre Dame as thoroughly as Frontbutt did.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: November 16, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 16, 2009, 11:42:28 AM

Turning the ND program around isn't exactly a Herculean task. Their TV contract guarantees any player maximum exposure, and the Irish's PR Department can certainly gear up a trophy campaign once a half-decent player comes along. All this leads to easy recruiting of studs from around the country.

It takes a pretty special coach to be able to screw the pooch at Notre Dame as thoroughly as Frontbutt did.

Really?
Davie, Willingham and now Charlie have all done a pretty bad job as coach there (or at least have mediocre results), and they were all (presumably) pretty good hires at the time.

I don't think this is as easy and you portray it to be.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: November 16, 2009, 11:53:29 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 16, 2009, 11:51:03 AM

Really?
Davie, Willingham and now Charlie have all done a pretty bad job as coach there (or at least have mediocre results), and they were all (presumably) pretty good hires at the time.

Yeah, this isn't the 1980s. Everybody plays on TV now. And you don't have to go to class or know how to read to play for most major Div. I programs.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: November 16, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 16, 2009, 11:53:29 AM

Really?

Yeah, this isn't the 1980s. Everybody plays on TV now. And you don't have to go to class or know how to read to play for most major Div. I programs.

Charlie's had some fairly high ranked recruiting classes come in, but done nothing with them. The problem seems to be the coaching, not finding literate players.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: November 16, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Quote from: Tony on November 16, 2009, 12:04:08 PM

Really?

Charlie's had some fairly high ranked recruiting classes come in, but done nothing with them. The problem seems to be the coaching, not finding literate players.

They say that Claussen, Tate , and Floyd are surefire 1st rounders?  This true?  That Hawaiian linebacker (the OTHER #5) Manteo (?) seems like he could be good too, although I don't know if he's NFL prospect material.  Kinda short, maybe.  Anyway, there would actually seem to be some talent there.

(JD--Stop your scoffing NOW, son)
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: November 16, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »

Dungy's an evangelical Baptist.

Granted, in recent years conservative evangelicals have been finding a bit more ecumenical common ground with those pagans in the Vatican through abortion and the culture war.

And I don't recall hearing many prominent Baptists call the Pope the Antichrist in recent years.

Still... It's not exactly kismet.

But I wouldn't expect someone whose hands remain stained by the blood of our Lord to understand anyways, so back to talk of gunts and pooch-screwing...
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: November 16, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on November 16, 2009, 12:17:16 PM

Dungy's an evangelical Baptist.

Granted, in recent years conservative evangelicals have been finding a bit more ecumenical common ground with those pagans in the Vatican through abortion and the culture war.

And I don't recall hearing many prominent Baptists call the Pope the Antichrist in recent years.

Still... It's not exactly kismet.

But I wouldn't expect someone whose hands remain stained by the blood of our Lord to understand anyways, so back to talk of gunts and pooch-screwing...

Ehhh...they're all just non-chosen people to me.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: November 16, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »

These perceived ND advantages are long gone. Look at when ND hired Frontbutt, Urban Meyer never thought once about going there when Florida came calling with big money, plenty of TV exposure, and a rabid fanbase. All things that ND supposedly has over everyone else.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: November 16, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on November 16, 2009, 12:24:47 PM

These perceived ND advantages are long gone. Look at when ND hired Frontbutt, Urban Meyer never thought once about going there when Florida came calling with big money, plenty of TV exposure, and a rabid fanbase. All things that ND supposedly has over everyone else.

They're all still there. Bring in a half-decent coach and ND will once again become the Yankees of college football.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: November 16, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 16, 2009, 12:26:23 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on November 16, 2009, 12:24:47 PM

They're all still there. Bring in a half-decent coach and ND will once again become the Yankees of college football.

If they were Urban Meyer would be the coach right now.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: November 16, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
Since an NFL guy didn't work, a college head coach didn't work, a college coordinator didn't work I think ND will go the Catholic high school head coach route again and name Frank Lenti their next coach.

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: November 16, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 16, 2009, 12:43:38 PM
Since an NFL guy didn't work, a college head coach didn't work, a college coordinator didn't work I think ND will go the Catholic high school head coach route again and name Frank Lenti their next coach.

No Dan Sharp?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: November 16, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 16, 2009, 12:49:23 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 16, 2009, 12:43:38 PM

No Dan Sharp?

Stay away from Dan Sharp, hayseed.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: November 16, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »
Quote from: Tony on November 16, 2009, 12:04:08 PM

Really?

THI.  Charlie's recruiting hasn't been the problem (though one might argue that he should have focused a larger percentage of his considerable girth on recruiting defensive players).  His incompetence as a head coach has been.
Hire Jim Essian!